Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Nvidia GTX 970/980 PC, or stick with PS4(?)

Discuss Windows, Mac, or Linux Gaming (or other types of applications) here
CPUzX

Nvidia GTX 970/980 PC, or stick with PS4(?)

Post by CPUzX »

Hello, I'd like to start off by saying that I've never owned a "gaming" PC before; however I have previously owned many mid-range PC's back in the day. October 2014, I purchased a PS4. It's been awesome, but it has come to my attention that high profile gaming PC's of this very year are already light years ahead of the PS4. I've decided to do a little research on building my own PC, and I'm sure all of the other specs are fine, but my main concern is the video card.. I've understood from other sources that the GTX 970 is ahead of the PS4, but my actual question is:

is it worth building a gaming PC with the GTX 970/980 graphics card, even though I own a PS4 console? I could use it for video editing, photoshop, 1080p Youtube, and to focus more towards my knowledge on programming, sure, but what I'd like to know are your thoughts on the 'gaming' perspective?
There are many other benefits that I'm aware of, and I've definitely considered them with a PC of that power.
My current PC isn't quite capable of even watching a Youtube video on 720p, it's that weak.

The PS4 and the PC would both be capable of playing games at 1080p for most, and I've really been considering the PC for Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain, and GTA V, but I assume they are a real huge factor for processor resources. Thank you for your time!
Advertising
Tepoo

Re: Nvidia GTX 970/980 PC, or stick with PS4(?)

Post by Tepoo »

i did not expected that my first post on wololo will be like this, but okay :D

Hy CPUzX,

dont get me wrong, but your words are wrong. the PCs are not lightyears infront of the PS4 or XBoxOne.
i will explain you this in some detailed examples why, and what the advantages of a PS4 and PC are.

Hardware of a current mid/highrange pc:
CPU: i7 / amd with 4 cores and hyperthreading (4 real cores, 4 virtual)
RAM: 8-16GB DDR3 RAM
GC: 2GB - 4 GB GDDR5
HDD: SSD 256GB +

Hardware of a PS4:
CPU: dual 4 core cpu (8 real cores)
RAM: 8GB GDDR5 (if you calculate this as GDDR3 its 24GB as the bandwith of GDDR3 is ~25,6GB/s and GDDR5 is 75GB/s)
GC: he ps4 uses a modified version of the HD 7870 so 2GB GDDR5 i guess (the normal on is comparable to a GTX670, but its unknown what they modified)
HDD: HDD or SSD does not make a big difference

So as you can see, the PS4 compared to a current mid/highrange PC has 2 big advantages and one disadvantage.
the cpu contains 8 real cores, real cores are always faster and more efficient then 50% virtual cores.
also the RAM (and this is only a light calculation) can be compared with 24GB RAM of a normal PC. probably they modified also the ram and increased it speed.
The Graphiccard seems to suck hard, and nobody gets why.

But many developers who are trusted and well known, said that the PS4 and XBox One are not even close to have reached their limit. he expects a huge increase of quality and performance in the next years.
i can agree with this. the ps3 was starting very slow in quality too. the games became better and better over the years, because the developers learned how to code games efficient for them. look on the last of us, it was amazing on the PS3. and i remember 2010 when **** PC Fanboys said, the best Graphic which is possible on a ps3 is gta4. The PC has the advantage that developers are coding for it since 20+ years. they grown up with it. a console is always something new. its like working in a new language.

so whats better now? PC? PS4?
The Answer is, none of both. Because its not important which one is better, the only important thing is the following:

What do you want todo with this Hardware?
You want to play games, but also work with it, watch movies, youtube, twitter, facebook, bla? Take a PC.
You want to play games, and be sure that every game you buy will run flawless? Take a PS4.
You want to enjoy the games in the highest possible resolution, detailgrade and probably use mods to increase the quality? Take a PC for now.

Fanboys will always find a reason to tell you why a PC or PS4 is better. but the truth is, PS4 and PC are amazing.

Kind regards
Tepoo
Advertising
jesse131

Post by jesse131 »

Tepoos reply is a good one, but there are always other things to consider as well.
But before I start, I am going to say that I am a PC gamer, and I have not owned a PS4. I do have the old generation devices, multiple of them, but no current gen ones. Therefore I think I'll be able to give less of a biased answer (but it will likely be somewhat biased).

What platform are your friends playing on? If you like to play with your RL friends, just remember to consider that as well when deciding.
Would you kindly post your current specs as well? I would love to take a look at them, as GTX980 or GTX970 might be an overkill for the current ones and get bottlenecked.
LiquidShadow

Post by LiquidShadow »

CPUzX wrote: is it worth building a gaming PC with the GTX 970/980 graphics card, even though I own a PS4 console? I could use it for video editing, photoshop, 1080p Youtube, and to focus more towards my knowledge on programming, sure, but what I'd like to know are your thoughts on the 'gaming' perspective?
There are many other benefits that I'm aware of, and I've definitely considered them with a PC of that power.
My current PC isn't quite capable of even watching a Youtube video on 720p, it's that weak.
The arguments you mentioned are enough to justify a pc in my opinion.

But for my personal opinion know that I am a Omni Gamer XD
I prefer the pc but I also love my consoles(ps4 and xbone still missing in my collection). Also know that I am a Hardware enthusiast and that I had a throughout look at the current gen Hardware.

Since I dont want to start a senseless discussion I will simply say that a PC with that gpu is far stronger in every aspect. Add a i5 and you will be set for years. A i7 for Video editing maybe.
If you have the money to get one do so, simply because the ps4 limits you to games. Yes you can use youtube via the PS4 but thats it. But I suggest that you keep the PS4, since there are a few exclusives that you can only enjoy on PS4/Xbone for now at least. Also for playing with friends.
Also the Price point is not to be ignored. PC games are always cheaper and I am not even talking about keysites.

So in my opinion you should go for it. Maybe think about a amd 3XX card.
ErnieBall

Post by ErnieBall »

Another vote for PC. Higher Resolution, more frames per second, generally more advanced graphic features are just a few of many reasons to get a gaming PC.
I agree with LiquidShadow, that you should however wait a few weeks, until AMD released their 3xx graphic card series. Even if you don't get an AMD card, the rerlease of the 3xx series
is supposed to lower prices on both sides, AMD and Nvidia.
PSP 1004 6.60 ME
PSV 1000 3.60 HENKAKU
PS3 CECH-2004A FERROX 4.80 Cobra 7.3
dmaskell92

Post by dmaskell92 »

I refuse to buy another Blu-Ray console with cinavia, all this DRM does is make consumers who actually purchase movies angry. I will stick with my PC where most online servers are free, and DRM can be easily circumvented.
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD
shinrukuszero

Post by shinrukuszero »

Anyone ever realize that the most you'll get out of a good high end ($2500 retail/$1900-2300 DIY price range) computer is about 2 years max before you have to start putting graphics on Mid? I currently have a pretty sick Gaming laptop myself, but im not gonna depend on it to keep kicking out PS4 quality games for another 6-8 years without at least upgrading RAM (thats pretty much all I could do anyway, its a ROG laptop). My PS4/Xbox One systems will play consistently for at least another 10 years at its current quality. It's called PC "Master Race" for a reason, because like the popular kids, it takes hard work to maintain at the top, but consoles will always take very little modification to be consistently good. The most I have ever done to consoles to make them better is add bigger HDDs (not counting modding/jailbreaking/modchipping for extra features, im talking consistent, OOB, usage)
andomamo2

Post by andomamo2 »

I actually think a PC is the better option for a few small reasons. and if you already have ps4 keep it and maybe save up money to buy the new pc. :) Plus the thing is I love old school gaming too, like I think with a PC you can stick on older game in it and run it through an emulator but I dont think they have ps3 emulation yet :D , I don't like Xbox either so really think about what you can do with a pc versus a ps4 can do. look up on yutube too the mods for certain old games are pretty awesome. Im really planning on getting a gaming laptop too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndevh9OJXo my old pc can't handle too much anyway
mopoge

Post by mopoge »

Don't forget 4k gaming! You can get a decent 28" 4k monitor for ~$400-$500US now. By the holiday season, they'll be mainstream and cheaper. A couple of GTX970s in SLI (or a single Radeon 295x2)will get you up to speed with 4K gaming.

I don't think the current gen gaming systems will support 4k, though the PS4 has a leg up on the Xbox since they could easily change their name to PS4k if they were able to come out with a new hardware revision. :D
dexter62226

Post by dexter62226 »

ps4, its cheaper to buy a ps4 the ps4 will have more coverage when it comes to games,it will be supported by titles for years to come. i have both a gaming rig and a ps4 and id def say i enjoy the ps4 more, its more convient

Return to “Games/Applications”