Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Guide] Create Professional Quality PSX Eboot Art

Discuss here techniques/plugins/etc... related to ISO Loading and PSX Games
Forum rules
No Piracy Talk allowed here! Any post containing illegal contents and/or contents that is against the forum rules (including but not limited to links for illegal iso downloads) will be deleted, and the poster will be warned.
Mr. Shizzy

[Guide] Create Professional Quality PSX Eboot Art

Post by Mr. Shizzy »

This thread is for anyone looking to create professional quality eboot art for their PS1 games on PSP. I can not remember where I originally got the template files. I downloaded them years ago, but if anyone can provide a link to the original author, then I would be more than happy to credit him.

This is not a guide on how to convert your PS1 games for play on the PSP. Info on that on easily be googled. Also, if you do not have Adobe Photoshop already, you can download a free trial version from Adobe's web site.All template materials are attached below. And this is pretty simple stuff guys.

First off, you will need to go here: http://www.cdcovers.cc/
Download the front and back covers for the game you want.

Next open the front cover in Photoshop and crop off the "Playstation" section to the left off the art work off. (leaving you with just the art work)

Next use "Image Size" in Photoshop and reduce the size of the artwork to 56x56 pixels. (Make sure you do not have "Constrain Proportions" checked) Also it is best to use the Bicubic Sharper setting when reducing your image.

Next "Select All" and "Copy" and then open the provided icon0.png file I provided. Use magnify tool and set to "Fit Screen" (that way you can see better to line the images up correctly) Now use "Paste" so your prepared image shows up on it. Use the "Move Tool" if needed to ensure that your new cover is centered correctly. Now save this a icon0 use .PNG format!
You should now have this: Image

Now all you have to do is prepare your pic0.png (also called information screen) for your XMB.
Open the "Information.psd" file I provided with Photoshop. Photoshop will ask you if you want to update the layers to a newer format - choose yes to update layers. Now the pic will be open. As you look at the layers in Photoshop, you will notice that everything is labeled neatly. Edit "Game Title" layer with the name of your game. (You can adjust text size to make it look best depending on the length of your game title.)

There is a layer you can edit to add the "Name of Company" - which would be the name of the publisher of the game. However I don't personally put this on my eboot art work. In this section I will usually put the game description instead. Adjust text size and area for best look. (Use the description information from the back cover you downloaded earlier.) If you are not going to include the "Name of Company" info, then just delete the "Game Title" layer all together. So basically - fill these sections in as you see fit..
You should end up with something like this: Image

And there you go. The included pic1.png file does not need to be edited.
You now have all your files prepared. You can either use these images on your favorite program when you compile your eboot, or you can use a program called PSP Brew to add them to an already existing eboot.

The final product will look something like this on your PSP screen:

You can also make an animated video icon for your eboot. But that is a whole another tutorial that I will post when I get the time... :/

Enjoy!

~Shizzy
Advertising
Attachments
[Guide] Create Professional Quality PSX Eboot Art.zip
The guide in .PDF form
(105.43 KiB) Downloaded 1859 times
80x80_PSX_Icon_Templates.zip
Templates to make your own eboot art for PS1 games on PSP.
(50.19 KiB) Downloaded 2479 times
PS Vita - 2.02 OFW [Awaiting Frostegater's Release]
pokefloote

Re: [Guide] Create Professional Quality PSX Eboot Art

Post by pokefloote »

Just want to say thanks for the guide and template. Made some clean, professional looking eboots for Persona 2EP and Tales of Destiny. :D
Advertising
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

And you can also add the official PlayStation startup sound to your PSX EBOOT.PBP: :)
http://www.mediafire.com/?dk3adzyd044zd8e
Last edited by NNNRT on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

I know it doesn't really matter but it's one of those things that bothers me enough. The artwork placed inside ICON0.PNG is actually 58 by 58 and placed at offset 13, 11.
Here is the ICON0.PNG that I edited with a transparent center if anyone wants to use it. Just right click and save as.
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

qwikrazor87 wrote:I know it doesn't really matter but it's one of those things that bothers me enough. The artwork placed inside ICON0.PNG is actually 58 by 58 and placed at offset 13, 11.
That's no problem, because i downloaded them like that & the number of pixels doesn't matter with me. Just how they look on the XMB.
poisonedhrt

Post by poisonedhrt »

can you make s PSP mini version too and homebrew :D
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

poisonedhrt wrote:can you make s PSP mini version too and homebrew :D
Here's the minis version.
http://s11.postimage.org/4jp5hj2i7/minis.png
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
poisonedhrt

Post by poisonedhrt »

thanks! i guess ill have to look somewhere else for Homebrew >.>
Minimur12

Post by Minimur12 »

thats awesome, thanks :)
I'm not on the forum much, if you want to let me know about something, shoot me a PM!
ImageImage
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

poisonedhrt wrote:thanks! i guess ill have to look somewhere else for Homebrew >.>
Here you go, homebrew & emulators. ;)
Image Image

Return to “ISO/PSX Games Loading”