Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Google Glass: Public opinion

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Discuss (Official) Games for your favorite platforms

What do you think about Google Glass?

It is nice and I am looking forward to it
65%
It should be banned
35%

Total votes: 40

NNNRT

Re: Google Glass: Public opinion

Post by NNNRT »

hgoel0974 wrote:
The Z wrote:google glass is cancer.
Why?
Come on! Billions of reasons can immediately pop out of anyone's head!
Advertising
codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation »

NNNRT wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:
The Z wrote:google glass is cancer.
Why?
Come on! Billions of reasons can immediately pop out of anyone's head!
And some of these reasons are....
Advertising
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Cancer? Heh, I wouldn't go as far, but here's my 2 cents.

Honestly, Google Glass may be awesome looking and an amazing piece of technology, but I don't see any real reason to use it. As a translator gadget it will be slow and cumbersome, not to mention how much trouble I've personally had with speech recognition. Translators on the other hand I cannot get to work for anything past simple words. The moment there's context or metaphors involved all hope is lost. Then the real problem I see with it as a device is that if I'm not to use speech recognition to control it, the options available become rather limited or no good with such a set up, or I lack the imagination to see other possibilities.
Another reason to not have it used as a mobile device is that it will be a constant distraction. There's plenty of people already who walk and text at the same time (me included), I'm curious what kind of effect it would have on people who have not used it before. I imagine a lot of stumbling and colliding into posts here. As pointed out earlier, people do not take everything behind a screen seriously.
There's the privacy concerns because of the built-in camera. And then again, I guess I'm weird when I'd much rather use a regular camera with many more options and a proper button to push (yeah, I like buttons) rather than a lower-quality camera I need to talk to. So much for taking pictures on windy places with it as well.
But then, I'm a person who doesn't see a difference between dumbphones and smartphones as they're both supposed to do the same thing: make calls. As such, this contraption to me is like putting a fan on a spoon. It sounds like a good idea and all, but is it really.

Edit: truth be told, I wear glasses anyways, I can't/won't put on a second pair unless it's for the giggles. It looks ridiculous.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

codestation wrote:And some of these reasons are....
...scattered all around this thread, including Xian's last post. I also wear glasses btw so I could rarely wear Google's gadget.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Xian Nox wrote:Cancer? Heh, I wouldn't go as far, but here's my 2 cents.

Honestly, Google Glass may be awesome looking and an amazing piece of technology, but I don't see any real reason to use it. As a translator gadget it will be slow and cumbersome, not to mention how much trouble I've personally had with speech recognition. Translators on the other hand I cannot get to work for anything past simple words. The moment there's context or metaphors involved all hope is lost. Then the real problem I see with it as a device is that if I'm not to use speech recognition to control it, the options available become rather limited or no good with such a set up, or I lack the imagination to see other possibilities.
Another reason to not have it used as a mobile device is that it will be a constant distraction. There's plenty of people already who walk and text at the same time (me included), I'm curious what kind of effect it would have on people who have not used it before. I imagine a lot of stumbling and colliding into posts here. As pointed out earlier, people do not take everything behind a screen seriously.
There's the privacy concerns because of the built-in camera. And then again, I guess I'm weird when I'd much rather use a regular camera with many more options and a proper button to push (yeah, I like buttons) rather than a lower-quality camera I need to talk to. So much for taking pictures on windy places with it as well.
But then, I'm a person who doesn't see a difference between dumbphones and smartphones as they're both supposed to do the same thing: make calls. As such, this contraption to me is like putting a fan on a spoon. It sounds like a good idea and all, but is it really.

Edit: truth be told, I wear glasses anyways, I can't/won't put on a second pair unless it's for the giggles. It looks ridiculous.
You don't have to put glasses on glasses, you can have the your prescription lenses fitted in to Google Glass
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation »

Xian Nox wrote:Cancer? Heh, I wouldn't go as far, but here's my 2 cents.

Personally i see lots of usages for Glass. With an app like Layar you could get real-time information about the environment. No more fiddling with the smartphone while trying to find a place in a city if Glass could pull the route and get AR info without having to do anything. Glass is about info getting pushed directly to you so don't have to poll your smartphone any longer. What about people with bad memory? How many times i wished to see a recording in the morning to see where i left my keys the last night when i got home. Of course some of these things aren't feasible with the 1st gen Glass but i hope that the storage anf battery life improves with the 2nd gen.

I don't see the distraction as a problem at all since the display is in the corner of your eye and not in front of it (something that a lot of people fail to understand). You have to be looking on purpose at the glass screen, else it won't disturb your workflow.

About privacy, Glass doesn't change anything that other people and your government have been recording for years. You can find cameras in every corner in a big city and people who needs to record something with a camera will do it discretly. Glass has a led that powers up when recording in the same way that smartphone have the annoying shutter sound that cannot be turned off (yeah, i know of these wonderful hacks called "duct tape" or a "cutter" to disable those but thats beside the point).

Your views are clearly different from mine since you see dumbphones and smartphones as the same thing. When i see a smartphone, one of the last things that i could think of is the voice call ability via the cell network. If fact i see it as a multipurpose device with phone functionality.

I wear glasses too and i don't see any problems with attaching Glass to my current glasses. A lot of people put all sorts of things on their face and looks ridiculous (like big and bulky headphones for example) but they don't give a dang about people saying things, so why would i care? I will probably buy one but gonna wait until a 2nd gen edition comes around, so they fix the issues with the Explorer Edition.
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

@Codestation : You missed one thing - people using those bluetooth headsets - THAT is the most annoying/ridiculous thing, you never know who the person is talking to! :roll: :evil: :lol:
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
>forces<

Post by >forces< »

it makes me remember cokie that kid from ned's "guides to survive school"
Spintires Mod Maker find thread at oovee forums
read
metro 2033 ✓
2034 ✓
2035 soon
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

hgoel0974 wrote:@Codestation : You missed one thing - people using those bluetooth headsets - THAT is the most annoying/ridiculous thing, you never know who the person is talking to! :roll: :evil: :lol:
Once my dad was talking on the phone using one of these & my mom was like what?! :lol:
Shpaghetti

Post by Shpaghetti »

I had my hands on it, and it didn't impress me at all. Seems to be useful in very limited situations, not very intuitive, hard to use with bad eyesight. Meh..

EDIT: It was a prototype though, they will polish it most likely. Also, if they add phone functionality it may be quite handy.

Return to “Games”