Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

psvits charge port fix/mod micro usb

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
drunkencat

psvits charge port fix/mod micro usb

Post by drunkencat »

here are some pics of the micro usb port I used to replace the broken sony crappy charge port I got to find some good fine wire to wire it up latter on this week I'll keep u guys posted

Advertising
Hutchy

Re: psvits charge port fix/mod micro usb

Post by Hutchy »

That's really cool! Sony is silly for not making it USB in the first place.
Advertising
PSP-3000 lightspeed ME 1.8 && darkspeed pro-c2 6.60
PsVita 32gb 3.01 tn-v7.1
Toshiba satellite A10
One heck of a p4 desktop
If it aint broke, you're not trying.
Gadorach

Post by Gadorach »

Glad to see that my confirmation on it's potential prompted you to try it. It's a great mod, and lets you save those Vitas that would otherwise become garbage. :)

PS, you can solder the last pin to the case ground, even the last two really, but it can cause it to not charge properly while on so I don't recommend it. Just the last one to avoid issues.
PSVita - 1.81+MBA | 1.81+MBA (MiniUSB Modded)
PSP - 1001 Fat (6.60-ME1.8)
Xbox 360 - Trinity RGH Tri-NAND (Dev|Xe|Retail) | Xenon JTAG (Xe) | Falcon RGH1 (Xe)
PS3 - CECH-2101A (CFW 4.60)

Projects - None ATM
mlc

Post by mlc »

And this will function to connect to a PS3 or PC CMA as well? Obviously it can't do anything about the encryption/protocol used, but presumably the Vita's "unique" charge port is just a USB port disguised by an overpriced proprietary cable?
Gadorach

Post by Gadorach »

mlc wrote:And this will function to connect to a PS3 or PC CMA as well? Obviously it can't do anything about the encryption/protocol used, but presumably the Vita's "unique" charge port is just a USB port disguised by an overpriced proprietary cable?
The port acts just as you would expect of a normal PS Vita. Everything works flawlessly, you just need be able to solder to points that can make a grown man want to cry. ;)

And yes, it is just an overpriced connector now. Whether or not they originally planned to have it do other stuff is up in the air currently. It can transfer an audio signal to cradles and the like though, not that anyone needs it for that.
Xbox 360 - Trinity RGH Tri-NAND (Dev|Xe|Retail) | Xenon JTAG (Xe) | Falcon RGH1 (Xe)

Projects - None ATM
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

Where did you solder the usb plug onto the vita?
drunkencat

Post by drunkencat »

Gadorach wrote:Glad to see that my confirmation on it's potential prompted you to try it. It's a great mod, and lets you save those Vitas that would otherwise become garbage. :)

PS, you can solder the last pin to the case ground, even the last two really, but it can cause it to not charge properly while on so I don't recommend it. Just the last one to avoid issues.
one intresting thing i noticed the usb vita side theres 6 wires in the usb 2 stand alone data lines and rest are grounds and power feeds also the cable pins are stagered so it may be able to tell what lines ground first I'm still maping the pins and I'm about to test it out and see my results
drunkencat

Post by drunkencat »

well I got good news wired it up quick to a usb cable and it works
here are some pics

and the skill soldering of the data lines under a micro scope :p

I'm going to wire up a micro usb as I get them in I may need to make supports so it holds strong to cade and board
Gadorach

Post by Gadorach »

For support, I just soldered a tail from a resistor trimming to the farther ground points and bent it to shape, then I soldered the port to it from there. I haven't had any issues from that point. I did also later go back and add two more to connect to the other original ground points and the back of the port, but I doubt it's necessary, really.

Projects - None ATM
Siriusman

Post by Siriusman »

I don't know much about electronics, so you may have to speak slowly, but if I connect the wires to a usb cable as shown, that would be sufficient? I know I'd have the cable sticking out, but I can live with that. What would I do with the extra wire sticking out from the usb cable? Pictures are useful, thanks mate. I'm very surprised you can't seem to buy replacement power ports.

Return to “General”