Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[UPDATE 2!] SHELL 0.73.2 by Arnold-Next Generation PSP Shell

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
arnold

Re: [RELEASE] SHELL 0.72 by Arnold - Next Generation PSP She

Post by arnold »

wassgha wrote:I wouldn't say "next generation shell" ...
Quoted. ;) It'd be nice to see what you have to say about your shell.
SHELL is Next Generation.

I didn't expect I would be writing this.

"PSP SHELL" is taken. Sorry, choose another name.

Good luck in signing your PowerShell, because technically, if you can sign your app and it can run on OFW, it will most definitely not be as powerful as SHELL. It is practically impossible. First and most important of all, it won't launch homebrew and games because you can't sign kernel modules.

I'm not doubting your project. I am merely stating facts.

Regards,

arnold

P.S. Next SHELL version ... soon!
Advertising
jeremymd

Post by jeremymd »

I must admit I am a bit impartial when it comes to shells. I have been using irshell for the longest time.

However I see your intent. And I commend it. It might actually work. And if wololo supports this, then it might actually be worth considering.

I'm a pretty good programmer and I have a knack for understanding concepts and learning more about it. My problem is I don't know where to start. I tried to help with irshell but there just isn't enough information as to how to actually get started. I've heard I have to read about basic hardware computer architecture first and I've started into that. Very slow process, considering I don't have much time to read about it regularly.

But if that won't be necessary if all I'm to do is just add plugins and add-ons to your shell, I may be able to help. Just give me the basics. Which programming language. Where do I get it. The need-to-know so I can get started.

If you already have that neatly laid in one link or post here, lemme know. Didn't have enuff time to browse through all the info.

One more thing... never mind the haters. I could have been one had I not read a little more about your project and intentions. No worries, mate. End of the day, it's what needs to be done that should be done.
Advertising
arnold

Post by arnold »

jeremymd,

It is people like you that I enjoy developing for. :-)

There are many ways to help SHELL!

If you are a User:

Make a SHELL distro using SHELL LINKS:
1. Collect a range of homebrew.
2. Make SHELL LINKS for them How to make SHELL LINKS
3. Put them into ms0:/SHELL/favourites/User Favourites or any folder in there where the homebrew should be categorised.
4. Test the SHELL LINKS by loading SHELL.
5. Release it!

Translate SHELL and spread the love:
1. Copy the file ms0:/SHELL/debug.txt and rename it to whatever you want with a .txt extension.
2. Translate each item by opening in a text editor like Notepad.
3. Save as UTF-8.
4. Test by going to [Settings] --> [System Settings] --> Translation File
5. Find the file you have made and select it.
6. Reload SHELL.
7. Share it!

If you are a DEVELOPER:

Create a SHELL plugin (plugins are in C like any other PSP plugin):
1. Download SHELL.
2. Inside is an SDK folder that allows you to access libraries (;p) that allow you to display textures and print text in SHELL.
3. Develop your plugin.
4. To load the plugin: Loading plugins guide
5. Release plugin!

I hope answers your questions. :)

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

-arnold
jeremymd

Post by jeremymd »

C???? LOVELY!

I might just get to it. Rusty with C but shouldn't have any problems.

SDK, libraries, yummy. No idea what the connection is. So, write C code, how does it get translated to code the PSP(or prolly your shell) would recognize?

Sorry, as you can see, I'm a noob at this. If you can spare the time, would you mind shooting me a message here just giving me references to dev tools or recommended books? Right now I'm reading assembly lang. Not even sure if that helps, haha. Long way to go for me, but I'm pretty sure I'll get there if somebody points me in the right direction.

As to why I'm interested in this, I am so dependent on my PSP right now. It's my handheld computer of sorts, and honestly, that's because of irshell. Books, movies, music, games, internet, reminders, alarm clock. Of course, there are some more features I would have loved added on but Ahman retired the PSP scene and the website closed down just this month. If I only knew how, I would. And I am a guy with loads of ideas. And I'm sick of just giving them instead of me myself realizing them.

So, just so you know, I'm DEAD serious about making PSP functionality better. And if it will be through your shell, why not?
wassgha

Post by wassgha »

arnold wrote: Good luck in signing your PowerShell, because technically, if you can sign your app and it can run on OFW, it will most definitely not be as powerful as SHELL. It is practically impossible. First and most important of all, it won't launch homebrew and games because you can't sign kernel modules.
I am really sorry for this response (because I think I am doing offtopic...) but anyways, who said that my shell needs kernel rights?
And what's worng with "PSP(tm) shell" ? I think you haven't got the copyright of "shell" word, it's even in lowercase! Your homebrew is called SHELL not shell...
And, my shell's name is powershell, remember it ;)
arnold

Post by arnold »

@jeremymd,

Yes, C. :-)

Use the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org.

There are many guides around the web that can help you install it on any machine.

Hope that helps!

-arnold

*parties as the PSP community gets another new developer* :D
Salvy

Post by Salvy »

Great job Arnold, I love the concept of Shell, you got my vote \o/
PS : An option to check for updates from within Shell would be awesome ;)
arnold

Post by arnold »

Thanks Salvy! :)

Glad you like it. :D

-arnold
jeremymd

Post by jeremymd »

@wassgha

I read somewhere that you stopped your powershell project already. Is that true? Because if that's so, maybe we could all hold hands and work on the shell project together while singing *** bah yah. Har har!

Seriously, I'm all for healthy competition. Everybody wins in the long run if you know what I mean. If you'll push through with your powershell, I'd support you as well. I read that you're from Tunisia, you don't have a PSP yet, and a PSP is expensive there. And I think there's your biggest roadblock. I'm not thinking it's possible you'll ever finish your shell without a PSP to constantly test and tweak your code. I am aware of the absence of any decent emulator for the PSP right now. And progress waits for no man.

Bottom line for wassgha, arnold, and any coder out there: Let your code do the talking. Peace!
arnold

Post by arnold »

No worries. :)

To all those who are waiting intently, there should be a release of the next version of SHELL very soon. :)

-arnold

Return to “Submissions”