Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to submit your entry

Submit your entry for the competition here.
check http://wololo.net/genesis for detailed rules
Zasisem

Re: How to submit your entry

Post by Zasisem »

Whoa I better start programming :lol good luck everyone :D
Advertising
Malachi

Post by Malachi »

Quick question Mr. Wololo: I am currently programming a game for this competition and would like to know if it is valid in case I need to hash the project and start over.

The game I am programming would be a sequel to a SNES game. For example: Chrono Trigger(not the game so don't get your hopes up guys :| ) and I wanted to do a Chrono Trigger 2. I would use sprites from the previous game and incorporate them into my game(possible pallete color change).

I have added a disclaimer screen stating:

"This is for entertainment purposes only.
All rights reserved."

Is this ok for the competition? As in is it ok to use sprites from a different game to make my own?
Advertising
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I will confirm this with the judges, but here is a first answer

Here is my opinion:
1) Using sprites from another game when you don't have the rights for these sprites is illegal in most countries of the world. This is called counterfeit and is very risky business.
2) because of rule 1 above, asking if we would accept your game in the competition is quite silly. We only accept stuff that is legal, obviously
3) Many Homebrew programmers don't have the means to create graphics, and have a tendency to reuse existing stuff... we can't control that every single sprite is legally used, so most likely some entries will be using content they are not allowed to use, and we won't notice (we will do our best though)

Conclusion:
My official answer is: don't submit illegal stuff, of course!
My personal answer is: we probably won't reject an entry that uses unauthorized sprites (because we can't check everything), but if we know/learn that there is some illegal content in the homebrew, this will strongly impact the judges' vote.

If you have the possibility and time, I strongly suggest you consider creating your own sprites for the game, or find a designer willing to help you.
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Malachi

Post by Malachi »

Wololo wrote:I will confirm this with the judges, but here is a first answer
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I should have just submitted it and hoped for the best ;) lol but if people or the judges would have played the original then it would have been a dead giveaway.

I only asked the question because the company that made the game has been nonexistent for almost 10 years.

I know that back in school if we used other company's logos, work, or other things we would credit them by simply stating property rights and could get away with it. That is why I added the disclaimer.
Luig

Post by Luig »

My question is simple. Are we allowed to use Joyau, a Ruby Interpreter for the PSP. Its basically an eboot that reads the main script in the same directory as the eboot and executes code accordingly. I got a very good idea, something that will be very useful to both the general public and developers but the thing is I usually either code in C#, Pascal, BASIC or in scripting languages such as AutoIt and Ruby. I'm have no prior experience with coding in C++.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Luig wrote:My question is simple. Are we allowed to use Joyau, a Ruby Interpreter for the PSP.
Yes, but make sure that your homebrew runs "standalone", that is, please include the interpreter (I guess, the EBOOT) with your script.

npt
VIP

Post by npt »

Wololo,
Just goes to show we do think quite a like. I agree with all of the "rulings" if you will have you have said so far, just to get that out. : )

Regards,

npt

:ugeek:
davidgf

Post by davidgf »

Hey! I have one question:
# You are allowed to submit your homebrew to other sites/competitions as long as you submitted it to the PSP Genesis competition first. If you posted your homebrew on another website before submitting it to this competition, the entry won't be accepted
I submited my game to neoflash and scenebeta but the game was a one level demo. If I finish my game can I enter the contest? (or nearly finish it, like release candidate?)
Thank you!
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Yes if there are enough changes compared to the demo we will gladly accept it

npt
VIP

Post by npt »

Wololo wrote:
NightStar3 wrote: I'm going to show the Splash Screen in the installer, if that's fine with the mods of the contest.
Yes, this sounds like a very good solution :)
I agree wholeheartedly with Wololo, NS3, this is a good solution.

Regards,

npt

:ugeek:

Return to “Submissions”