Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Homebrew -> VPK?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
whackm

Homebrew -> VPK?

Post by whackm »

Hey all, it's no problem for me to install a VPK, but is there any app that will take a homebrew app and convert that to a VPK?

It seems that apps such as Vitamin will not convert an unsigned app to a VPK... is that correct?
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Homebrew -> VPK?

Post by fate6 »

vpk is just a renamed zip.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
whackm

Post by whackm »

So I should just zip the ux0:app/PCDXXXXXX directory and rename it to blahblah.vpk ... are there any other files I need to worry about outside of this directory???
whackm

Post by whackm »

Hey guys, I tried to just zip a homebrew on ux0:/app/blahblah, but then when I tried to install this on another PSVita, it gave an error... is there some other directory I need ?
randname

Post by randname »

Though a VPK is just a zip file, you cannot do any compression to files in it, or the VPK file won't be recognized correctly. In the compression software (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-zip, etc.), There is always a setting for you to choose how much you want to compress to files. Set it to "no" or "storage" or "archive" and then compress the homebrew to a zip file and then rename it to .VPK.

No matter where you put the VPK file, the VitaShell could install it, but I don't suggest you to put it in dangerous places such as OS0:, UR0: ,though there might be places.
NDS:Stuck N64 into Game&Watch
PSP:Stuck PS2 into PocketStation
3DS:Stuck VituralBoy into NDS
PSV:Stuck PS3 into PSP
GPD:Stuck PC into NDS
dmaskell92

Post by dmaskell92 »

randname wrote:Though a VPK is just a zip file, you cannot do any compression to files in it, or the VPK file won't be recognized correctly. In the compression software (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-zip, etc.), There is always a setting for you to choose how much you want to compress to files. Set it to "no" or "storage" or "archive" and then compress the homebrew to a zip file and then rename it to .VPK.

No matter where you put the VPK file, the VitaShell could install it, but I don't suggest you to put it in dangerous places such as OS0:, UR0: ,though there might be places.
That's not true, a vpk can be any compressed zip. The error OP is making is because of file structure. You don't need to zip "ux0:app/PCDXXXXXX", you only need to zip the contents of PCDXXXXXX.

I would recommend downloading any VPK, rename the VPK to ZIP and open it to get a file structure example.
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD
randname

Post by randname »

dmaskell92 wrote:
randname wrote:Though a VPK is just a zip file, you cannot do any compression to files in it, or the VPK file won't be recognized correctly. In the compression software (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-zip, etc.), There is always a setting for you to choose how much you want to compress to files. Set it to "no" or "storage" or "archive" and then compress the homebrew to a zip file and then rename it to .VPK.

That's not true, a vpk can be any compressed zip. The error OP is making is because of file structure. You don't need to zip "ux0:app/PCDXXXXXX", you only need to zip the contents of PCDXXXXXX.

I would recommend downloading any VPK, rename the VPK to ZIP and open it to get a file structure example.
I got the experience that I downloaded OneMenu for PSVita and zipped it into a zip file, rename it to .vpk, and the PSVita gave me an error while installing it. For the second time, I zipped the same files, but set the compress method to "archive" and the PSVita installed it successfully.

Besides, no matter you rename other pre-packaged VPKs into *.zip or *.rar or *.7z , the compression software can always open it, which means the files in VPKs are not compressed. If the files inside are compressed, you cannot rename it to *.rar or *.7z, and still open it, because the compression algorithm of ZIP, RAR and 7Z are different.

And what you said is correct, a VPK file with something like "/PCDXXXXXX/*.*" inside cannot be installed.

P.S. I don't know if there is any need to make this clarify, but I'm not arguing or trying to persuade others for "the files in VPK cannot be compressed". It's just my... little experience.
NDS:Stuck N64 into Game&Watch
PSP:Stuck PS2 into PocketStation
3DS:Stuck VituralBoy into NDS
PSV:Stuck PS3 into PSP
GPD:Stuck PC into NDS
dmaskell92

Post by dmaskell92 »

I don't know what kind of problems you have, but I have made several VPK mods for the scene and "store" mode on Zip/VPK files hasn't been required in a long time.
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD

Return to “General”