Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Good programming language for beginner.

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
Archaga

Re: Good programming language for beginner.

Post by Archaga »

I registered just to reply here. While I definitely don't know the best way to start, I've recently started with JavaScript and it's been very fun so far. There are many free sources of material to get started but I suggest going over to Codecademy.com if you haven't heard of it. They have Java, Python, and quite a few web tools like HTML, Ruby, etc and plenty of other tutorials (available if you opt-in for Beta testing them). Their method is purely text-based, simple to follow, to the point and easy going. I learned more in 10 minutes there than long video lessons had tried to teach in other sources. Unfortunately they do not have C/C++ nor Visual Basics (But they plan on adding them eventually).

I apologize if it looks like I'm blatantly advertising that site, but I truly do recommend it, my group of friends and I have been using it to learn Java to learn basic programming since the game engine we're trying to learn to use is heavily reliant on JavaScript.
Advertising
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

RiotDX wrote:For a beginner, I would not recommend C or Java. I think the best thing to start out with would be Visual Basic.
I totally disagree. I started with BASIC and VB and it teaches you bad programming practices. I regret having lost so much time to learn real programming due to this.
Archaga wrote:I truly do recommend it, my group of friends and I have been using it to learn Java to learn basic programming since the game engine we're trying to learn to use is heavily reliant on JavaScript.
Java has nothing to do with JavaScript...
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

C/C++ is recommended by me
Reasons:
Easy to learn(To me it was easy)
Is used in most devices such as PSP, PC, and ETC.
Most language uses C to be bulid so if you know C it will help with alots of other lanuages
C is used to make Homebrews, and Exploits(vHBL which is common right now)
And its one of the common and popular in internet.
10 years young!
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Easy to learn(To me it was easy)
Not a valid reason to me. There are languages way easier (Python).
pspfanMOHH wrote:Is used in most devices such as PSP, PC, and ETC.
+1 Probably the languages that can be used to write programs for anything (from microprocessors to supercomputers). But I really don't like the expression "is used", it's confusing. Machines do not use any programming language, they only know binary (machine code). A more correct way to say this is "have compiler for most devices (architectures)" ;)
pspfanMOHH wrote:Most language uses C to be bulid so if you know C it will help with alots of other lanuages
Not really. I mean yes, other languages have their compilers/interpreters written in C, but this doesn't mean anything. If you mean other languages have a similar syntax, then somehow yes, but programming is more than just plain syntax :)
pspfanMOHH wrote:C is used to make Homebrews
Other languages are also used to make homebrews (LUA).
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

Thanks for clarifying my post I have horrible english sorry, get bad grades in ELA
10 years young!
watswat5

Post by watswat5 »

Java is a great platform to start. It's platform agnostic, so you can edit, compile and run your project once and have it run on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
It's well documented and widely used, so finding material on it should be as simple as a google search.
It's also available on Android phones, so mobile app development could be a possibility.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution." - Robert Sewell
onnz423

Post by onnz423 »

We just had course of C# (C sharp) At school it was pretty easy for beginner.
Different55

Post by Different55 »

I like Neko. It's pretty simple, actually, but the documentation could definitely be better, but you can pick it up in a fews days and I've had a lot of fun with it. Any function that Neko lacks can be added by compiling ndlls from C code. I made a test text adventure game, and I'm working on a simple IRC logger. It can be compiled into a standalone executable or a compiled .n file that can be run with the Neko virtual machine. Or you can just run the .neko file. Another good thing about Neko is that it works on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX.

If anyone is learning and has any questions, you can email me at jdiff55 at gmail dot com.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

onnz423 wrote:We just had course of C# (C sharp) At school it was pretty easy for beginner.
Bad thing about C# is that it's Microsoft's and thus limited to Windows.
Different55 wrote:I like Neko
First time I hear this language. Looks like nice, but you're not likely to find any job with this language. Also looking at its features you can basically study Java instead.
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

I started out with Python, now I know C, C++ and MIPS and I'm currently learning Java and x86. TBH, I would recommend a language that is general enough for you to learn the universal basics of programming, without getting into much language-specific details, from there on you can then focus on whatever language you prefer. Sadly I do not know any language where you can do this, I could recommend BASIC or Visual Basic, but my experience with BASIC is small and my experience with Visual Basic is null.

Return to “Programming”