Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

AnyLanguageStudy v3.0 U2 (Unofficial update)

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.2 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

Surfpup wrote:This is a great application, but I have a few suggestions.

If I come across anything new, I have to guess random answers. Perhaps it should show you the correct answer after you choose one wrong answer?
That's a good idea. Maybe I do it this way.
Surfpup wrote: I'm not sure how you're keeping info on what the user has "learned", but if I were the programmer, I would do something like: keep a score for each learning item (word, sentence, etc.) which goes up when the user gets the answer correct, and goes down when he gets it wrong. Then, it could automatically bring up the ones you have gotten a lower score on more often, because it knows you need to improve on those.
Yes. I had an idea that questions are asked based on earned points (different points for right and wrong answers). For example, max. points is 5 for right answers and max. points is 3 for wrong answers. I run into a problem with Lua arrays, but I think I can overcome it in the future. At the moment, the logic try to avoid asking same questions which have been asked before.
Surfpup wrote: The only problem with this is that these csv files (presumably) have lots of data in them, so it would also be a good idea to encourage the user to master 10 or 20 or so at a time before moving on to another batch of stuff. It kind of needs to break it down into smaller, more manageable pieces.
I think this can be done and I have seen how it has been done. However, for now, the user can break the lists as s/he wishes. I think the vocabulary lists are in order of a-ka-sa-ta-na... (hiragana) and then a-ka-sa-ta-na... (katakana order). It's easy to break this in a group of a, in a group of ka and so on.
Surfpup wrote: Anyway, good job so far.
Thank you for your feedback! Great ideas!
Advertising
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
waratte

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.2 (by Nakano)

Post by waratte »

I could use this brew as flash card program? I have a big history exam and I always have my psp with me.
I hope you all above me know how to speak some basic ??? before you try to overwhelm yourself with kana and kanji. ;)
Advertising
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.3 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

waratte wrote:I could use this brew as flash card program? I have a big history exam and I always have my psp with me.
I hope you all above me know how to speak some basic ??? before you try to overwhelm yourself with kana and kanji. ;)
Yes, you can use AnyLanguageStudy for that too.

I have made a lot of progress and Genesis has a new sponsor (splash screen is updated) so I think it's time for a new release. There are two planned future features which are not in use yet (example sentences and divide questions in smaller parts). I added them in options as it was easier to do right away. I hope to finish them before deadline, but I still have a plenty of time before.

Changelog for AnyLanguageStudy v0.3
- Question size can be changed with analog UP/DOWN.
- Added a Global Options menu.
- Added an option for showing right answer if you answered wrongly.
- Added an option to wait before answering choices are given.
- Added a verb conjugations practice that is useful with new delay function.

Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.3 (signed for OFW and LCFW)
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.3 (not signed)
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.4 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

Hello everyone!

This is the fourth release of AnyLanguageStudy. I have now implemented all the features that I was planning to and even a few more. I think that now this homebrew can compete against some similar commercial services (like WordDive, though that cannot be used with portable devices). I am now having a break, but if you have any suggestions, ideas, bug reports or any other comments and questions, please be free to share them.

Here is the changelog for AnyLanguageStudy v0.4 (see readme for further details how to use new features):

V0.4 03/08/2011
* Added a support for picture word lists
* Added a support for example sentences (option)
* Added a support for range what is asked (option)
* Added keys menu
* New word lists
- Picture word list for Japanese/English for studying verbs.
* New sentences
- Japanese example sentences (used by word lists in /japanese -folder)
- Kana example words so that beginners can study Japanese ABC as efficiently as possible (used by kana.csv)

IMAGES

DOWNLOAD
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.4 (signed)
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.4 (not signed)
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.5 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

Hello everybody!

Here is the fifth release of AnyLanguageStudy. I have added many new features. Last release had 2310 lines of code/comments, but this has more than 3100. So if you find any bugs, please report them as exactly as possible so that I can test the bug. Next releases are mainly about fixing bugs (if needed) as there are no plans for new features. Now I can just sit back and see what kind of innovations other Genesis developers come up. And if you liked my application, remember to vote it on May.

Here is the changelog for v0.5:
* Fixed a typo sring to string which caused a crash in certain situation.
* Modified logic, if word was not known immediately. Now it's not marked as known when you correct yourself.
* Improved usability by adding new notes and changing option texts.
* Added an option to switch the font color. I did some usability testing and they considered that it's difficult to see the answers if background and text are white (may be a problem with picture lists).
* Added an option to wait a press after the right answer (requested by Kassad).
* A possibility to search English definitions. For example, you may create your own phrase book for Japanese (or any other language) and use it when you're visiting the country. If you want to use pre-made sentences, I parsed Tatoeba sentences (from 04/03/2011; approx. 150,000 sentences) for you. (extra feature)

Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.5 (signed)
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.5 (not signed)
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
nakano

AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 (teaser)

Post by nakano »

Hello everyone! I decided to create a small teaser for AnyLanguageStudy. Here it is:
An upcoming version will solve a few minor bugs like a strange circle you might have seen. In addition, a better optimization for showing the included Japanese example sentences is to be provided.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

v0.6 is now available. Changelog:
- Sentence zoom support.
- Minor bug fixes.
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 (signed)
Download link of AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 (not signed)
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

Thanks. Can I learn Japanese from scratch or do I need to know the basics before starting this?
Which Lua interpreter are you using?
toBsucht
VIP

Post by toBsucht »

AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 signed (and shrinked) http://www.mediafire.com/?7mw6t0klrlye9h9 ~200kb smaller than the unsigned but please Nakano do always upload both ver. thx. signed and shrinked with EasyPBPRX_1.0.0.3
HomeBrews working with Psp 6.xx fw viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2624
ofw (shrunk) HomeBrews viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1879

All Psp homebrews at mfi.re/toBsucht
http://pspinstaller.co.uk
nakano

Post by nakano »

ASKidwai wrote:Thanks. Can I learn Japanese from scratch or do I need to know the basics before starting this?
Which Lua interpreter are you using?
You're welcome. There are vocabulary lists with romaji support too so those would be beginner friendly. I recommend to start with kana (for Japanese ABC) and vocab_jlptN5 (for common words). In addition, set range to 10 so that it will only ask 10 words at a time. However, if you want to learn Japanese grammar, I suggest buying Japanese for Busy People I Revised 3rd Edition (kana version; use my app to learn the kana first.).

As for interpreter, I'm using Zack's LuaPlayer Euphoria V8. It's good, but I would hope a better support for Japanese Osk and Japanese string storing.
toBsucht wrote:AnyLanguageStudy v0.6 signed (and shrinked) http://www.mediafire.com/?7mw6t0klrlye9h9 ~200kb smaller than the unsigned but please Nakano do always upload both ver. thx. signed and shrinked with EasyPBPRX_1.0.0.3
Thanks toBsucht! I will. Added your link to the first post. Smaller than unsigned; that's something.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)

Return to “Submissions”