Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Received Xbox Today!

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
pcmantinker

Received Xbox Today!

Post by pcmantinker »

I received my Xbox today and successfully softmodded and upgraded the hard disk! The hard disk upgrade was a little touchy as the system kept wanting to shutdown during the hot swap, but I eventually got it to cooperate. I'm really impressed by how well Surreal 64 CE works on the Xbox. I played through the intro of Donkey Kong 64, one of my favorite N64 games, and it was very playable! There are some slight graphical glitches, but I think I could play the game from start to end without a problem.

Now, I'm installing the rest of my emulators and exploring the wonders of my softmodded Xbox. The next thing I want to do is directly boot to XBMC instead of launching it as an application. Also, I found out that my Xbox is v1.1 and can be flashed if I wanted to do so. Is it a better experience to have the BIOS flashed? What advantages do I have over just a softmod?
Advertising
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Received Xbox Today!

Post by fate6 »

pcmantinker wrote:I received my Xbox today and successfully softmodded and upgraded the hard disk! The hard disk upgrade was a little touchy as the system kept wanting to shutdown during the hot swap, but I eventually got it to cooperate. I'm really impressed by how well Surreal 64 CE works on the Xbox. I played through the intro of Donkey Kong 64, one of my favorite N64 games, and it was very playable! There are some slight graphical glitches, but I think I could play the game from start to end without a problem.
Congrats!
pcmantinker wrote:Now, I'm installing the rest of my emulators and exploring the wonders of my softmodded Xbox. The next thing I want to do is directly boot to XBMC instead of launching it as an application. Also, I found out that my Xbox is v1.1 and can be flashed if I wanted to do so. Is it a better experience to have the BIOS flashed? What advantages do I have over just a softmod?
There are a few ways but the simplest would be to use the slayers or AID disk to set a new default dash, Also look up JX720 if you want the blades dash for XBMC(the first Xbox 360 dashboard)

the advantage of TSOP flashing it would be that its simply better in the long run since its the same as having a modchip, No more needing to lock the HDD so you can use any, Can boot from disk so if you brick it it is easily fixed

there are more like customizing the boot animation and text but honestly those are the "big" reasons iirc
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

It appears as though the power button likes to act up and cause the Xbox to shutdown randomly or shutdown at the slightest movement of the console. I've read that this is a common problem with original Xboxes, but a simple fix. I ordered a replacement power circuit board for $8 which is a bit cheaper than getting an Xbox for parts due to shipping costs. I may still get a second Xbox at some point so I can replace parts as needed. Since I'll need to take apart the Xbox down to the motherboard to get to the front panel, I will also do the TSOP solder points while I'm at it. Then I'll flash the BIOS.
Last edited by pcmantinker on Thu May 01, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Go for the X2 5035 BIOS, Can't be linked here like most Xbox stuff since its made with Microsoft's SDK but it should be in the usual places
(xbins)
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

It turns out that I have a 1.4 Xbox, not a 1.1. I don't know where the 1.1 came from. My Xbox has a Winbond BIOS so I installed the X2 4981 BIOS using the HeXEn bootdisk, not the PSP homebrew. I had to rebuild my entire hard drive as it messed up my F/G partitions which is a pain, but now my F partition is one big partition. It's nice to have the boot from CD/DVD option as a safety net in case I can't boot from hard disk. I also like the ability to upgrade my hard drive at will too. Can I boot without the DVD drive installed if I want to do a hard disk upgrade later on? This would be much safer than hotswapping the IDE cable while the Xbox is on.

Return to “Programming and Security”