Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

AnyLanguageStudy v3.0 U2 (Unofficial update)

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
passingby

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v2.0 (by Nakano)

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote:Hi passingby!
Very good suggestions. I have started to add a few features you requested. I won't be adding all of them, only those that I find necessary and those that can be done within a reasonable amount of time.
Thank you for considering them, I really look forward to future versions!
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: 1. An optional timer could be used for testing recollection speed or for setting personal speed goals.
This is a nice idea, but would need a lot of modifications. User can be studying the same set during several days and can change the range. --> difficult to estimate the time correctly. Maybe I could store the time user got a word right and count average from this information / estimation how long it will take to complete the range. I could add the recollection speed for one word. However, I am not that interested in adding the support. Priority: Low.
I'll elaborate a little more on my idea, but I also agree it's not really an important feature.
I was thinking that the timer would be disabled by default, but in the options menu you could select a "Timed Mode" where you would intentionally be timing yourself so you wouldn't want to leave a study session half finished for another day, or change the range (I guess there would have to be rules for an interrupted session though).
In "Timed Mode" you would press a button to start the timer (which would also launch the first word/question), after you've answered the timer would pop up and display the time it took.
Ideally the timer would stop after each correct answer (displaying the time it took), then start up again when you pressed a button to start the next word. The total time for a word group (not counting the time between pauses) would be displayed and stored with the "Set Once Complete" notification.
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: 2. A way to set a custom word range. The {All, 10, 20, 50, 100} option is sometimes limiting. Or maybe a way to define custom ranges in a word list(.csv) so you can set up multiple lessons without having to create multiple short word lists.
Consider this done. Priority: High.
That is great news, thanks!
That's the feature I most wanted.

Do you plan to have the ranges controlled by the .csv word list, the options menu, both, or is it too early to tell?
The .csv option would be easier setting up when creating a custom word list.(<- what I would prefer)
The options menu could also overrule the .csv setting for making a custom range on the fly though.
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: Another (probably easier) option would be to group related word lists (languages/lessons) on the main menu.
No, this is more difficult. This is a very good idea, but needs a lot of work. I could probably consider two drill levels max. For example, 1) Select English-Japanese, 2) Select <any word list from this set>. Priority: Medium.
I really thought that option would be easier.
Shows I don't know anything about programming.
I thought it would be as basic as adjusting the dictionary.ini to deeply categorize word lists but with flags pointing to what to display as you drill.
2 drill levels would be nice though, I didn't realize it would be harder to do more than that.
I guess you could get satisfactory results just keeping related lists on the second level though.
Example: Instead of having in the main menu, English-Japanese-> ~word list set~, English-Chinese-> ~word list set~, etc.
You could set up: English-Japanese[JLPT]-> ~JLPT word lists~, English-Japanese[Genki]-> ~Genki word lists~, etc.
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: 3. A way to define a custom layout for each word/image list to maximize screen space and add a little personal touch from the creator of the list, or to just set everything up to your own liking.
Too many modifications to too many places, so no (yes, source code could be more organized, but it isn't).
I did manage to get my vision for an image list working rather nicely by simply replacing all instances of the image and choice coordinates.
Here's a real working example (the old example is just an image mock-up):
[spoiler]Image
I'm going to adjust the height of the choices and buttons on the right to be more centered next (for my own use for now).[/spoiler]
You don't think it would be possible to have the .csv say something like "replace all instances of ____ with ____" for a custom layouts to work?
I really did just replace the 4 button coordinate strings(7 instances each) and the text centering strings(26 instances) and so far it works great.

Of course, because currently any changes are global; my regular word lists now look like this:
[spoiler]Image
That's why a per word/image list option would be necessary.[/spoiler]
nakano wrote: However, I am going to add a possibility to use custom styles. The problem is, I would hope someone to create new styles (needed for images: background, circle, cross, keys, longbutton, mouse, options, right, search, sentence, shortbutton, square and triangle). Priority: Medium.
Neat, I was actually going to make my own custom theme eventually when I had some free time just for fun, but if you make a way to share themes I might actually make time to really do it.
nakano wrote: I will also add the possibility to set (x,y) coordinates for images. So if you have those flag sets ready, I would be interested in adding them for demonstrating the possibilities of AnyLanguageStudy.
That flag set really was just a mock-up image, but I'll start working on it.

One last suggestion though.
Is it possible for you to switch the triangle and square button positions?
I keep wanting to hit triangle for the top choice because it is the topmost face button.
Here's what I mean:
[spoiler]If you tilt the PSP slightly the buttons line up naturally with triangle being on top and cross on the bottom.
Image[/spoiler]
Advertising
nakano

Post by nakano »

passingby wrote: Do you plan to have the ranges controlled by the .csv word list, the options menu, both, or is it too early to tell?
The .csv option would be easier setting up when creating a custom word list.(<- what I would prefer)
The options menu could also overrule the .csv setting for making a custom range on the fly though.
No, it's not too early. I have already finished this feature. You add break points in csv files by writing [break] in a line. In options you select whether to use these break points as a range.
passingby wrote: I really thought that option would be easier.
Shows I don't know anything about programming.
I thought it would be as basic as adjusting the dictionary.ini to deeply categorize word lists but with flags pointing to what to display as you drill.
2 drill levels would be nice though, I didn't realize it would be harder to do more than that.
I guess you could get satisfactory results just keeping related lists on the second level though.
Example: Instead of having in the main menu, English-Japanese-> ~word list set~, English-Chinese-> ~word list set~, etc.
You could set up: English-Japanese[JLPT]-> ~JLPT word lists~, English-Japanese[Genki]-> ~Genki word lists~, etc.
Adding multiple drill levels would of course be possible with keywords in dictionary.ini, but at the moment adding one is more than enough work. The first drill level will be the last option in dictionary.ini. Of course, you can name them as you like. If it's only Japanese you're using the application, you can easily do the categorization in the way you mentioned (just comment every other word list).
passingby wrote: You don't think it would be possible to have the .csv say something like "replace all instances of ____ with ____" for a custom layouts to work?
I really did just replace the 4 button coordinate strings(7 instances each) and the text centering strings(26 instances) and so far it works great.
There are two options. Add this feature in csv-files or in options menu. I can still consider this, but I don't think it's in the next release, though, as I don't need it.
passingby wrote: Neat, I was actually going to make my own custom theme eventually when I had some free time just for fun, but if you make a way to share themes I might actually make time to really do it.
I will add support for style1, style2, ... folders for custom style (like in Company). Actually, I already added it, but I have only one style...
nakano wrote: I will also add the possibility to set (x,y) coordinates for images. So if you have those flag sets ready, I would be interested in adding them for demonstrating the possibilities of AnyLanguageStudy.
passingby wrote: That flag set really was just a mock-up image, but I'll start working on it.
Great! It doesn't need to be long. Mainly to tell that people could use the application like that too.
passingby wrote: One last suggestion though.
I guess so.
Advertising
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote: No, it's not too early. I have already finished this feature. You add break points in csv files by writing [break] in a line. In options you select whether to use these break points as a range.
That sounds great! I can't wait to use it.
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: You don't think it would be possible to have the .csv say something like "replace all instances of ____ with ____" for a custom layouts to work?
There are two options. Add this feature in csv-files or in options menu. I can still consider this, but I don't think it's in the next release, though, as I don't need it.
That's ok, I mainly wanted that feature so image lists could take advantage of the screen width more efficiently (like my example image, half for a large image, half for choices).
If it eventually got added I would default all my image lists that way.
nakano wrote: I will add support for style1, style2, ... folders for custom style (like in Company). Actually, I already added it, but I have only one style...
Once the next version is out and I see how it all works; I'll see if I can make something nice.
nakano wrote:
passingby wrote: That flag set really was just a mock-up image, but I'll start working on it.
Great! It doesn't need to be long. Mainly to tell that people could use the application like that too.
The flag set is done, it's all 196 Countries:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7STXAX6C
Currently I have the .csv pointing to: language/other/flags/ but feel free to change it as you like (I didn't know where else to put it).
To center the flag images I used "screen:blit(140,0,questionImage)" in my index.lua.
Here's how it looks:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

nakano wrote:
I guess so.
Thanks, I was going to try and figure out how to do it myself if you didn't want to.
nakano

Post by nakano »

passingby wrote:
nakano wrote: I will add support for style1, style2, ... folders for custom style (like in Company). Actually, I already added it, but I have only one style...
Once the next version is out and I see how it all works; I'll see if I can make something nice.
Everything is pretty much the same so you could just replace my images with yours to see the end result. Here are a few small changes, though.

passingby wrote:
nakano wrote:
The flag set is done, it's all 196 Countries:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7STXAX6C
Currently I have the .csv pointing to: language/other/flags/ but feel free to change it as you like (I didn't know where else to put it).
To center the flag images I used "screen:blit(140,0,questionImage)" in my index.lua.
Here's how it looks:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Hmm... Thanks, but the package is missing the csv-file. You could also adjust the [break] points if you wish, for example, to divide the list based on continent.
passingby wrote:
nakano wrote:
I guess so.
Thanks, I was going to try and figure out how to do it myself if you didn't want to.
I did it, but now I keep hitting triangle when I should press cross. Oh well...
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote: Everything is pretty much the same so you could just replace my images with yours to see the end result. Here are a few small changes, though.
Ok, I was holding it off in case the next version threw something new in there.
nakano wrote: Hmm... Thanks, but the package is missing the csv-file.
Strange, "Country_Flags.csv" should've been in the "flags" folder.
Here it is by itself with a fixed typo:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KQY424H5
(I forgot a space between 'Cape Verde' last time)
nakano wrote:You could also adjust the [break] points if you wish, for example, to divide the list based on continent.
You read my mind. I was planning to do just that and adjust the RTK set once the option was available to me.
Right now I'm not sure how it would look, and I couldn't test it either.
The flags are alphabetical for now though.

I wonder if it would be possible to display a title when you switch using breaks like: Asia, Europe, Africa, etc.
Or for other lists like: lesson 01, lesson 02, etc.
nakano wrote: I did it, but now I keep hitting triangle when I should press cross. Oh well...
You mean square right? Since those two were switched.
I was afraid of that, you get into a habit after a while.
I think it'll just take a little time to get used to it.
It took me a while to get used to the old way, but most (pretty much all) of the other games and apps I use always have triangle as the top button so switching back and forth should be easier now.
nakano

Post by nakano »

passingby wrote:
nakano wrote: Hmm... Thanks, but the package is missing the csv-file.
Strange, "Country_Flags.csv" should've been in the "flags" folder.
Here it is by itself with a fixed typo:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KQY424H5
(I forgot a space between 'Cape Verde' last time)
Thank you. It's perfect for demonstrating the new features. I did actually add the possibility to set the buttons and choices x-coordinate in csv-file. Now this is possible:
passingby wrote: I wonder if it would be possible to display a title when you switch using breaks like: Asia, Europe, Africa, etc.
Or for other lists like: lesson 01, lesson 02, etc.
I added this possibility when I added [break]. The titles are told in the syntax of [name=title].
passingby wrote:
nakano wrote: I did it, but now I keep hitting triangle when I should press cross. Oh well...
You mean square right? Since those two were switched.
I was afraid of that, you get into a habit after a while.
I think it'll just take a little time to get used to it.
It took me a while to get used to the old way, but most (pretty much all) of the other games and apps I use always have triangle as the top button so switching back and forth should be easier now.
Yes, I meant the square. Today I coded a better solution. I let the user to set the order of buttons in buttons.ini. Now I am only missing a new style and the sub menus + documentation. It's probably a next weekend's job (I don't have time this weekend).
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote: I did actually add the possibility to set the buttons and choices x-coordinate in csv-file.
Awesome, I knew you could do it.
nakano wrote: Now I am only missing a new style and the sub menus + documentation. It's probably a next weekend's job (I don't have time this weekend).
I look forward to trying out all the new features whenever it's ready.

I did get around to making my own (rather silly) style last night.
First I tried to make a normal serious one but all I could think of were different color gradients or just solid colors.
I ended up with this:
[spoiler]It's a Blazblue 'Tell me! Dr.Litchi' theme.
I like the way my buttons turned out, I'll most likely use them again.

I ran into some trouble here with 'options.png'. I wanted to use a full screen image, but by default the image was centered differently.
I think that's changed in the new version?

I didn't find a good background for the search page yet.
Also, I can't seem to find where 'keys.png' is used. :?

I promise I'll try to make a more serious style in the new version.[/spoiler]
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v1.0 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

A nice looking style.

Thanks for reminding me! I did have keys menu in a very past version, but I ran out of key commands. I deleted it now completely from the code (it was still in the source code with the current version). Options menu consists of background.png (coordinates 0,0) and options.png (coordinates 30, 20) + selectors. Is it a problem? I could only use one image of 480x272. Anyway the function is openOptions = function(). I can replace screen:blit(0, 0, background); with screen:blit(0, 0, options); where options.png is 480x272. Would it be better? You can try it out that way too. I'll make the change if needed.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote:A nice looking style.

Thanks for reminding me! I did have keys menu in a very past version, but I ran out of key commands. I deleted it now completely from the code (it was still in the source code with the current version). Options menu consists of background.png (coordinates 0,0) and options.png (coordinates 30, 20) + selectors. Is it a problem? I could only use one image of 480x272. Anyway the function is openOptions = function(). I can replace screen:blit(0, 0, background); with screen:blit(0, 0, options); where options.png is 480x272. Would it be better? You can try it out that way too. I'll make the change if needed.
Thanks.

I rather like the effect of overlaying options.png on backgroung.png though.
I was wondering if it's possible to just have options.png and background.png both set as (coordinates 0,0) as the default, and just have transparent pixels to do the centering of options.png?
I tried it out and that's the only setting that needs to be changed, you just have to edit your original options.png (by adding transparent pixels around the top/left) and it'll still look and behave exactly as it always has.

I also noticed something strange about 'right.png':
[spoiler]If you answer correctly on the first try it appears behind your answer:
(leads to possibly nicer customization)

However, if you answer wrong and have the options set to 'show right answer' it covers up the correct answer making it impossible to learn from.
Is that fixable, to have right.png only show up behind the answer?

Also, the 'press CROSS to continue' pop-up message appears behind the images in an image list; covering it up depending on the image placement.
Maybe all pop-up text should always be on top to prevent that?[/spoiler]
nakano

Post by nakano »

passingby wrote: I was wondering if it's possible to just have options.png and background.png both set as (coordinates 0,0) as the default, and just have transparent pixels to do the centering of options.png?
If you want to, it doesn't matter to me. I have to redo options.png anyway. Though, you could just remove the transparent from the beginning of your image to get the right result.
passingby wrote: I also noticed something strange about 'right.png':
[spoiler]If you answer correctly on the first try it appears behind your answer:
(leads to possibly nicer customization)

However, if you answer wrong and have the options set to 'show right answer' it covers up the correct answer making it impossible to learn from.
Is that fixable, to have right.png only show up behind the answer?

Also, the 'press CROSS to continue' pop-up message appears behind the images in an image list; covering it up depending on the image placement.
Maybe all pop-up text should always be on top to prevent that?[/spoiler]
I guess this is just a matter of which order I print texts/images. When you have the style ready, I'll try it and see what I can do to solve these issues.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)

Return to “Submissions”