Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Top 5 best game according to you (any platform)

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Discuss (Official) Games for your favorite platforms
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: Top 5 best game according to you (any platform)

Post by Xian Nox »

Let's see if I can make you lose faith in humanity even further.

Best five games imho but in no particular order:
Final Fantasy VI: I'm just a fanboi on this one. I greatly enjoyed its story, concept art and music, not to mention there is a good amount of fanart, including short stories and an awesome ocremix of the soundtrack.
Soul Sacrifice: a fairly recent game that I didn't think would be any good. Has one of the most interesting characters and storytelling, and a very well fleshed out world and mythology. On top of that, gameplay doesn't suffer at all, and doesn't have any artificially contrived parts.
Dishonored: similarly to Soul Sacrifice, has a great storyline, storytelling, characters and gameplay.
Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines: a gem imho, I hope there were more like it. Reason I like it is because I can choose everything in it: what my character was and is, and I have freedom how to approach objectives, and everything reacts to it.
Kerbal Space Program. Because making ridiculous flying contraptions is fun.
Advertising
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
DESTROYER_ONER

Post by DESTROYER_ONER »

My top 5 in no particular order

1. street fighter III 3rd strike
2.streets of rage 3
3.doom
4.cadillacs and dinosaurs
5.r-type(all of them)
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

m0skit0 wrote:Image
let's see if I can get your faith in humanity back:
1 - any PC game
2 - any PC game
3 - any PC game
4 - any PC game
5 - any PC game
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

DESTROYER_ONER wrote:2.streets of rage 3
3.doom
4.cadillacs and dinosaurs
5.r-type(all of them)
(Some) Faith in humanity restored
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Acid_Snake wrote:eat my ***
Come on baby, don't get hot yet, I'm just starting.

The point is most games listed here are no more than rehashes of other previous games with better graphics. I understand some people get "OMG!" with some games simply because it's the first time they play such a game. I'll try to explain:
Xian Nox wrote:Final Fantasy VI
Yeah, this one is a classic, but why VI and not the III, or even the original installment? And I don't really cherish japanese-style RPGs (except FFVII :mrgreen: ).
Xian Nox wrote:Soul Sacrifice
I don't even know what to say about SS... Yeah, good graphics, good gameplay, but again: nothing really new in the beat'em up class.
Xian Nox wrote:Dishonored
I agree that this game is great, awesome ideas, awesome gameplay, but one of the best games ever? Nope. Why? Because it's nothing new, just a rehashed concept ;) In fact Thief is the exact same idea. I loved this one too, but even so, I don't think Thief is one of the best games ever.
Xian Nox wrote:Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines
This game could be an excellent RPG if it hasn't that much dang bugs. One of the buggiest games I've ever played. I just end up uninstalling it every time. Too bad, the idea was excellent, the execution is a shame.
DESTROYER_ONER wrote:1. street fighter III 3rd strike
***** please... SF2. That is one of the best games ever, no doubt about it. It literally created a new genre.
DESTROYER_ONER wrote:2.streets of rage 3
A beat'em up classic, I loved to play this one in Megadrive, although for me Final Fight is THE beat'em up.
DESTROYER_ONER wrote:3.doom
This is definitely one of the best games ever, it simply defined what an FPS (one of the king genres nowadays) should be, and it is still was shamelessly copied everywhere. I wasted thousands of hours in the Doom shareware.
DESTROYER_ONER wrote:4.cadillacs and dinosaurs
Classic arcade beat'em up from Capcom (as usual), this one is one of the best beat'em ups ever hands down.
DESTROYER_ONER wrote:5.r-type(all of them)
R-Type is no doubt one of the best shoot'em ups of all time, with a bunch of new ideas, like the bouncing lasers in Super R-Type, but still the original shooter is Space Invaders ;)
Acid_Snake wrote:1 - any PC game
Nope :lol:
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

So much pressure.
Lets see if I do ok.

Myst: Masterpiece Edition - This title is simply wonderful. It took Myst from 8 to 24bit colour, and retained all the focus on ambience, the mystery of being alone, and the desire to explore, to discover what happened on this small island. So much has occurred, it expanded off into 4 more games, and 3 novels, just to cover it all. Myst set it all in motion, with a monologue, and then, solitude. The sound of moving between worlds shall never be forgotten. Myst is my favourite game ever, no contest.
One Must Fall: 2097 - Found it as a shareware, and couldn't play enough of it. An awesome fighter game, you play a mech pilot, either a premade story in arcade, or tournament mode as yourself, where you start out as a newbie, and slowly work your way to the top of the fighting world, or end up bumming for work as a mechanic to pay the bill on your damaged/destroyed mech. Its freeware now, so if you're a fan of mechas, fighters, or electronic music, grab DosBox, cause this is a game you must play.
Tyrian 2000 - An arcade style space-shooter, yet has story, progression, the ability to upgrade your ship, change your equipment, has numerous hidden levels, easter eggs, secrets, and even secrets within secrets. I never got a chance to buy the full version Tyrian back in the day, instead playing the life out of the shareware version, which itself still has loads of content. Like OMF:2097, Tyrian 2000 is now freeware easily playable via DosBox, and due to its source code being licensed out and rewritten in C, OpenTyrian has been ported to multiple platforms.
SimCity 2000 Special Edition + SimCopter - SimCity2k gave me a serious, yet paradoxically humorous, look at founding, designing, and keeping a city alive. I've played many games in this series and others like it, yet SimCity 2000 still holds its place, for its skilled balance of humour, fun, and responsibility. SimCopter took you from building your city from above, to exploring it up close as a freelance helicopter pilot, keeping that surreal humour, laced with serious responsibility. (I count these two together because of how much they compliment each other, and their inter-compatible savegames.)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edtion - This game had so much immersion and detail to it, I spent countless hours walking around this world, exploring, and simply taking it in. The battles may not be the strongest point in the game, but the amount of dialogue, and books to read, makes this world very deep, and something that has to be experienced.
m0skit0 wrote:
Xian Nox wrote:Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines
This game could be an excellent RPG if it hasn't that much dang bugs. One of the buggiest games I've ever played. I just end up uninstalling it every time. Too bad, the idea was excellent, the execution is a shame.
Troika was facing bankruptcy at the time, and despite the hard work of its devs, they were unable to polish it enough before it was pushed to market, even working unpaid to release as many patches as they could before their doors finally closed. Since that time, there is now Wesp5's unofficial patch, which solves the bugs, and lets it be played as it was intended (or toggle the unofficial patch into plus edition flavour, which expands upon it, without detracting from the lore.) Even now, nearly 10 years after VtM:B was released, this patch is still being updated.
I would highly recommend giving this game another chance.
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

Let me try my hand at this.

Metal Gear Solid: you know it's gonna be here so lets get over this. MGS is a timeless classic and a masterpiece that I somehow wonder how they could pull off with the PSX's hardware. The storyline is consuming and capable of injecting different emotions into the player without ever getting boring, the gameplay is unique and smooth in the world of stealth games without loosing one bit of action, the VR Missions guarantee many hours of gameplay (if you are lucky enough to own the VR Missions expansion, but hey, it's on the PSN) and while the game itself doesn't have any replay value (there's no real incentive for replaying it more than twice) you will find yourself playing it over and over and over again just to re-enjoy this jewel. I would have given my vote to Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake as it did the same this game did, but this game did it bigger and better, and on a worldwide scale.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: while Uncharted 2 and 3 have better graphics and the world around you seems more vivid, this one is the game that made the series what it is today, and I still enjoy it to this day. The storyline is a great, with both lovable and hate-able characters, the main plot that drives the whole story ends up blowing your mind towards the end, the game knows how to go from perfectly colorful and cheerful environments to pitch dark areas with perfect transitions between, the gameplay also knows how to move from full on battle to survival horror, again, with great transitions in between. The game is simply a masterpiece and it's what made me discover the Naughty Dogs studio and all the wonders that come out of them, I just can't wait for their next IP, too bad I can't buy The Last of Us.

Ratchet and Clank: another studio that never fails to impress me, Insomniac Games. This game perfectly combines platformers with explosions and big *** weapons. The overall storyline is mainly just to drive the gameplay and never stops cranking up a joke here and there to ease the stress of the game, cause the game can be very stressful and difficult most of the time. This game is all about the arsenal, there are a wide variety of weapons, all with their individual uniqueness, that you can use to achieve your goals, the game doesn't at all lack gadgets, puzzles and other elements from the platform genre.
While the other games of the series continue on this trait, it was the first game that created everything, and I mean everything.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: while GTA 3 was the father of these games, I find Vice City to be the best of the entire series. The storyline a lot deeper than simple "gangstah" stuff and other idiotic motives for the main character to go on a rampage, it's filled with interesting characters and plot twists that all evolve into its culprit . There's not much to say about the gameplay as we all know what's it all about. The overall atmosphere of the game is by far the best, not even Vice City Stories could come close. There's really nothing I can say that most of you already know about this game.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: you can say all you want about the CoD franchise today, and I will 100% agree with you: the series have become repetitive and greatly lacking any innovation whatsoever. Yet back then this game was different and a huge step for modern First Person Shooters introducing new gameplay elements that pretty much every new FPS now considers "standard". Just comparing its predecessor, CoD3, with this one you can see how much this game was a big leap in the FPS genre. I really enjoyed this game and all the new things it had in store for us, too bad the series turned into the milking cow it is today. The only other game I would put on par with this one when it comes to innovation would be Halo, but that one was an Xbox/PC exclusive, this one was multiplatform, that is the only reason I choose this one over Halo.
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

Acid_Snake wrote:Metal Gear Solid
Mhm, this did nice. First time Psycho Mantis is like, "wait, are games allowed to do that? o.O"
Acid_Snake wrote:Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Yes, it was nicer than 3. The charm of 3 is its jump to 3D, but VC took you from an errand boy to a character with depth. Plus 80's nostalgia ftw.
Acid_Snake wrote:Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Yep. Overall, it did well. Only fault I can think of was the brokenness of Juggernaut in MP. Few things worse as a bolt-action sniper than knowing half the enemy team can't be OHKO'd by bullets, even from headshots on Hardcore.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

jc_gargma wrote:Myst: Masterpiece Edition
One Must Fall: 2097
SimCity 2000 Special Edition + SimCopter
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edtion
Well this is one decent list at least, excellent games, although still not legendary games IMHO (except maybe SimCity) :mrgreen: Never played Tyrian though, and I would change Morrowind by Daggerfall. And I didn't know that about Vampire, I will check that out, thanks!

@Acid_Snake: not a single non-3D game? Kids these days... oh sorry, console kids these days... oh sorry, PS1 console kids these days! :lol: MGS you mean the 3D installement for PS1, correct? That is definitely a very good game, I loved it too, wasted so much time on it (and its sequel). And Modern Warfare is back then? *****, please... Yes, good game, very well made, that's all. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider rip-off, which in turn is a Prince of Persia 3D copy with a chick. One of the most overrated games I've seen. Yes, execution is nice, so what? There are a lot of well made games, are they all the best game of all times? I have it on PSV and it's boring as heck (big déjà vu everywhere). GTA: Vice City, and why not GTA3? Why not San Andreas? Because it was the first one you played? Come on dude, some objectivity here please... :roll:

And Acid_Snake, like it or not, gaming was first on PCs. Most genres were invented on PC. It's normal consoles suck, because they come always after... and too late ;) One day you will grow and you'll understand when kids come to you saying CoD 2050 (by that time PC-only, consoles were already gone :mrgreen: ) is best game ever :lol: You really need to play some real classics dude :ugeek: Oh wait, they aren't 3D, they suck... :roll:

IMHO to a game to be considered "best of all time" it should have marked its time, made people copy it, created a new genre... Having nice graphics, nice music, nice colors, nice gameplay is not enough. A lot of games have that. Also graphics should not account at all because they depend on hardware, but anyway. Because you personally like it for some reason (because it was the first game you played, or whatever) is still obviously not enough. I don't list games I liked, I list games that I think have what it takes to be considered "best of all time". I want to believe that being objective is not that hard... I might hate Pong, I would never play it again, I would be bored as heck, but that was the first video-game ever, and only for that it deserves the status of one of the best games ever. Same applies for other things such as art, programming (oh wait, it's also an art)...

Ok enough of the same discussion. Have a happy new year!

Return to “Games”