Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[GAME] B-Gen v0.2

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
okapako

"1,000,000" play-through video

Post by okapako »

We've just added a gameplay video!
Advertising
flofrucht

Re: [GAME] B-Gen v0.1

Post by flofrucht »

Looks nice, gonna test it. Thanks :)
Advertising
twitter.com/flofrucht
PSPDev and scener
nakano

Post by nakano »

I started testing Genesis games; and this got my attention! It has somewhat unique concept. If you add an interesting story mode, playing would be even more motivating. I have a small suggestion. Could there be a tiny optional radar that helps to estimate where the matters/anti-matters come next?

Edit: I read the credits which says you have no intend to commercially profit from this. However being a part of Genesis, isn't the statement a little inconsistent?
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
okapako

Post by okapako »

Thank you for the comments and for the suggestions! We will surely consider them. We have been thinking about a story mode ourselves. The radar is a good idea too! But we need to think about how it might impact the current gameplay.

In the credits section we do mention that we "have no intent to commercially profit from" this game. By this we mean that we do not intend to sell this game for a price; anyone can download B-Gen and play it for free. However, we would surely appreciate donations or (in this case, if we manage to win something) prize money which will be used towards further development of B-Gen, or other games of ours.

Stay tuned for the next update where we're going to have a cool new ability for the player: "Hyper Sense"

Thanks for reading!
Okapako
sting18

Post by sting18 »

simple game, good gameplay, I like the music, just have to do something to make it more entertaining, I can not think to ask this game to make it more appealing if you notice anything happens to me, luck
okapako

[GAME] B-Gen v0.2

Post by okapako »

Hi everyone!

We've added a new playable track "Lights in the Sky" which features a new body type - Black Holes!
Black Holes can absorb anything and have a strong gravitational field; watch out for them!

We've also added a new ability for the player - Hypersense
Hypersense gives the player an advantage by allowing him to experience the world in slow-motion, much like "bullet time".

Download B-Gen v0.2 here: https://sites.google.com/site/bgengame/ ... .2_psp.zip

Thanks for reading!
Okapako

PS: Please send us bugs and feedback!
nakano

Re: [GAME] B-Gen v0.2

Post by nakano »

Hi Okapako and thank you for the latest release!

I finally finished all three levels so I am waiting for the 3rd release. Discipline was very challenging and tricky (took 2 days to finish the level). I "cheated" the level by being small and staying as down as possible (no notable threats there). Well, even being able to do that, it took me several tries.

What are the points you see when selecting a level? The player's record score (should these be by default zero?)? I am not sure, but I think I had negative points when I finished Discipline, but it shows +0.0228. Maybe you could add that if you have negative points at the end of a level, you lose.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
okapako

Post by okapako »

Hi nakano!

We're really happy that you liked B-Gen and have completed all the levels released so far! :D

Now that everyone is saying that B-Gen is too tough, maybe we'll have a "tips" section in one of the next versions.
Tip: You can run away from most dangerous situations!

From your screenshot, we noticed that your energy bar was full; did you utilize Hypersense to your advantage? (It's activated while you hold down the Triangle button).

In the track selection menu, the score displayed above the track art is the high score for that track. The player's track score is saved only in two circumstances - (1) If he completes the track, or (2) if he dies in the track. (Of course the score will only overwrite the previous score if it's a new high score). Score is not saved if the player abandons a track.

So in your case, even though you completed Discipline with a negative score, it was not saved because you already achieved a positive high score earlier (you might have died with a positive score which became the high score).

We hope that explains it!

Thanks for reading,
Okapako
nakano

Post by nakano »

Tip section is a really good idea. It actually took me time to notice that you're able to avoid dangerous situations as you mentioned. I didn't find Hypersense that useful (or didn't learn when should I use it). When I activated Hypersense at the wrong time, it was usually an instant game over for me.

Your explanation about high score makes sense, but I think that it would be more logical if high scores are only stored when you're able to finish a level. Nevertheless, either is fine.

Thank you for all the answers Okapako! I look forward to the new release and see what new ideas you have come up to. The green matter and blackholes were nice additions.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
okapako

Post by okapako »

@nakano: By now we've received many complaints about Hypersense being tough to use, or not providing enough advantage. We're thinking of ways to improve it and make it more beneficial to the user.

We originally intended Hypersense to be similar to the time-slow feature in Osmos. As one review (of Osmos) states: "Slowing down time is particularly useful as it allows for more precise movements." This is precisely the advantage we intended for the user. However, since the two games are quite different, this feature probably doesn't work quite as well in B-Gen. :cry:

Return to “Submissions”