Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
#37313 by Sand3r
Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm
CubeMania

General info:
Homebrew type: Homebrew puzzle game
Homebrew dev: Sand3r
Homebrew current version: v1.4
Homebrew official page: http://sand3r.net/apps/1/cubemania/

What?
CubeMania is a PSP homebrew application featuring 4 small puzzle games, called FillUp, Matrix, Slide, and - recently added -, PushIt.
They're all quite similar to each other as they have the same design and idea: a game board that's made out of cubes, basically just squares, but with a better name ;).
With this concept, I could create some tiny logic puzzles:

• FillUp - it's about filling up the game board so, it doesn't contain free spaces anymore and without blocking yourself;
  • Matrix - control the cubes in such a way that the numbers on the side of the grid, match with the highlighted cubes on that current row/column;
  • Slide - pretend you're a tiny cube on a game board full of slippery ice. When you start sliding, there's no way you're going to stop unless you hit a wall or an obstacle. Try to reach the destination spot;
  • PushIt - you're on the field with crates around you. It's your task to push them onto the finish spots to complete the level.

So, where can I get this?
Signed version (v1.4) - http://sand3r.net/downloads/Apps/CubeMa ... signed.zip
Unsigned version (v1.4) - http://sand3r.net/downloads/Apps/CubeMa ... signed.zip
Older versions of CubeMania - http://sand3r.net/downloads.php?dir=dow ... CubeMania/

Known bugs
-

Release history
Version 1.0
- Initial release

Version 1.1
- Fixed crash on pressing HOME button;
- Added 'Retry' option in the in-game menu;
- Slightly improved graphics (skinnable!);
- Added decent level editors;
- One extra Slide level, to make it a round number.

Version 1.2
- Fixed Matrix problem: multiple solutions now possible;
- Integrated level editor;
- Multiple user-made levels added.

Version 1.2.1
- Hotfix to solve a Matrix issue where you could 'win' the game by filling the game board with empty-marked cubes. (Thanks to Mad Mark for reporting this!)

Version 1.3
- CubeMania uses fonts (.pgf) from now on, instead of text images;
- Added new game mode 'PushIt';
- Completed the integrated Level Editor for all game modes;
- Themes are now supported (3 default themes included);
- Added new levels for several game modes;
- Matrix is finally bug free and supports multiple solutions;
- Small bugfixes and perfomance updates.

Version 1.4:
- FillUp - Level 26 fixed: it was unable to solve;
- Previously selected theme now applies automatically at start up;
- Possible to test your newly created levels;
- Matrix is now even more bug free. A rare bug might came up about 'solving' the level, while that wasn't the case * Thank you Mad Mark for all your support ;) *;
- In PushIt it's no longer possible to push a crate to the next row when you push it against the outer edge (like word wrapping);
- Added some more advanced PushIt levels.

Screenshots
"Click here for screenshots *updated*"

Is there some more info on this?
Sure there is!
http://sand3r.net/wp/apps/cubemania/

Happy puzzling & creating levels! :mrgreen:
Advertising
Last edited by Sand3r on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 25 times in total.
#37347 by toBsucht
Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm
really nice signed and unsigned so i start downloading
nice job i done the first mistake in level 4(called FillUp) more levels pls
Advertising
Last edited by toBsucht on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#37597 by Sand3r
Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I know the PSP freezes when attempting to shut it down via the HOME button, that's why I explicitly made an option in the menu, so you'll have to use that until I found out why this problem occurs, sorry :)
I'll mention it in my first post for other users as well. *DONE*

I surely could add a 'retry' option in the pause menu, but also know that pressing 'triangle' will do the same ;)
#37641 by Nymphaea
Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm
Sand3r, you need to add an exit callback for it to not freeze :) Basically set the callback to be the same "exit" function(if you have one) that your built in exit button calls, or if it just breaks out of your main function loop(flag or "break;") then just get it to set a flag that will break out of the main loop :P

Either way, looks nice, it would be nice if you actually upgraded it to cubes, though ;) Especially for the FillUp and Slide modes, both mini games I remember in many other games which definitely deserve their own titles. I can just imagine seed a 3D cube rolling around on FillUp, or sliding and bouncing around on impact in slide :P Would give it some more visual appeal, if you feel like taking the time to do it.

Also, just a note, I hope there is much bigger and more complicated levels than that level 20 ;) That one took me a few seconds hehe
#37689 by Sand3r
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm
Nymphaea wrote:Sand3r, you need to add an exit callback for it to not freeze :) Basically set the callback to be the same "exit" function(if you have one) that your built in exit button calls, or if it just breaks out of your main function loop(flag or "break;") then just get it to set a flag that will break out of the main loop :P

Hmm, indeed, makes sense. I used to do this, but now that I'm using OSLib, I just thought OSLib would handle it, because there's 'OslQuit()' and the documentation says that should do the trick, well, apparently, it doesn't :P
But thanks! As soon as I've got some spare time, I'll fix it ;)

Nymphaea wrote:Either way, looks nice, it would be nice if you actually upgraded it to cubes, though ;) Especially for the FillUp and Slide modes, both mini games I remember in many other games which definitely deserve their own titles. I can just imagine seed a 3D cube rolling around on FillUp, or sliding and bouncing around on impact in slide :P Would give it some more visual appeal, if you feel like taking the time to do it.

Yeah, I know. Next thing I'm going to do (or better: trying to do) is using images instead of this silly, childish 2D drawing. I'd love to see some 3D instead, but that's surely not in my capabilities, as there are not that many good tutorials. Some got outdated, some don't work anymore (bad links etc.). (And yes, I know of the 'NeHe' tuts, or something like that, but that really looks a bridge too far and if I recall correctly, I tried them already once. Maybe let's try this again...)

Some effects, though, shouldn't be too hard to implement and it looks definitely fun (as well as programming it and seeing it working in-game) :)

Nymphaea wrote:Also, just a note, I hope there is much bigger and more complicated levels than that level 20 ;) That one took me a few seconds hehe

Indeed, I'll have to add way more levels, but right now, my creativity is on a break :P As soon as I got some other, slightly more important bugs worked out, I'll start working on a - hopefully - decent Level Editor. That will give me, and the user base, a nice 'start' to create some levels.

As far as I go with it, I think level 10 is the hardest :mrgreen:
#37707 by Nymphaea
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 pm
So long as you used oslInit(0);, it should be fine. You probably didn't set it up right, all OSLib's exit callback does is set the "osl_quit" flag to 1, so either have an if that quits your homebrew if osl_quit==1, or just make your main while loop to run while !osl_quit :P

You could use 2D sprites that make it look like a 3D cube rolling around if you have the time for that :P

Definitely a good level editor, that allows you to share the levels, would be nice :D I'm not sure if the size of the map is constant, but it would be nice if you made a very high max, like maybe 100x50 or something, it would need the sprites scaled down but would give a lot more challenge(somewhat evil challenge, depending on how big and how it's set up :roll: )
#37769 by Léo
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm
Sweet game!
But imo ingame gfx are really not as nice as menu's ones, you should try to improbe them ;)
#37795 by Nymphaea
Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 pm
Okay so far I've gotten through FillUp and am playing with Matrix(I know it's random so no real finishing it, lol) but I think I found a bug in FillUp.

I'm guessing the way you randomize Matrix is to just pick a bunch of random squares, then it finds the numbers. The problem with this is if there is multiple possible answers, it only accepts one. The random squares is probably the best way to randomize, it's guaranteed to have atleast 1 working combination, but the win condition should be if all the numbers are correct, not if the squares are the same.

On another note, as a suggestion for FillUp(possibly for Slide as well) you should make a level list, with all the names and their difficulty rating.(maybe 1-5 stars?) I definately agree 10 is the hardest so far, took me a while to figure it out :P
#37942 by flofrucht
Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am
Thanks,very sweet game ;)

I'll test it on my PSPgo with TN-C.

-flofrucht