Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

AnyLanguageStudy v3.0 U2 (Unofficial update)

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
asci

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v1.0 (by Nakano)

Post by asci »

HI hakano...first THx for this cool App! I was waiting for that...hope french and spanish are only the beginning :)
Its a cool tool while traveling, if u have time on a train to kill....to learn the language of ur contry
I add a sendspace link for V 1.0 singned, so others who dont have a computer connected to their psp can download the newest version too...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v7f4dt
Advertising
nakano

Post by nakano »

Thanks Asci for the feedback and the mirror! I also tested the application in a train trip once and wrote down matters I wanted to improve.

As for future word lists, it's mostly up to the community. I have other projects than creating word lists for all the languages of the world. I am quite satisfied with the Japanese word lists; everything else is extra for me. However, Anki is a really good source of creating custom word lists. You just need to get Anki list and export as a text file. Replace ";" with "," and then replace " " (tabulator) with ";". This is the simpliest situation. Sometimes you might want to delete unnecessary columns with Open Office / Excel or write a parser that delete html code or separate items to multiple files using a certain tag.
Advertising
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
(|EcLiPsE|)
HBL Tester

Post by (|EcLiPsE|) »

What a great homebrew, thanks. With it i will learn japanise, great work man, thanks again :D .
nakano

Post by nakano »

Hello everyone!

This is just an informative update. I am still planning to do a release when the competition has completely ended. So if you have created any custom word/image/sentence lists and you allow me to include them for the official release, you may share them in this thread or pm me.

Regards,
Nakano
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
asci

Post by asci »

if u wait a bit i will do that with french and spanish...but now it is summer, i got barely time to breath ;)
nakano

Post by nakano »

Thank you Asci, that sounds really good! Yes, I can wait. Enjoy the summer time; would mid-July be ok?
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

Hey Nakano, I saw that you made an updated version that also included the Remember The Kanji pack (cool).
If you're interested, I was able to remove all the unused kanji images from the pack so now the total size is just under 8.5mb with just the 3007 images needed for the course.
Here it is:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZFYR986
I also included an edited index.lua that centers the images (check the readme).

Do you think in a future version of AnyLanguageStudy it'll be possible to have individual image centering settings for each course?
As it is now one setting controls everything.

Also, are you going to post any more updates here or is there a better way to follow your work?
nakano

Re: AnyLanguageStudy v2.0 (by Nakano)

Post by nakano »

passingby wrote:Hey Nakano, I saw that you made an updated version that also included the Remember The Kanji pack (cool).
If you're interested, I was able to remove all the unused kanji images from the pack so now the total size is just under 8.5mb with just the 3007 images needed for the course.
Hi passingby! Nice that you were able to find it. And thank's for the reduced image set. I am always interested in custom word lists.
passingby wrote: Do you think in a future version of AnyLanguageStudy it'll be possible to have individual image centering settings for each course?
As it is now one setting controls everything.
Oh... I knew I forgot to add something. Technically you would be able to achieve this by adding unvisible whitespace at the beginning of every image. I considered this, but didn't invest further enough how to do this. Second, maybe a better option is that csv-file includes the (x,y) coordinate for every image. Like

cat;50;50;cat.png

or/and a global (x,y) setting at the beginning of file. If these are not told then, use (0,0). I would then need to do some code changes. I cannot promise when, but I'll gladly accept requests like this. However, do people have multiple image lists in use? Is this feature currently needed by anyone?

passingby wrote: Also, are you going to post any more updates here or is there a better way to follow your work?
Hmm... I don't think I'll keep you informed about the releases in here as Genesis ended. Well, I can send you private message if I remember and if I get the requested features done. Any other features in mind?
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)
passingby

Post by passingby »

nakano wrote:However, do people have multiple image lists in use? Is this feature currently needed by anyone?
Maybe not currently, but I think once you find the right audience AnyLanguageStudy will take off and many more custom image lists will start appearing. The need will be there for centering options.
Also, the potential is there to go beyond just language study with image lists like: flags, animal breeds, birds, flowers, etc., pretty much any subject that needs visual distinctions that someone wants to study.
(And word lists could also venture into trivia like History, Pop Culture, etc.)
I made some mock-ups for fun:
[spoiler]National Flags:

Dog Breeds (centered differently):
Image[/spoiler]

nakano wrote:Hmm... I don't think I'll keep you informed about the releases in here as Genesis ended. Well, I can send you private message if I remember and if I get the requested features done. Any other features in mind?
I was hoping maybe you had a more permanent place where updates would go so I could keep track myself, like a website/blog page we could tell people about and maybe a community could form. For an App like yours it really needs a big community input to grow word list wise.

As for new feature ideas, I'll throw a few out there and go into details:

1. An optional timer could be used for testing recollection speed or for setting personal speed goals.
For example: When you enable the "Wait press after right answer" option it could also show the time it took to answer (the timer could remain hidden until then), and maybe show the time it took to complete your set range when it says "Set once correct".

2. A way to set a custom word range. The {All, 10, 20, 50, 100} option is sometimes limiting. Or maybe a way to define custom ranges in a word list(.csv) so you can set up multiple lessons without having to create multiple short word lists.
For example: If you know on your word list 28-42 are related and should be studied in a group you can set up your word list to make pressing left/right on the analog stick switch from 1-27 (lesson 01), to 28-42 (lesson 02), etc.

Another (probably easier) option would be to group related word lists (languages/lessons) on the main menu.
For example: You can select 'English-Japanese' from the main menu instead of having to hit L/R until you find it and all the JLPT lists would be in 'JLPT'. From there you can select 'JLPT' to get to the courses N1, N2, N3, etc.
There would still be multiple short word lists but at least they'll be organized.

3. A way to define a custom layout for each word/image list to maximize screen space and add a little personal touch from the creator of the list, or to just set everything up to your own liking.
Here's an example of how I would do an image list:
[spoiler]Half the screen for the image, half for the choices:
Image[/spoiler]

I think that's it for now. :lol:
nakano

Post by nakano »

Hi passingby!

Very good suggestions. I have started to add a few features you requested. I won't be adding all of them, only those that I find necessary and those that can be done within a reasonable amount of time.
passingby wrote: 1. An optional timer could be used for testing recollection speed or for setting personal speed goals.
For example: When you enable the "Wait press after right answer" option it could also show the time it took to answer (the timer could remain hidden until then), and maybe show the time it took to complete your set range when it says "Set once correct".
This is a nice idea, but would need a lot of modifications. User can be studying the same set during several days and can change the range. --> difficult to estimate the time correctly. Maybe I could store the time user got a word right and count average from this information / estimation how long it will take to complete the range. I could add the recollection speed for one word. However, I am not that interested in adding the support. Priority: Low.
passingby wrote: 2. A way to set a custom word range. The {All, 10, 20, 50, 100} option is sometimes limiting. Or maybe a way to define custom ranges in a word list(.csv) so you can set up multiple lessons without having to create multiple short word lists.
For example: If you know on your word list 28-42 are related and should be studied in a group you can set up your word list to make pressing left/right on the analog stick switch from 1-27 (lesson 01), to 28-42 (lesson 02), etc.
Consider this done. Priority: High.
passingby wrote: Another (probably easier) option would be to group related word lists (languages/lessons) on the main menu.
For example: You can select 'English-Japanese' from the main menu instead of having to hit L/R until you find it and all the JLPT lists would be in 'JLPT'. From there you can select 'JLPT' to get to the courses N1, N2, N3, etc.
There would still be multiple short word lists but at least they'll be organized.
No, this is more difficult. This is a very good idea, but needs a lot of work. I could probably consider two drill levels max. For example, 1) Select English-Japanese, 2) Select <any word list from this set>. Priority: Medium.
passingby wrote: 3. A way to define a custom layout for each word/image list to maximize screen space and add a little personal touch from the creator of the list, or to just set everything up to your own liking.
Here's an example of how I would do an image list:
[spoiler]Half the screen for the image, half for the choices:
Image[/spoiler]
Too many modifications to too many places, so no (yes, source code could be more organized, but it isn't). However, I am going to add a possibility to use custom styles. The problem is, I would hope someone to create new styles (needed for images: background, circle, cross, keys, longbutton, mouse, options, right, search, sentence, shortbutton, square and triangle). Priority: Medium.

I will also add the possibility to set (x,y) coordinates for images. So if you have those flag sets ready, I would be interested in adding them for demonstrating the possibilities of AnyLanguageStudy.
Genesis 2011 projects:
* AnyLanguageStudy
* Company (Card Game)

Return to “Submissions”