Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How to: "Revitalize" PSP 1000-3000 Battery Pack

All the Help you need is here
GgNtEr

How to: "Revitalize" PSP 1000-3000 Battery Pack

Post by GgNtEr »

Hi,

First some backstory. I once hardmodded, I think back in 200X, my original PSP battery to a Pandora Battery and accidentally stabbed the cell in there when I opened up the battery pack. It still worked, however, the standby mode was kinda disabled and its charge ran out even while not in use. Right afterwards I bought a cheap PSP battery online which really was a knockoff of a genuine PSP-110 battery pack. It worked, but not as long as it should have.

Now, several years later I dug up my old PSP 1000 again and the battery in there (the cheap knockoff) was blown up and couldn't be charged anymore. You might think it's over and you gotta have to buy a brand new one. Think again!
(Most "new" ones are already several years old and might be bloated too or can't hold a charge since, well, Li-Ion cells are pretty vulnerable to deep discharges)

This Tutorial is here to show you how to revitalize your PSPs battery pack to make it useable again.
A few words:
- Do this mod at your own risk.
- Be really careful while you work on it since it's a battery cell you're working on/with.
- Be prepared that it might not work. (Should though)

When do you wanna use this:
- Your old PSP battery won't hold a charge for a few minutes.
- Said battery can't be charged anymore.
- You bought an old battery (or a knockoff) which just doesn't work anymore.
- Your Battery is blown up and bulgy (
THIS IS REALLY AT YOUR OWN RISK HERE! Mine was blown up but it worked out in the end)

But now seriously, lets crack on with it (hurhur, puns...) :
What you need:
- A PSP Battery pack PSP-(maybethere'saletter)110 (Knockoffs work too :))
- A vice
- A PSP & Power adapter (or separate battery loading station if you are so fancy to have that ^^)
- A flat flathead screwdriver
- A Li-Ion battery cell for RC cars or other stuff. (I got a pretty cheap one from ebay: This is the one I've used. You can use it as example) just watch out for mAh and voltage. It should be something similar to what I have. This particular model also fitted perfectly into the old PSP battery pack... pack)
- A soldering iron & solder
- A tiny bit of cable
- A cutting device/scissors

1. Step (Doing this outside is certainly not a wrong thing to do)

Put your battery in a vice like you see in the pictures below.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Slowly screw the vice tighter until you hear a crack. Then stop immediately.
Put your PSP battery the other way around and repeat the process bit by bit.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Stop again when you hear a crack. The two parts of the battery are just glued together and will crack apart under the pressure. Since the battery cell inside of cheap knockoffs is smaller most of the times, the possibility of it being damaged is also smaller.
If you did it right, you should be able to see the top and bottom be separated a bit.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
(In my bloated, blown up battery pack, I heard a short fsssss and it smelled a bit funny. If this happens to you, you probably damaged the cell you probably won't use anymore anyway. Just stop for a bit and look what the pack is doing. Do it outside if you wanna be safe or have a non flammable bin next to you to dump it in. If nothing happens just continue with step 2.)

2. Step, Open the pack

Take your flat flathead screwdriver and put it into the small gap between the 2 halves. You might have to look a bit hard to see the gap. Gradually move through the gap to the top and bottom of the pack and twist the handle of the screwdriver to separate top from bottom. (WORD OF ADVICE: Don't stick the screwdriver in too far because you could damage the battery cell with it. If you do, it smells funny, and you might get a little "woops" moment because of the FSSS sound... but it shouldn't blow up in your face)

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This is one side done, work yourself around it. If you managed to open it, continue to Step 3.

Troubleshooting

[spoiler]Image

Well, this picture is pretty self explainatory.[/spoiler]
3. Step, De-/Resolder

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Peel away the sticky stuff and cut/desolder the connections indicated in the picture above. Care that you don't heat the board too much. The circuit works fine, it's just a pretty cheap battery cell used in this knockoff. Our objective is to take the board.

Once you've peeled out the sticky stuff and separated the board from the cell continue to solder your backup battery cell (In my case said cell from ebay) to the board. Solder the red cable (+) to the B+ socket, the black (-) to the B- socket. (You might have to resolder some stronger wires to the cell itself because most are pretty thin and break off)

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
As you can see I have 2 packs. The one at the top is the one I've already made for a PSP 1000. It uses a slightly different circuitboard, should work the same though. Just find the + and - poles and you're fine.

If everything's fine carry on to step 4.

Step 4, Finishing touches

Now you can put it all together for a testrun. Most bought battery cells still have some power in them when they arrive so you can test if it works.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Example.
I kinda wrecked the top half of the plastic shell of this one. If the same happens to you use a bit of the sticky stuff from the old battery or something thick and stick it on the underside of the battery cover above the contactpins that it pushes the pins to the contacts.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Like this.

Now, now comes the moment of truth. Control again if you have the right contacts and if you do, try to turn on your PSP. If it works, CONGRATULATIONS, the first part is done.

The second part of Part 4 is a loading cycle. If you have an external loading station for your PSP battery, maybe put it outside if you're not sure about your soldering skills. If you just have a PSP, put the pack into your PSP, shut the cover and plug it in. Either keep an eye on it or put it in a non flammable containment if you wanna go for a safe route.

If it loads normally, you're silver. If it's fully loaded without issues you're golden. IF you manage to play with it for a few hours, you're platinum!

My experience

My PSP hasn't blown up yet and I am pretty confident it won't in the future. It already succeeded several loading cycles and still holds its charge like a champion... or something like that...

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This charge is at least 3 days old on standby and is still @ 100%

Other notes:
I also made a test with WLAN on, CFW 6.60 PRO-B10, full brightness, 3/4 volume with headphones, on board Tekken 6 (of which I own the original ofc) in Training mode with 2 Yoshimitsus just idling. The battery held up for about 4 hours in contrast to the 2 seconds of the old battery :) .

Parting Words,

I hope I could help you reviving your old piece of hardware or at least help you making it mobile again. You do this at your own risk. I took the risk and it seems it was worth it. I will probably turn the second battery pack into a working battery too again because I can. Good luck if you try this and hope it works since I've made this tutorial.

Greetings,
GgNtEr

(PS: This is also for those who did not succeed with TN-V on their Vita and still have an old PSP ^^)
Advertising

Return to “Tutorials”