Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Pokemon? :P

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Discuss (Official) Games for your favorite platforms
poop station
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by poop station » Sun May 15, 2011 4:01 pm

kodex wrote:
poop station wrote:i found it pretty stupid that when you switch pokemon you take damage this makes it useless to switch. also, why can a pokemon only learn 4 attacks? how stupid are they?
dont forget the hm's, they all suck (exept surf), and by using them on a pokemon you waste an important attack slot. of course you can catch pokemon just to use the hm's but now you waste you pokemon slot.
I dont like it that much either but i realize the game would be easier and boring without those limitations.
the amount of attack slots, ok
but those hm's are annoying (i mean fly? come on why does a pokemon need a hm to learn how to fly?)
Advertising
ps=poop station
ps2=poop station 2 (this one can flush)
ps3=poop station 3 (this one has 2 flush modes)
psp=poop station portable
psn=playboy station nowork
msn=microsoft stupid network :lol:

waratte
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by waratte » Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm

poop station wrote:
kodex wrote:
poop station wrote:i found it pretty stupid that when you switch pokemon you take damage this makes it useless to switch. also, why can a pokemon only learn 4 attacks? how stupid are they?
dont forget the hm's, they all suck (exept surf), and by using them on a pokemon you waste an important attack slot. of course you can catch pokemon just to use the hm's but now you waste you pokemon slot.
I dont like it that much either but i realize the game would be easier and boring without those limitations.
the amount of attack slots, ok
but those hm's are annoying (i mean fly? come on why does a pokemon need a hm to learn how to fly?)
Fly is a pretty decent attack. I think of it as how to fly on command. The bird can fly when it wants but, to fly on command, it needs to learn it.
Advertising

Nymphaea
Retired Mod
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by Nymphaea » Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 am

Those limitations are what creates the strategy, there is no strategy in a pokemon who can do anything and everything.

As for the HMs, they are meant to control where you can go and the storyline, not be used in battle, although some of them can be, Surf and Waterfall being the main good ones.

Also, the Trainers are smarter in this game, though not all of them. The further in, the smarter the trainers, especially in the battle subway, which is where a lot of strategy will be needed if you want to get very far. They will use moves you are weak against, and switch to Pokemon strong against you. They also further in use more complex strategies, item/ability combos, etc.

An example of good strategies, both abusing the same ability:
Whimsicott
Ability: Prankster (non-attack moves increase priority, almost always go first)
Item: Leftovers (Helps keep it alive)
Attacks:
-Substitute
-Leach Seed
-Taunt
-Encore
This one is a very good SubSeeder, a popular basic strategy. Simple put, you keep substitute up as much as possible so you don't take much damage, and Leach Seed the enemy to slowly kill them and keep your life healing. Taunt forces the enemy to use attacks, meaning they can't use anything to try scr..ing you up(like Taunt, since you don't have any attacks) and Encore is good for locking the enemy into a useless move, then maybe switch to something strong against it.
Murkrow
Ability: Prankster (non-attack moves increase priority, almost always go first)
Item: Eviolite (Big boost to defence, helps keep it alive)
Attacks:
-Swagger
-Taunt
-Screech
-Roost
I love this one, although it is risky, especially against physical attackers. Swagger makes the enemy confused, so not only is there a 50/50 chance of them missing, but they hit themselves hard when they do. Taunt for same reason as before, protecting against annoying moves. Screech makes the confusion deal even more damage. Roost helps keep you alive. Murkrow with Eviolite also has a lot of defence, so long as it has good IVs and EVs in it's defences.
If you haven't tried the Battle Subway yet, I highly suggest it, it's a nice little challenge :P Warning though, the super subways are MUCH harder than the normal ones, you unlock them after beating the normal ones.(21 battles) The super ones also don't end, you can keep going and they keep getting tougher. Some of the higher scores I've heard of are in the 300's.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
jocks,
nerds,
preps,
emos,
punks,
crazies,
losers,
ghosts,
individuals
and people who don't give a dang about the stupid binary joke.

ASKidwai
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 am
Location: 'Ere and There
Contact:

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by ASKidwai » Tue May 17, 2011 2:55 am

To be honest, I never saw the big deal in Pokemon...
Don't kill me :P
Image
Image
Image
Image

ultimakillz
Retired Mod
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by ultimakillz » Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 pm

i think the strategy is one of the cool things about pokemon games. you can either put some thought into it and develop some really neat strategies, or you can just play the game as-is and never bother to put thought into it and just complain about how dumb pokemon games are just because you suck at playing them :lol:

User avatar
ViP3R
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:55 am
Location: Flash0:/Philippines
Contact:

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by ViP3R » Tue May 17, 2011 1:27 pm

ultimakillz wrote:i think the strategy is one of the cool things about pokemon games. you can either put some thought into it and develop some really neat strategies, or you can just play the game as-is and never bother to put thought into it and just complain about how dumb pokemon games are just because you suck at playing them :lol:
LOl yeah. I was the kinda guy who consumes alotta potions.
Goodbye, Captain John "Soap" Mactavish
And Goodbye, Joe Frazier - thanks for encouraging me to have my own PSP

waratte
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by waratte » Wed May 18, 2011 1:00 am

ViP3R wrote:
ultimakillz wrote:i think the strategy is one of the cool things about pokemon games. you can either put some thought into it and develop some really neat strategies, or you can just play the game as-is and never bother to put thought into it and just complain about how dumb pokemon games are just because you suck at playing them :lol:
LOl yeah. I was the kinda guy who consumes alotta potions.
Same here. I was the guy who never used anything to increase my pokemon's stats(hp up, etc...), always carried 99 of many of types potions/berries/status heals/etc... , never used repel, barely used any moves that don't attack , and pretty much always had my starter pokemon my strongest one.

My only strategy for winning was to try again or, level up pokemon and try again. I love to brute-force my way through the game! :)

poop station
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by poop station » Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 am

waratte wrote:
ViP3R wrote:
ultimakillz wrote:i think the strategy is one of the cool things about pokemon games. you can either put some thought into it and develop some really neat strategies, or you can just play the game as-is and never bother to put thought into it and just complain about how dumb pokemon games are just because you suck at playing them :lol:
LOl yeah. I was the kinda guy who consumes alotta potions.
Same here. I was the guy who never used anything to increase my pokemon's stats(hp up, etc...), always carried 99 of many of types potions/berries/status heals/etc... , never used repel, barely used any moves that don't attack , and pretty much always had my starter pokemon my strongest one.

My only strategy for winning was to try again or, level up pokemon and try again. I love to brute-force my way through the game! :)
YEAH brute force is all you need. even in the battle frontier i can win everything with just brute force. maybe is that the reason why i never used strategie, you never need it to beat the game. the only part i die is when i fight the first gym (but here your only attacks are mostly tackle and leer) after that i can mostly tackle my way trought the whole game.

if you want a strategie? easy

get a pokemon that knows:
-confusion ray (or something similiar)
-an attack that put the enemy into sleep
-double team
-an attack that just hurts the enemy

1: put your enemy into sleep and use an confusing attack:
2: keep using double team and when the enemy wakes up bring it back to sleep again.
3: keep repeating 1 and 2 until it has no effect anymore to use double team
4: make the enemy confused again and , unless it has an attack like shift (which suck anyway), he just can't hit you.
5: keep using an attack that hurts to end the battle.
ps=poop station
ps2=poop station 2 (this one can flush)
ps3=poop station 3 (this one has 2 flush modes)
psp=poop station portable
psn=playboy station nowork
msn=microsoft stupid network :lol:

Awesome Charlie
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by Awesome Charlie » Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 am

Pure awesomeness. I love how they added the EV training system, the shinies, and all the other goodies!
My Youtube channel!
My homebrew-able stuff:
PSP Go(N1001) 6.20 Pro-B8 (Permanent)
Wii 4.1 (jailbroken via Smash-Stack Method)
3ds 3.0.0-6 (Supercard Dstwo)
PS Vita 2.02 (waiting on exploit :D)
iPhone 4S 5.1.1 (jailbroken w/Absinthe)

DXFan619
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Pokemon? :P

Post by DXFan619 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:12 am

I kinda lost interest when Diamond and Pearl rolled around, but the original Pokemon games are def. some of the best games ever made.
Image
Image
Image
Image
[spoiler]The Hunt Begins for: Resident Evil 0 (N64) Edition. Does it exist? If it does, PM me with any info! Thanks![/spoiler]

Post Reply

Return to “Games”