Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

@Wololo and others...Genesis Compo 2012?

The biggest PSP Homebrew competition ever.
More info at http://wololo.net/genesis
Sunshine7

@Wololo and others...Genesis Compo 2012?

Post by Sunshine7 »

Based on the coming release of the PSP Vita and the fact that the usage of the PSP is going down because of the growth in Ipod's, Androids and other handheld devices. Do you guys think the PSP scene will soon come extinct?
At this point are you contemplating a Genesis Compo 2012 or have you condemned any such idea?
Just wondering your thoughts on this...
Advertising
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Re: @Wololo and others...Genesis Compo 2012?

Post by Disturbed0ne »

That's the beauty of the Hombrew scene, no matter if the PSP doesn't have any new games released there will always be people making homebrews for it. 8-)
Advertising
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
Dwighty

Post by Dwighty »

I don't the PSP scene will die. This is my 'IMO' and I'll tell you why I think this.

A: I don't think the PSP2/Vita will ever be hacked to death like the PSP has been. Yar, yar, I'm aware everyone else here would claim the opposite. Myself, I believe after the PSN farce, the signing keys for PSP farce, the PS3 jailbreaks well, I think Sony will up their game considerably with the PSP 2 /Vita. If this turns out to be the case the original PSP will have an advantage over the PSP 2/Vita. Aside from the retro SNES/MD/GBAN64/etc... emulators, what other machine in the portable world can you every PSX game ever released? And guess what? It happens to play PS2 standard PSP games too!

B: You may laugh. I believe the PSP GO will become a modern day classic. Please, if you have one don't flog it. keep it nice, look after it, put it somewhere safe if need be, secure all the hens and homebrew for it and stick it on ebay in twenty years time.

C: Yes, the new games will dry up. How many games games can one man get through in his lifetime anyway. I'm not sure of the precise figues but I'd imagine there is about 400 games released out there and over a 1000 PSX games. I agree with the 'DisturbedOne'; it's about the homebrew. I maybe wrong about this (I'm usually wrong about everything else.:P ), but what other gaming machine has as much, and as varied, amount of homebrew available to it. There's PSP homebrew for everything. If I want a piece of toast with some nice strawberry jam on it then guess what, yes, yes, that's right, there's a piece of PSP homebrew that can do even that for you.

If someone somewhere devised a way where the PSP GO could get mobile broadband without using mifi, man, I'd be set up for my gaming life. Even so, it is still a PSP game player, a full on retro game player, a MP3 player, a movie player, a mutimedia player, a photo viewer player, an internet player, a homebrew player, a PDF/text file reader player, a TV remote player, a google map player, an alarm clock.
Gee, if I was in a spaceship in space and someone let the spaceship door open and I got sucked out into space then I'd ask one of the other astronauts to throw my PSP to me on the way out, I'd do that because I'd be really bored in space, because you probably drift away from the spaceship really fast and forever, and my PSP would keep me entertained. I've always wanted to finish Final Fantasy Crisis Core and I've never had the time.

I'm the PSP GO's biggest fan btw. PSP GO FTW, um.....................yay.
Sunshine7

Post by Sunshine7 »

Wow...If this was Facebook I would like that post dwighty...the reason I ask this question is because i was considering whether it's beneficial or not to get involved in developing this scene because of the chance the device would become obsolete...but your post really inspired me i had always wanted to believe that there were people who loved the PSP as much as i do but for some reason i didn't believe my thoughts...but ur post clearly proves me wrong :)
I do have one question tho...in your post you mentioned a t.v. remote player...i've never heard of that...is it something that uses bluetooth and is therefore only available for the PSP Go?
Dwighty

Post by Dwighty »

Thanks, I really really love my PSP.

I stretched the truth a little with the TV remote bit btw. :shock:

You can do it, but not on the PSP GO unfortunately. You can use the olders PSPs' that have the infrared port as a TV remote, inconjuntion with the 'PSP Universal Remote' homebrew. That doesn't lessen the PSP GO in anyway as the PSP Go is the best thing since sliced bread in my eyes. :P

And I also forgot to say my PSP GO is a skype phone too, in my original post. :lol:
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Now that it's hackable, I must admit my psp go is the one I take with me, while my 3000 and my 1000 are slowly dying.

About genesis...let's wait until it's fully over (we are still waiting for some prizes) before we take any decision for a "sequel". the past 12 months were big for the PSP scene, and I'm not sure it will be that easy to find so many sponsors next year. This was also a huge work to organize all this, much more than I initially thought... but I'll discuss things with npt, see what he thinks about this.

We're both definitely excited at the amount and the quality of entries we got for the Genesis competition, so there's definitely motivation on our side to do something else some day...but we need to discuss what it's going to be, when it's going to happen, etc...
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Sunshine7

Post by Sunshine7 »

Thanks for your reply Wololo I really appreciate it!!
Disturbed0ne
Retired Mod

Post by Disturbed0ne »

Last edited by Disturbed0ne on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DO NOT MESSAGE ME ABOUT THE NAME OF ANY NINJA RELEASE GAME! I WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME OF THE GAME AND IF YOU PERSIST THEN I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE STAFF!
I AM A RETIRED MODERATOR!
RNB_PSP

Post by RNB_PSP »

Dwighty wrote:I don't the PSP scene will die. This is my 'IMO' and I'll tell you why I think this.

A: I don't think the PSP2/Vita will ever be hacked to death like the PSP has been. Yar, yar, I'm aware everyone else here would claim the opposite. Myself, I believe after the PSN farce, the signing keys for PSP farce, the PS3 jailbreaks well, I think Sony will up their game considerably with the PSP 2 /Vita. If this turns out to be the case the original PSP will have an advantage over the PSP 2/Vita. Aside from the retro SNES/MD/GBAN64/etc... emulators, what other machine in the portable world can you every PSX game ever released? And guess what? It happens to play PS2 standard PSP games too!
The Vita has a more common hardware than the PSP. Not sure though if that'll make it harder/easier to hack. I wonder if the Vita will have the VME or NEON.
Sunshine7

Post by Sunshine7 »

Disturbed0ne wrote:...
??

Return to “PSP Genesis Competition 2011”