Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Bugs made a home inside my PSVita

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
darkenvy

Bugs made a home inside my PSVita

Post by darkenvy »

I want to start by saying that I made the post in General. Although I think this post is a unique subject for General. Move if necessary.

Today I went to go play my PSVita and bugs came crawling out of the L trigger! OMG. It was only like 3 of them so I put it down on my table with enough thud to excite the rest. HUNDREDS of tiny brown creatures came scattering out. They look like ants, but are brown like spiders. I don't think they are either, they seem like termites. After further inspection I found a nest of ANTS (clearly ants) right next to where I put my PSVita down for a couple days. I think this might be freshly hatched larvae? They all went back inside the PSVita and I don't know what to do. I want my Vita but I don't want to fry the circuits by spraying chemicals in it. I also don't want dead carcuses in it. So I was thinking: what about spraying the outside with some bug killer, jostling the device so they come out and track on the bug killer coating the outside? Will this do the trick? I want to kill them while they are outside, not inside.

:!: HELP :!:

UPDATE: Disgusting Photos of the Infestation

After the Final Clean :mrgreen:

Advertising
Last edited by darkenvy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSVita 1 : Unboxed → 1.61 → Everybody's Tennis Exploit → 1.81 → Urbanix Exploit
PSVita 2 : 1.813.51 → Rejuvinate & TN-V
PSTV 1 : 3.35 → Whitelist Hack & Rejuvinate
PSTV 2 : Latest FW Always
Minimur12

Re: Bugs made a home inside my PSVita

Post by Minimur12 »

i think its best you take it apart and get the hoover or the mick take route, say theres something wrong with it, send it off and when they open it BOOM ANTS EVERYWHERE! :lol:

im sorry but all i can say is

Advertising
Attachments
ants.png
ants.png (208.74 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Last edited by Minimur12 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not on the forum much, if you want to let me know about something, shoot me a PM!
ImageImage
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

I can't believe that there is enough room inside the beast for insects to live. Maybe try turning our Vita on, give them a little shock or scare them with the heat from the CPU? Although best thing to do would be to take it to Sony ;)

Also, I would recommend getting some sort of case for your Vita. It doesn't have to be Sony's official case, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab's cover which is quite nice for it (it is heavy and strong and thick, so insects couldn't get in too easily.)
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Minimur12

Post by Minimur12 »

when i first saw this, i thought it said 'bugs in home ps vita'
and i was like :O theyve got ps home on vita ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway its better than getting one (or hundreds) stuck inbetween the cover and the screen (imagine that!)
I'm not on the forum much, if you want to let me know about something, shoot me a PM!
ImageImage
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

Baha all of your comments are awesome! I'm going to call Sony now. I am almost 100% sure that they are termites. I found a nest of them eating an empty cardboard box next to it and they only have 4 legs with 2 hands (6 total). I guess there are two types. Some have a white abdomines and those just poke their heads out. The others are small and they go all the way out. I'm guessing they are the soldiers?

My friend told me to put it in the freezer double bagged so I did that. Moisture shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll take it out after 6 hours and see if they are dead. If moisture does kill it it shouldn't trip the Sony moisture sticker I wouldn't imagine. The PSVita is off all the way and I took out my sticks.

Anyone have any good links to PSVita disassembling?

UPDATE: The official word of sony is that anything foreign or alive/dead is of their policy to not repair or replace and simply send it back. I spoke to him off of the record and he did suggest, seeing as more aggressive options become available since my warranty is now void, has recommended that double bagging in the freezer is a great solution. Also recommends against bug spray.
wolframio

Post by wolframio »

I think the best you can do is plug the charger and play ac3 to raise the vita temp... or send it to a service for a internal clean (bug massacre and egg removal)
Minimur12

Post by Minimur12 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVmYBbraNkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbBAg33vlo

if you prefer written tutorials you might prefer this

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStat ... own/7872/1

i skimmed through it, and it has **** loads of those connections
when you down just rewind/ scroll up ;) lol

looks like theres loads of those screws aswell
ImageImage
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Maybe you could do the Freezer thing and then open it up a bit (without removing any components) and shake the corpses out?
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Minimur12

Post by Minimur12 »

I know its unrelated to this, but i saw this online and its awesome, try it out !!
you cut up unwanted earpiece and put it on your vita analogues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0A2RQlWIW4
ImageImage
darkenvy

Post by darkenvy »

wolframio wrote:I think the best you can do is plug the charger and play ac3 to raise the vita temp... or send it to a service for a internal clean (bug massacre and egg removal)
I'm afraid that this may be the reason why they are in there in the first place. I left my vita on standby to get updates and stuff. I was told that these guys like warm places. Also I really don't want to play this thing with them crawling all over XD
Minimur12 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVmYBbraNkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbBAg33vlo

if you prefer written tutorials you might prefer this

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStat ... own/7872/1

i skimmed through it, and it has **** loads of those connections
when you down just rewind/ scroll up ;) lol

looks like theres loads of those screws aswell
Thank you so much for this! I am a writtem tutorial guy and this is exactly what will do the trick :mrgreen:
hgoel0974 wrote:Maybe you could do the Freezer thing and then open it up a bit (without removing any components) and shake the corpses out?
Not a bad idea but I think I'm going to do a deep clean after the deep freeze :lol:

@Minimur12
Very cool

Return to “General”