Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How do I learn C++ on Windows 8?

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
BodyMindSoul
Banned

Re: How do I learn C++ on Windows 8?

Post by BodyMindSoul »

oh ok thatll probably save me time searching for tutorials, download it now
Advertising
BodyMindSoul
Banned

Post by BodyMindSoul »

omG it worked!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

thank you!!!@@@@ god tutorial im gonna use it for the whole learning process :)
Advertising
StaticCodex

Post by StaticCodex »

Dont forget to check out the sample projects and APIs they will save you a lot of valuable time especially if you are rushing a project.
Instagram
2.02 TN-V / 1.67 ARK PS Vita | XBMC 150GB XBOX1 | FreeMCBoot PS2 | 6.60 PSPGO 32GB | R4 16gb NDSL
onnz423

Post by onnz423 »

Myabe monodevelop?

Monodevelop
wethegreenpeople

Post by wethegreenpeople »

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but since it's still pretty high up I'll do this in case any one else sees it.

Since it appears that you're brand new, I wouldn't suggest learning c++ unless you have a very specific application idea for it, just because c++ is a harder language to learn without any prior knowledge of coding. If you do have some experience with other languages, I'd say go for it.

Don't go with online tutorials for C++ because there are no good one's at the moment. They either teach outdated, or just straight up bad practices. If you want to learn c++, spend the money and buy a book. Here's an excellent list of books for what ever kind of programming you want to do. Personally, I'm reading through C++ primer 5th edition right now. What ever book you pick, do a bit of research about it and make sure it's a good one. Don't want to spend money on something that'll teach you bad habits.

Once you start learning to program you'll need a place to program. Most of the beginner books will teach you how to set everything up, but usually they're not very through. Usually you can find a video or something on youtube to help you along. Personally I like to code in command prompt/terminal, and just skip the IDE's all together, but that's a bit more intensive to set up than just downloading an IDE. If you want an IDE, just go ahead and download microsoft visual studio, that's a great one. Here's a list of your recommended IDE's.

If you want to go along the route of command line for whatever reason, you'll need to go ahead and download mingw, and follow the instructions here: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

Than you'll be all set to start coding from command prompt. One extra thing that I did though, is add a shortcut to terminal so I don't have to add flags everytime I want to compile something. Instructions here: http://mindinthewater.blogspot.com/2010 ... shell.html

Hope that helps you, and any one else looking to start programming! I'm a newbie myself, but I love to program and I love to help out any one that I can. :D

Return to “Programming”