Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Favourie RPG's on any system and why.

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Discuss (Official) Games for your favorite platforms
jd20dog

Re: Favourie RPG's on any system and why.

Post by jd20dog »

trails in the sky 1,2nd,3rd, on pc, if your willing to read Japanese, and i mean !!alot!! of reading its a great series and deserves at least a try at playing though it

the y's series has been a favorite for years sense i played it back in the pc-engen days
1 though 3 have been on many systems with a few changes here and there but ild suggest the pc steam editions or psp collection for those wanting to try them out
4 and 5 were snes jap only games and are very rare but emulating it will be fine
5 has 2 different versions pc engen (turbo grafx)got one and snes the other
6 was the first 3D-ish game in the series, if you can handle some bad voice acting the ps2 had the best version of the game, its also the only psp english version on the psp not to be done by XSEEDS,
3 oath in felgona was latter redone on the same gaming engen as 6
7 is one of the best psp games ever released for the console and reinvented the series' game-play as your not just playing as adol(ah-doll) but as a team of 3 characters that you switch on the fly,

4 has been remade for the vita with the same 3 member parties system as 7

origins is the only game without adol but is a 700 years prier prequel to y's 1&2
the y's series also got an anime covering the events of 1&2, be forsworn-ed it was an early 90's anime and shows its age but is very good for the time

i think the key i like about the y's games is the action rpg aspect of the games

i guess you could say im to y's as acid-snake is to metal gear solid franchise
maybe ill do a blog series on them like him

again great job acidsnake on the blog post about mgs series
Advertising
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
kwanyeung20

Post by kwanyeung20 »

+1 on sora no kiseki (trails on the sky) if you can read Japanese!
The only minus is there is no voice for it (maybe just me, but I like Japanese voice acting so muchh that I think its one of the best thing of JRPG + the story)
the sequel zero no kiseki, ao no kiseki and sen no kiseki are even better since they now have voice available. (Although the loading time for sen no kiseki is terribly slow... hope they will get better on the next release)
The variety of characters are so huge (bishounen, bishoujo, ojisan, obasan, shota mitai, megana no musume (and otoko)). The storyline is very detail and well described.
The amount of text is so huge that people usually are not willing to translate this series (even xseed is taking a LONG time to translate Sora no kiseki SC). In this rate, I doubt the English release can catch up the speed of Japanese release. I truly recommend just to learn Japanese instead of waiting for English. I mean, learning Japanese is fun! After you learned it, you can watch anime, read manga, play Japanese games, watch Jdrama, listen to J-pop and shopping in Japan! And it is also pretty practical in real life. :)
Advertising
naki-the-curious

Post by naki-the-curious »

The Trails series is very good, but my favorite RPGs are Persona 3 and Tactics Ogre.

Persona 3: Best story in a rpg game for me, because I really liked the balance between the dark atmosphere of the overall story arc and the lighter (sometimes criticised) school parts. only problem I had with it was the repetetive dungeons, but I only noticed it the 2nd and 3rd time round.

Tactics Ogre: Great story, awesome gameplay and tons and tons of replay value. Also a dark story, and a happy/depressing ending depending on your choices. I also really like Final Fantasy: Tactics, but the gmaeplay mechanics on this is better imo. (also, you can't replay FFT with the same save, you have to start from scatch).

Honorary mention: Pokemon. because it was the first rpg I ever played, and it got me into the others.
my stuff
  • PSP 3000 White (03g) - Dual Boot (6.60 Pro-C2 and LME 1.8)
  • PSP 2000 Simpsons Ed. - 6.60 ME 1.8
  • PS Vita Cosmic Red - FW3.01
  • Sony Vaio E-Series Laptop White
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 International (Rooted)
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

[spoiler]
kwanyeung20 wrote:+1 on sora no kiseki (trails on the sky) if you can read Japanese!
The only minus is there is no voice for it (maybe just me, but I like Japanese voice acting so muchh that I think its one of the best thing of JRPG + the story)
the sequel zero no kiseki, ao no kiseki and sen no kiseki are even better since they now have voice available. (Although the loading time for sen no kiseki is terribly slow... hope they will get better on the next release)
The variety of characters are so huge (bishounen, bishoujo, ojisan, obasan, shota mitai, megana no musume (and otoko)). The storyline is very detail and well described.
The amount of text is so huge that people usually are not willing to translate this series (even xseed is taking a LONG time to translate Sora no kiseki SC). In this rate, I doubt the English release can catch up the speed of Japanese release. I truly recommend just to learn Japanese instead of waiting for English. I mean, learning Japanese is fun! After you learned it, you can watch anime, read manga, play Japanese games, watch Jdrama, listen to J-pop and shopping in Japan! And it is also pretty practical in real life. :)
[/spoiler]
ive been to japan and after getting used to the real language, i find most anime and game voice acting to be very childish sounding
as for second chapter, it was a 2 umd game on the psp with huge sections removed, so it will be a huge game if xseeds releases it but i think the trauma from the first is still probably enough to make them hide under a desk or try to find a bomb shelter, or they are waiting on a private translator to do it so they can buy it off of them again like y's series :lol:
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
TragicTheBlubbering

Post by TragicTheBlubbering »

Final fantasy FTW. Specifically FF 9 for ps1 as played on psp or vita, also love the smartphone ports/remakes of the old classics. Just because I love final fantasy and it kicks *** to have it my phone or whatever when I'm on the go.
R.I.P Leonard Nimoy, the original Mr. Spock. He lived long and prospered. :cry:
---------------
[spoiler]Paridae or gtfo! 8-)
---------------
i was wondering if there anyway to mod the ps3 so i can play ps3 game ??
[/spoiler]
---------------
chewdiggy

Post by chewdiggy »

Breath of Fire 3. I play it once or twice a year and have done since it came out on PS1.
Thanks for the info on the Ys series, I've always wanted to give them a go.
For Action RPGs, can't go wrong with Wonder Boy 3 on the Master System, my favourite game of all time.
isotrex

Post by isotrex »

Final fantasy 7 and 9 on the ps1.
The story and elements is just awesome.
Julian

Post by Julian »

The lack of any mention of the Suikoden series in this thread is highly disappointing.

Anyway, Suikoden 2 is my favorite RPG ever. I'm a sucker for a good story, and that is exactly what the game delivers. Every Suikoden game basically encompasses a conflict/war in a different location of the Suikoden world. For example, the first game took place in an Empire, and was the story of how a rebellious liberation army was formed, and how they brought down the empire. The 2nd game was about a war between two neighboring countries. And so on.

You also get the sense of how large and lush the entire world is. While a game may only focus on one or two regions, there are many characters who originate from other lands, fabulous wine imported from a country that's famous for it, etc. You build up images of the rest of the world, even though the game doesn't actually expose you to those lands. And in future games, you get to see some of those places. :D It's an awesome feeling, and I'm probably not doing it much justice.

For anyone who enjoys political intrigue (think game of thrones), this series is amazing. It's a real shame that Konami has basically given up on the franchise, though.

Then again, I am a huge nerd for geography and history, so this series is a perfect match for me.
Jamo2k8

Post by Jamo2k8 »

The best RPG I've played recently has to be Persona 4 (PS2).

I haven't had that much fun with a game since Resonance of Fate or Mass Effect last-gen.
boxtropica

Post by boxtropica »

Here we go...

-Fire Emblem (Any- Awakening is the best, though...) [3DS]
I like tactical RPGs, and FE:A is a very good one. The plot is pretty good, there are nice graphics, and the gameplay is fun and addicting.
-Tales of Verspia [X360]
A great game overall- It has a fun battle system, good graphics, a great storyline... My only complaint is that you are kind of "thrown in" and you can't really name your character, etc... The dog is also pretty annoying.
-Gravity Rush [PSVita]
Some could call it an RPG... It's debatable, but, it has a wonderful "gravity shifting" mechanic, a great story, nice graphics (That render distance though) and a nice comic-ish feel.

I've played some other good RPGs, but no names come to mind at the moment...
"Why do you cry over the loss of just one of you (humans)?" --Kyuubey (PM☆MM)

Return to “Games”