Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Softmodded Original Xbox - play exploit game?

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
pcmantinker

Softmodded Original Xbox - play exploit game?

Post by pcmantinker »

Is it possible to play the exploit game on an original Xbox without disabling the exploit? In my case, this is Splinter Cell. Would you recommend I have the legitimate save for this game on a memory card or is there a way to have it coexist on the hard drive with the exploit save?
Advertising
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Softmodded Original Xbox - play exploit game?

Post by fate6 »

You don't need the save after you have the softmod done but I would very highly suggest keeping it in a memory card just incase
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

Thanks for the clarification. I read on a few guides that you should keep the exploit save installed afterwards, but it makes sense the custom dashboard would have all the required permissions to continue running unsigned code. The exploit save would only be needed if we had to run the exploit game every time we wanted to run unsigned code. I'll copy the exploit to a spare memory card and keep it as a backup.
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Yep just remember the golden rule of never mess with C:/ and you should be fine but also remember to make a backup of your systems EEPROM just in case something ever happens to the HDD you can use it to lock another drive for that system without needing that Xbox to actually work.

Depending on the version of Xbox and if you know how to solder then I would suggest going for a TSOP flash.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

Luckily I do have a soldering iron and some solder! I'll look into this method after everything is up and running. Is it a small surface mount BIOS or a DIP BIOS? I've never been all that successful with surface mount soldering.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Well first we need to find out what version Xbox you have to see if it is even possible, After tho its just bridging two points to enable write access on the BIOS so you can replace the stock BIOS with one for a modchip.
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

I will be getting it at the latest Wednesday this week. I'll post back after I've received it and determined the version of Xbox I have.

Return to “Programming and Security”