Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

question concering one of the rules

The biggest PSP Homebrew competition ever.
More info at http://wololo.net/genesis
ultimakillz
Retired Mod

question concering one of the rules

Post by ultimakillz »

LUA or other scripting languages are fine as long as your EBOOT runs "standalone".
i was just wondering why this rule is the way that it is. the only thing i can think of is that maybe it would be to easy to rip off someone else's work if the source code was included. but then again a bit part of this competition is being open source so i dont see why that would be a problem. anyway, i have seen posts from a few lua developers wondering why their submissions have to be standalone. some interpreters (i am not sure about all) require the lua script to be seperate and the two cannot be compiled together as far as i know.

anyway, i was just wondering what the reasons were and if something could possibly be worked out :)
Advertising
hardhat

Re: question concering one of the rules

Post by hardhat »

So the intention of this rule is that the distribution you provide for your game cannot require additional downloads to run. So you include the music nad sound effect, image assets, lua scripts and of course the EBOOT.PBP (for the lua interpreter).

And why not? Customize the eboot name, icon and pic for a more polished entry.
Advertising
ultimakillz
Retired Mod

Post by ultimakillz »

no additional downloads makes sense to me, but the way i read it was that the script must somehow be compiled into a single eboot (if that is even possible). anyway, just some clarification from the judges would be a big help :)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

as hardhat said, the only goal of this rule is that people don't have additional required downloads to run the homebrew. In other words, we don't want you to send a Lua or ruby script and say "get the interpreter and you should be fine".
We want your archive to contain both the interpreter eboot and the script, and we want the interpreter eboot to run the script directly, without the user having to "select" the script in a menu.

I hope this clarifies :)
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

or as npt said to me in a pm
Hello ASKidwai,
Thanks for you interest in the competition. I do believe this was discussed and we had decided that LUA was allowed. I am waiting for wololo to chime in here as while I am putting on the compo, wololo is most definitely putting in TONS of work here, and so I would like to discuss this with him before I give an absolute answer. We both check this multiple times daily, so, you should have your answer very soon.

Regards,

npt
ultimakillz
Retired Mod

Post by ultimakillz »

Wololo wrote:I hope this clarifies :)
yes, perfectly. i think that is going to work out great for the lua developers. thanks wololo.

Return to “PSP Genesis Competition 2011”