Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[UPDATE 2!] SHELL 0.73.2 by Arnold-Next Generation PSP Shell

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
arnold

Re: [RELEASE] SHELL 0.72 by Arnold - Next Generation PSP She

Post by arnold » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:04 am

How exactly do you launch games from this shell? They don't appear in the game folder(only homebrews do) and in the other folders, game 6.xx, etc, i can see the iso's but can't launch them.
I shall implement that in a future version.
Good luck for future releases, this looks great nice.
Thanks. ???Danke. Merci. ??????
the custom wallpaper work, you must activate it in the system menu and exityng the app with home (press it and keep it pressed)..
create a shortcut is simple! just create a file like this

rename as "nameyouwant.shlk" and put it in SHELL/favourites/system or SHELL/favourites/photo etc...
Awesome short tutorial!
been waiting for a app like this tho vshloader doesnt work for me so i added my own and gona add etc a loader to get back onto the shell
Thanx arnold
If you want to put that out here for others to use, feel free. This is what SHELL is about!
To exit the Launched XMB, hold "L + SELECT + START".
Also, no problem. ;)
My dream, was to make something like this... 10/1 star to this.
Your dream come true. :-)
Just remember, you can make this THE BEST DREAM for you and everyone else. You can do it in many ways: themes, translations, plugins, SHELL LINKS, etc.
Awesome work.
Here is my contribution..
You, mate, are just too kind and a great role model. :-) I thank you for this contribution to other users and SHELL.
Oh great I didn't know you had to hold it nor did I know you have to exit the app in order for the custom wallpaper to take effect! works now Thanks
I am glad it worked out for you and no problem. ;)
I have encountered some bugs/problems though

1. image files on picture folder are shown but cannot be previewed.
2. pressing X on the empty Video folder caused a crash
3. ISO games are shown but cannot be launched
4. Homebrews and PSN games are launched fine from the shell but crashes the psp when quitting the game/app
5. Music files are shown and are playable....but I cant pause or quit playback once the mp3 is already playing...
6.while a music file is already playing, you can play another file....so you can have 2 music files playing simultaneously

well, thats what i just encountered, I am not purposely looking for bugs. Maybe its just me? I'm running 6.20 Pro B5 perma on PSP3001 3G
If the CFW/HEN is decent (i.e. runs homebrew), it should run SHELL fine.
Regarding your observations:
1. Yes, image viewing is planned for the future. :-)
2. I will investigate into that. This should not happen. If you can send a PM with more details to reproduce this crash, please do so. Note: SHELL may not work under certain CFW plugins, so please disable plugins before submitting/confirming a bug.
3. This will be addressed a future release.
4. This is appearing on a few PSPs, I have no idea why at the moment but will look into the problem.
5. Yes, there is no actual music player at the moment. A future release will have the music player for controlling audio playback.
6. Similar to point 5, since there is no actual music player, audio playback cannot be controlled. A future release will have the music player and will allow audio playback control and thus preventing two or more simultaneous audio tracks playing on top of each other.

I hope these responses will satisfy your observations and they are valued as they help to further improve SHELL in the future and for the benefit of other users.
Some suggestions for you -

1. When we press down button and keep pressing it doesn't scrolls so if we have many files it too difficult,see to it
2. We can't pause or even stop music from playing, Thats also is an problem.
3. ISO loading doesn't works...
4. You can add UMD video support as current CFWs doesn't support it.

All over its a nice shell and a great replacemnt for XMB.I was waiting just for somthing like this!Hope you will improve it more!
I shall respond to your suggestions to the best of my ability.
1. Scroll does indeed work, simply hold down the Digital pad Down Key and it will scroll.
2. Yes, there is no actual music player at the moment. A future release will have the music player for controlling audio playback.
3. This will be addressed a future release. :-)
4. This suggestion for a feature will be considered and I thank you for your thought.

I have answered all the queries and suggestions to the best of my ability.

Feel free to ask more questions and keep those contributions coming!

Enjoy SHELL and let us all look forward to the next release. :-)

-arnold
Advertising

akuinnen

Post by akuinnen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 am

If the CFW/HEN is decent (i.e. runs homebrew), it should run SHELL fine.
Regarding your observations:
1. Yes, image viewing is planned for the future. :-)
2. I will investigate into that. This should not happen. If you can send a PM with more details to reproduce this crash, please do so. Note: SHELL may not work under certain CFW plugins, so please disable plugins before submitting/confirming a bug.
3. This will be addressed a future release.
4. This is appearing on a few PSPs, I have no idea why at the moment but will look into the problem.
5. Yes, there is no actual music player at the moment. A future release will have the music player for controlling audio playback.
6. Similar to point 5, since there is no actual music player, audio playback cannot be controlled. A future release will have the music player and will allow audio playback control and thus preventing two or more simultaneous audio tracks playing on top of each other.

I hope these responses will satisfy your observations and they are valued as they help to further improve SHELL in the future and for the benefit of other users.
thanks mate, like i said they're just observations on my part...very cool app you have here. I just hope that this won't "die" before being completed because that would such a waste. keep up the good work man :D
Advertising
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Baconation

Post by Baconation » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

If anybody cares, I just made a thread in the homebrew section for custom themes. Come check it out if you dont want the normal look. :D

waratte

Post by waratte » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 pm

arnold wrote:
My dream, was to make something like this... 10/1 star to this.
Your dream come true. :-)
Just remember, you can make this THE BEST DREAM for you and everyone else. You can do it in many ways: themes, translations, plugins, SHELL LINKS, etc.
No, it hasn't. I wanted to make one. ???????????????

arnold

Post by arnold » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:25 am

[SHELL_LINK]
version=1
title=Bookr
path=ms0:/PSP/GAME/CAT_Apps/Bookr/EBOOT.PBP
argc=0
argp=0
icon=ms0:/PSP/GAME/CAT_Apps/Bookr/EBOOT.PNG
Try this (copy it exactly):

Code: Select all

[SHELL_LINK] 
version=1 
title=Bookr 
path=ms0:/PSP/GAME/CAT_Apps/Bookr/EBOOT.PBP 
argc=0 
argp=0 
icon=ms0:/PSP/GAME/CAT_Apps/Bookr/EBOOT.PNG 

GALA

Post by GALA » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 am

This is really awesome :shock: Thanks for all this work, the graphics by the way are fantastic :D

Just one problem : I haven't figured out how to exit yet...tried L+Select+Start, but that doesn't do anything. So I just removed my battery and put it back in again, but I'm sure there's a more gentle way to do it :mrgreen:

arnold

Post by arnold » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 pm

To Exit SHELL, hold the HOME or PS button in the Main Menu until a dialog comes up to quit. :-)

Looking around, I must clarify some things. Please forgive me if the translations are incorrect and I have misunderstood it.
(via Google Translate)
http://www.pspgen.com/forums/psp-genesi ... 27695.html
Shell = Plate-forme de développement pour les développeurs ?( Shell = platform development for developers?)
C'est pas très exacte, je dirais même que c'est pas du tout ça.( It is not very accurate, I would say that's not it at all.) L'HB que tu présentes n'aide en rien du tout le devs et n'est pas non plus une plateforme de dev.( The HB you present does not help at all and the devs is not a dev platform.) C'est plus comme un second XMB.( It's more like a second XMB.) Tu vois, IRShell est un shell et il ne sert pas au dev.( You see, iR Shell is a shell and it is not used for dev.)
SHELL is not the same as Shell in general. ;-)

In the case of SHELL, my descriptions are PERFECTLY accurate.
SHELL is providing a platform for application and plugin development.
SHELL has included an Software Development Kit for developers to access SHELL functions. This is application development.
SHELL is more than a second XMB.
SHELL can be used for development.

If there are any more things to clarify, please post them. :-)

-arnold

Baconation

Post by Baconation » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Was just wondering if you could give us an ETA on you next major update.

arnold

Post by arnold » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 am

Was just wondering if you could give us an ETA on you next major update.
You've made my day by asking me for an update. :-)

Unfortunately, it all depends on the response.

To people who read but do not post: Please, in order to improve the quality of SHELL, I must receive feedback and responses in order to decide on further stages of development. The more the better.

This project has been built with all my heart and dedicated to the PlayStation Portable. If you also believe in this, please say so. If you would like to help, please do so.

I hope I can have the support and time to continue and complete this project.

I often see many people complain (elsewhere) on the lack of features of SHELL and in general PSP homebrew releases. (If you don't do it, don't worry :-) ) My advice to those people is to stop whinging and be satisfied with what there is at the moment. The more you cry "No ISO for my HEN", "This sucks, no multitasking so everything else must suck", "HBL is utter rubbish as it doesn't run anything except homebrew", the less chances of you receiving quality homebrew releases. Furthermore, you are restricting other PSP homebrew enthusiasts! What evil. :/ Patience yields quality. Remember, all developers are human. This is all an opinion, but it may change any time because of different circumstances. Therefore, it is unquotable.

So far, though, the support from SHELL is decent. :-) I just need more feedback as stated above. :-D Post away, please don't be shy or I can't make SHELL better!

-Arnold

Return to “Submissions”