Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS Vita ARM question.

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
John Dupe

PS Vita ARM question.

Post by John Dupe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:00 am

Could the PS Vita's ARM Cortex A9 (set at a lower clock speed) run ARM11 code? I'm just wondering because if so 3DS games could easily run on the Vita with Rejuvenate and all... If we could, it would be tough trying to dump 3DS carts and putting the code up on the Internet for others to download and run on a different system... someone would get in trouble... just a neat thought... perhaps someone could release a way to dump 3DS carts but not put ROMs on the Internet... that way people would be forced to buy the 3DS game, dump it, and run it on PS Vita. It's not illegal if we own the physical games... right?
Advertising
Stuff I've done:
libvita3d

fate6
Big Beholder

Re: PS Vita ARM question.

Post by fate6 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Yea that's not how that works....
Just because they both use the ARM architecture does not mean they will simply work on each other.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

John Dupe

Post by John Dupe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 am

fate6 wrote:Yea that's not how that works....
Just because they both use the ARM architecture does not mean they will simply work on each other.
would that be things like input (3DS buttons) are different values? It could be easily emulated on the Vita, with everything else running natively.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, as I'd like to know what's wrong with my ideas.
Also please tell me what else would need to be emulated.
Stuff I've done:
libvita3d

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 am

Actually based on a convo I just had it seems you might actually be right, it might be completely possible to run DS and 3DS natively at near to full speed....
Wow that never once crossed my mind as possible but yea both are similar enough that it's indeed a possibility.

Would need to do some reading to confirm but yea...
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

John Dupe

Post by John Dupe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:53 am

fate6 wrote:Actually based on a convo I just had it seems you might actually be right, it might be completely possible to run DS and 3DS natively at near to full speed....
Wow that never once crossed my mind as possible but yea both are similar enough that it's indeed a possibility.

Would need to do some reading to confirm but yea...
Just did some reading of my own and it seems like ARMv7 (Vita) is backwards compatible with ARMv6 (3DS)
For speed and input values, I'm not sure...
Stuff I've done:
libvita3d

zeest

Post by zeest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:09 pm

The biggest problem is the GPU emulation, since they don't have the same GPU.

ViRGE

Post by ViRGE » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:44 am

zeest wrote:The biggest problem is the GPU emulation, since they don't have the same GPU.
Correct.

As far as CPU code goes, you can essentially shim it to get it to run on the Vita. However you still need to reimplement the entire 3DS software stack to do this, and even then the Vita CPU almost certainly lacks the virtualization infrastructure necessary to support said shim. "3DS mode" can't just be an application if you're serious about taking advantage of the ARM synergy and making it fast enough to run on the Vita. It would have to be a whole virtualized OS with a hypervisor.

But the bigger issue is the GPU. You'd have to do wholesale GPU emulation. Every draw command would have to be entirely reprocessed for the Vita.

Return to “General”