Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Original Xbox Softmod - Need OEM controller?

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
pcmantinker

Original Xbox Softmod - Need OEM controller?

Post by pcmantinker »

I'm getting ready to softmod an original Xbox, but the original Xbox I bought doesn't seem to have an OEM controller. Is it required to have an OEM controller for performing the Splinter Cell softmod? I have all of the other pieces ordered including a torx set (for opening up the Xbox), Halo 2 (may need to upgrade the dashboard), molex 4-pin Y adapter (for upgrading hard drive), Xbox USB female adapter (for using a flash drive as a memory card), and a WD 250GB EIDE hard drive. I know I'm a bit late to the original Xbox modding scene, but it doesn't support Xbox Live anymore so I'm not worried about being banned for having a modded firmware.
Advertising
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Original Xbox Softmod - Need OEM controller?

Post by fate6 »

Should work fine without one but I always use my Duke so I don't know
Upgrading the HDD via softmod is a bit tricky so focus on the initial softmod which since you have one of the exploitable games and you have a USB adapter will be very easy
I would update the dash before hand tho

EDIT:
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

This video looks great! I should be able to softmod early next week once all the pieces come in from the various places. I'll post back here after I've finished the initial softmod and installing XBMC4Xbox. I plan to use Chimp and the hotswap method to upgrade the hard drive, but after the initial softmod.
PSV 1000 (Henkaku Enso), PS4, New 3DS GW/Luma, Xbox 1.4 X2 BIOS, Xbox One, GB Micro/GBA SP (EZ Flash IV), Nintendo Switch
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Chimp is what I used for an HDD upgrade as well but iirc you will need an OEM controller for it, You will need to format the F partition before you can use the extra space as well but I don't remember what I used to do it
(also a G partition on anything above 120GB)
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
pcmantinker

Post by pcmantinker »

According to this guide, it says some non-Microsoft controllers might work. If there are any issues, then I should use an official Microsoft controller. I just ordered an official controller just in case I need it. It will be nice to have two controllers anyway too.

Return to “Programming and Security”