Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

The Official Programming Dictionary

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
pspfanMOHH

The Official Programming Dictionary

Post by pspfanMOHH »

Basic Programming Definitions

A

Abend: When a program, script, code, or task crashes without any errors or any warnings.
Synonyms: Abnormal End

ASCII: ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange its a code assigning CHAR, Colors, ETC a number.

Abstraction: reduces and factors out details so that a programmer/developer can focus on a few concepts at a time, rather than to start from unknown.

Absolute Coding: A type of programming using absolute address with the exact memory address rather then indirect.

Absolute address: real address, exact memory address of a machine.
Synonyms: Direct Address, Machine Address

Assembler: A program that converts assembly code to machine code.

Assembly language: A language used to interact with computers, its easier for humans to read assembly than binary since assembly is converted to binary numbers that computers can read.

Argument: In programming an argument is a command function that is passed on as binary through a compiler for the computer to run.

B

Bracket: Brackets are the opening and closing of a piece of code using { or [ to open and } or ] to close.

Internet Ex: "Brackets can be used in a variety of ways, including a basic textual manner to add additional or missing details ("It was an honor to do it [the presentation].")" Brackets has to do with sets and numbers, it is taught in 7-9 grade, I learned it myself in 7th grade regents.

Bug: Bug is a word that describes any unexpected problems with the software/program, a professional term to describe bug is an error.

Boolean: A Boolean consists of operators such as AND, OR, NOT, and XOR statements resulting in True or False statements.

C

C: C is commonly used to describe the C: drive or the first hard driver on compatibility computers. Now days C Driver is known as My Computer or the Computer file with any types of disks.

C, C++, C#: C, C++, C# are all high level programming languages, C# developed by microsoft, C is designed by Dennis Ritchie, C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup, Bell Labs. These languages are most commonly used by all programmers.

Char: It is short for character, which is a data type that holds one character (letter, number, etc.) of data such as "c", "9", or "#"

Code: A line of script that commands something.

Compile: To put everything together, process to creating an executable program that the computer can understand without the assembly factors.

Computer Science: The study of how computers work and knowledge of computer programming.

D

Debug: Taking a look at the code for any errors or bugs, a test run/drive.

Debugger: Is a program designed to run a piece of code to check for and errors/bugs.

Declare/ Declaration: To define a variable it's value or char.

Decompiler: A program that converts machine code back to a readable programming language/code to be read or modified.
Simplified: "Decompiler is a computer program that can convert/decode low-level abstraction which is binaries for computer to read to higher level abstraction for humans to read."(computerhope)

Dependent Variable: A variable that depends on a another variable for a value.

Developer: A person responsible for creating or working on a computer science related software.

H

High Level Programming Language: High Level programming language has a strong abstraction from the computer details, it is easier for humans to read and edit, and once its compiled the compiler converts the code to binary/low level language which computers can read and process.

L

Low Level Programming Languages: Low Level programming languages has little or no abstraction of the computer instructions, assembly language is a low level programming language, the computers can process it quick and understand. Example Code:

Code: Select all

00C353BB 01000000
LIB- Short word for Library

N

Null: The value of 0. AKA Nil

P

Program: A program is a sequence of codes the computer runs and is forming an app/game

Programmer: Programmer is a Developer.

V

Void: The termination of an argument.

Value: A value is something that is stored in a variable, or object. The value can be numeric or alphanumeric, it can also contain symbols.

Variable: A variable is a location where values are stored, a storage house. Or simpler definition would be a memory address.

Please post below for any questions, comments, corrections, request.
More words will be added
Advertising
Last edited by pspfanMOHH on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.
10 years young!
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: The Original Programming Dictionary

Post by Xian Nox »

Abnormal end would make more sense if it was when a program crashes, not when it completes normally.
pspfanMOHH wrote:C: C is commonly used to describe the C: drive or the first hard driver on compatibility computers. Now days C Driver is known as My Computer or the Computer file with any types of disks.
I lol'd.
pspfanMOHH wrote:C, C++, C#: C, C++, C# are all assembly languages developed by microsoft that are most commonly used by all programmers.
inb4 m0skit0
pspfanMOHH wrote:Value: A value is something that is stored in a variable, or object. The value can be numeric or alphanumeric, it can also contain symbols.
Computers do not read symbols. They care not how you interpret the data (0s and 1s) you store.
pspfanMOHH wrote:Variable: A variable is a location where values are stored, a storage house.
Somehow variables being readable names for memory addresses makes it easier to understand for me. If the memory is a storage house, variables would be the labels, their types would be the boxes, and their values would be the contents.
Advertising
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

Was I that bad? :| I will fix and add as I mentioned and it will be official dictionary
Edit: Was the microsoft part true? I found it somewhere in history of c in google, read it a long time ago
Edit2: Fixed the Abnormal one, Abend is a short of Abnormal end
10 years young!
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Edit: Was the microsoft part true? I found it somewhere in history of c in google, read it a long time ago
C and C++ have more to do with Bell Labs than Microsoft, C# is designed by them though. C is designed by Dennis Ritchie; C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup
pspfanMOHH

Re: The Official Programming Dictionary

Post by pspfanMOHH »

Updated OP thanks for the info, credits will come up when the thread grows
10 years young!
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

C# is all assembly languages? What does that mean? Yes C# compiles into ILAsm (which is an assembly language) but C# isn't an assembly language
Last edited by hgoel0974 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

*sees everything in Chinese & falls down*
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

all equals error, an equals correction
Edit: What nvm it says C, Cplusplus, C# are all assembly languages
10 years young!
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

pspfanMOHH wrote:Edit: What nvm it says C, Cplusplus, C# are all assembly languages
neither of them are assembly languages, and only C# was/is developed by microsoft
and, C# is not compiled, it's JIT compiled, just like Java or Python
Overall this dictionary greatly lacks and has way too many errors, I recommend you learn what you are trying to explain first, before actually trying to explain it
pspfanMOHH

Post by pspfanMOHH »

thanks for the info, yeah all start of threads are always lacky unless you edi in a file then release the final version that you think is perfect
10 years young!

Return to “Programming and Security”