- SDL 2.0 A.K.A SDL 1.3 has been approved, and now is in finalizing part, doing the last major bug.(Surely by the end of the year, or in the beginning of 2013, it has been developed since many year...) See here for any news about the release of SDL 2.0 : SDL 2.0 release thread
- A new version of Eclipse recently, codename Juno. Was released during the beginning of summer.
- A new version of Netbean: Netbean 7.2 In few week, it will be finally released after a release candidate that lasted like 1 month (Edit: Just released)
- Steam coming to Linux, will help indie programmer to release more game to Linux more easily. (Im talking about commercial game, its sure it won't help open-source game to be released...) By the end of the year.
- GTK 3 get more update, and now is viable (last year, GTK 2 was still the standard, but now, GTK 3 is the new standard)
- Kernel 3.x is now the standard for Linux
What else should we watch for this year/next year??
(What about the new specification of C and C++??)