Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Disqualify Nazi Zombies Portable

The biggest PSP Homebrew competition ever.
More info at http://wololo.net/genesis
Sand3r

Re: Disqualify Nazi Zombies Portable

Post by Sand3r »

I can see your point, and I think you're even right, but shouldn't Lamecraft be disqualified as well?
I mean, the textures, the idea, it's all ripped from the original Minecraft game. Did the creator of Lamecraft ask permission to Notch, the developer of Minecraft?
Advertising
* PSP 3004 - 6.35 PRO B5
* Creator of CubeMania - Genesis competition 2011
Coldbird
Guru

Post by Coldbird »

Ideas arent plagiarizeable, several famous european court examples and european software laws are proof to that. The idea behind those court examples were word processing tools like libre office vs microsoft office.

So lamecraft should be fine.
Advertising
PSP N-1000 ✔ / 6.20 PRO NIGHTLY ✔ / PRO ONLINE ✔
blubswillrule

Post by blubswillrule »

to clear things up....

we DO need to release the engine source... but I currently don't have it.

we DO NOT have to release the qc code.

Dude, just settle down, wait for jukki to come back, and the engine source will follow... jeese, from where I'm standing, it looks like you're just some guy that's trying to get rid of the competition.
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Based on jukki's post:
Nzp is using a heavily modified quake engine called proquake. This engine is made by baker. and we have editted it to suit our needs.
So what is required is for you guys to release the modified sources of proquake.
My understanding is that qc was entirely made by you and does not need to be open sourced.
blubswillrule: your team have 48h to come clear on this matter, by putting the necessary source (your edited source of proquake) in a location that is easy enough to retrieve. Jukki's post in the submissions subforum should contain a link to these modified sources of baker's engine. If you can't have that done in the next 48h we'll have to remove your entry from the contest :| (and I think 48h is fair since you guys released the binary almost a month ago, so technically you already had a month to do it!)

As I said above, my current understanding is that besided the engine itself, you do not need to open source anything else.

Based on what I've seen, I'm convinced this is just a misunderstanding, and I'm sure this will be solved soon.
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Lartza

Post by Lartza »

blubswillrule wrote:to clear things up....

we DO NOT have to release the qc code.

Dude, just settle down, wait for jukki to come back, and the engine source will follow... jeese, from where I'm standing, it looks like you're just some guy that's trying to get rid of the competition.
I hope I was talented enough to code something for PSP, but sorry no :) This is all correct, you don't have to release qc because you can just deny it has any GPL content and nobody can say anything to that (except id software or proquake team if one can prove it has proquake edits in it)
blubswillrule

Post by blubswillrule »

Thanks @wololo, it will all be cleared up soon. ;)

... if Jukki replies
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

They don't have to release the QC, thats not under GPL.

But lets just hope Jukki returns in time. Blubs, the least you could do would be to link Everyone to ProQuakes source. That much should suffice until Jukki returns from his trip.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

I totally agree with Wololo. Based on the facts exposed here, they definitely need to release the engine source code at least.

Please people with no knowledge about what's being discussed here, don't comment. If you don't know what GPL is (let aside spelling it properly) do not comment, and abstain of useless flaming posts. I'm going to delete useless irrelevant posts to keep this thread clean, because it was costly to follow important posts from garbage. Same will happen with subsequent posting.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
blubswillrule

Post by blubswillrule »

Errr, Umm I've encountered a major setback with the release of the source...

It is said that the source be available upon request, and the source (the engine source) has not been requested until now, the problem with that is the ONLY person that has the source is Jukki, and he is currently away on vacation, I have tried contacting him in any way possible, but he is not responding (He wouldn't willingly ignore me, so he is just flat out unavailable) seeing as he was going to go camping, it is entirely possible that he has no cell phone service and no internet connection. Might it be possible to allow Jukki to return to release the source? That 48 hour deadline is looking quite grim seeing as Jukki isn't coming back for another week or so.

Thanks

-blubswillrule
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

I will also continue trying to contact him, but please be lenient towards us. It is completely out of our control whether the source is put up in the designated time frame, but please note that we are making it our utmost priority. Hopefully Jukki will respond and at least let the team and community know that he understands the situation.

Return to “PSP Genesis Competition 2011”