Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS VITA new Champion or is PSP still the KING of Homebrew?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Dark GOD

PS VITA new Champion or is PSP still the KING of Homebrew?

Post by Dark GOD » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Now that PS VITA can almost run everything the PSP can via TN-V is it a better portable?
I would say that's still debatable.
For me (perhaps others) I don't really compare the 2.
Why you may ask? Well because: I see the PSP and PS VITA as 2 totally different portables.

PSP is like the portable version of the PS2 and it's games come close to those on the PS2. (Some are even ported from PS2)
PS VITA is undoubtedly the closest to the PS3 from a SONY portable and can be considered a portable PS3.
In 10 years or so we will probably see another NEXT GEN portable from SONY that will top the PS3 graphics but will be just under the PS4.
That's how portables progress.
It takes much longer for such tech like microprocessors to be made available and then become cost efficient for mass production.

Many can probably relate to this: As a kid my favorite portable was the GAME BOY ADVANCE. (Later GBA SP)
And I would play it ALL the time. Back then there was no other Portable that came even close to the pure AWESOMENESS that was the GBA. (Until GBA SP)

PSP:
When PSP was first released in JP I was super excited. I remember reading about it and the Nintendo DS in a Nintendo Power magazine.
About 1 year before they were made available, that information was made available from the first prototypes.
Yes it was really made:
And although the original looked quite awesome. I'm glad they went with the 1k design. Because those buttons would suck.

When the PSP was first hacked there was so much excitement. (Good O'll days)
And when emulators were made available first I was very excited. I found myself playing GBA games on my PSP years after owning a GBA.
And the nostalgia came back and all the fun I had as a kid was all back. I was having way too much fun.
I thought PSP was the best for playing GBA games. I found it most fun because of the perfect screen size.
And the PSP buttons are among my favorite. From any portable. (Still prefer them over the Vita/PSP GO buttons)
Besides having just 1 Analog Stick. PSP has some of the best button layouts.

When Sony announced that PSP would play PS1 games it was quite awesome news.
And when Dark_AleX released his PS1 converter for ripping our own games that was EPIC.
Making the PSP STILL one of the best portables for Emulators and PSP/PS1 games.

PS VITA:
Prototype images: (You can see where SONY MADE the SMART move in ditching the PSP GO form factor)
SONY gave us what we all were asking for in the next PSP successor in the form of PS VITA.
Things people asked for most: (And SONY delivered)
2 Analog Sticks - CHECK
Touch Screen - CHECK

Things that were unexpected:
Touch PAD on the back - WAIT WHAT!?!? that's a new one..
Graphics better then PS2 and the XBOSS - SWEET!

The new games coming out for the VITA are getting better and better.
And by the end of 2015 I bet we will have about 20 AAA titles.
With the added better support of PS VITA with PS4 that unfortunately never happened with PS3. (I bet it was the lack of RAM)
PS VITA will only get better and will age nicely like wine.

And in the near future I can see a native PS VITA exploit made public that will bring even greater emulators and homebrew then that of the PSP.

What are your thoughts on this?
And do you see the VITA and PSP in the same category or both in there own?
Advertising

reprep

Re: PS VITA new Champion or is PSP still the KING of Homebre

Post by reprep » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:07 pm

i just got my vita (about 2 days ago) and all i can say is "Wow, that OLED"

Vita is a great multimedia device as i can see. with the youtube support (even for HD videos) and a video player that supports even 1080p mp4 files without encoding and a large OLED screen, it is now my top video player.

music player and that free tunein app is great too.

also it supports wireless cma entegration which means i can just stream my videos from my pc to vita when i am at home without spending precious MBs on my vita.

i noticed i didn't even begin to speak about games because well there is only one game which gets my attention for now. it is "Persona 4 Golden". i might also be interested in metal gear solid hd collection and NFS most wanted only if i find them cheap. Unfortunately that is all. I tried some demos from psn store, but i liked none of them.

Luckily, i like my psp games (i still use my psp go daily) so ecfw is just great for me. i bought Ben 10 and i am waiting for the files.

So for now i see my vita as a great media player and a PSP emulator. Even that is enough for me for the price of it. Will we see good vita games in the future, like PSP? I hope so.
Advertising

Dark GOD

Post by Dark GOD » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 pm

reprep wrote:i might also be interested in metal gear solid hd collection and NFS most wanted only if i find them cheap.
Will we see good vita games in the future, like PSP? I hope so.
Metal Gear Solid HD is a SOLID game.
And it's $30 for both of the games or you can buy one of the 2 for $15 on PSN.
Didn't buy NFS Most Wanted yet but I'm going to quite soon. At just $20 it's worth it.

And I'm sure we will see some amazing games in the future of PS VITA's life cycle.
PS VITA will probably get same support from SONY for about 10 years like PSP had. (With firmware upgrades and stuff)

eighthdayregret

Post by eighthdayregret » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 am

For right now, I'd say the PSP reigns supreme in homebrew, but that's simply because of the limitations imposed by newer versions of the PSP Emu on the Vita. If we still had the 64 MB of RAM to use, I'd say the Vita is eclipsing the PSP.

But if there ever comes into being a native Vita exploit, the PSP couldn't stand a chance. The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware, and even if we were still only able to use a modified version of the PSP Emu (made more awesome by running an exploit on the Vita side of the PSP Emu, rather than the PSP side, to give us better RAM, speed, compatibility, and sound in PSOne games), it would easily beat out the PSP. We would also probably need a permanent exploit, too, instead of playing cat-and-mouse with Sony.

But for now, the Vita is still a decent contender for the title. Just not quite champion yet.
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3

Hutchy

Post by Hutchy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 am

The vita plays psp isos very well, some homebrews not as good but some are better like daedalus.

I like my psp more because its is a little more stable and plays all the homebrews decently. It could use a little more ram and better processor though.
PSP-3000 lightspeed ME 1.8 && darkspeed pro-c2 6.60
PsVita 32gb 3.01 tn-v7.1
Toshiba satellite A10
One heck of a p4 desktop
If it aint broke, you're not trying.

Dark GOD

Post by Dark GOD » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Yes I agree playing most PSP games on the Vita is a good experience.
The additional joystick really makes some old PSP classics worth playing through again.
Even if many games do look much more pixelated.

AnimusKnight

Post by AnimusKnight » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:26 am

Great post bro! I also agree, my favorite gaming device was none other than the GBA, back when I was a still a kid, and then the SP was most awesome because of the backlight, I no longer needed my little light/magnifier attachment I owned for my GBA. All was right in the world.

I foresee some epic games and memorable titles approaching next year on the Vita, and with all the exploits being made available, I bet it will make the experience 10x better than what I experienced on all other portables.

High hopes for the future!

Merry Christmas.

abdou005

Post by abdou005 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:32 am

Great post my friend :D! I was reading it and feeling that "nostalgy, childhood, good times" in my heart :D!
Lets debate !

Well the psp we see now, how awesome it is. was the fruit of at least 7 years of studies, hacking, programming and gaming. It was sold well. There was no existence of the "smartphones" so people got interested in it as it was the miraculous best portable device its times. it was even having good titles and games <3.

The Ps Vita, 2 years old now, was (marginaled) by Sony. I remember well the adds were not good too much to brings costumers, the number of games is still not so good even after the playstation mobile experience teasing devs to make games..., (it is free). it didn't bring to much at all. i thinkeven that lately people buy the Ps vita because of Ps4 "remote play" .

Also, TN V saved the vita. just Sony has to admit it :). while about thousands of people buys the exploit game for playing homebrews and their PsP games in Ps Vita. what does it mean ? if we were satisfied enough we wouldn't make that choice. for example me, i like read pdf in Tn V a lot more than computer. Want to play some mario games <3. Hackers Listen to me and gives me what i really need <3.

I see lately that lot of hackers got interested in " Native hacking the Vita ".Well, the only active one Yifan lu as we see. But we know That Davee is in the way too, SKFU but i personaly don't believe him :P. PsDev bought yesterday a vita + Ps4 and starting the Study. I believe there also others " working in the shadow " :D.

Wish The Ps vita got hacked very soon. I would love a pdf reader that reads everything without the need of being connected to internet <3

Thank you all of you :D
IMPORTANT! English Speakers follow Koala "ps vita hacker progress" here --> https://www.facebook.com/koalavita
Koala PS Vita 3,01 HAck Video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Ahks9N6lg
Ps Vita 1,81 --> Urbanix EU Exploit TN-V8

CPUzX

Post by CPUzX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 am

abdou005 wrote:Great post my friend :D! I was reading it and feeling that "nostalgy, childhood, good times" in my heart :D!
Lets debate !

Well the psp we see now, how awesome it is. was the fruit of at least 7 years of studies, hacking, programming and gaming. It was sold well. There was no existence of the "smartphones" so people got interested in it as it was the miraculous best portable device its times. it was even having good titles and games <3.

The Ps Vita, 2 years old now, was (marginaled) by Sony. I remember well the adds were not good too much to brings costumers, the number of games is still not so good even after the playstation mobile experience teasing devs to make games..., (it is free). it didn't bring to much at all. i thinkeven that lately people buy the Ps vita because of Ps4 "remote play" .

Also, TN V saved the vita. just Sony has to admit it :). while about thousands of people buys the exploit game for playing homebrews and their PsP games in Ps Vita. what does it mean ? if we were satisfied enough we wouldn't make that choice. for example me, i like read pdf in Tn V a lot more than computer. Want to play some mario games <3. Hackers Listen to me and gives me what i really need <3.

I see lately that lot of hackers got interested in " Native hacking the Vita ".Well, the only active one Yifan lu as we see. But we know That Davee is in the way too, SKFU but i personaly don't believe him :P. PsDev bought yesterday a vita + Ps4 and starting the Study. I believe there also others " working in the shadow " :D.

Wish The Ps vita got hacked very soon. I would love a pdf reader that reads everything without the need of being connected to internet <3

Thank you all of you :D
Very enthusiastic bro, that's a promising futuristic line-up.

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 am

TN-V saved the Vita? you're joking right? I know you like to blind fanboi for TN but come on even you can't be so dense
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Return to “General”