Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Playstation Mobile, success or failure?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum

Do you think PSM has succeeded?

Yes, it is doing great!
7%
Yes
3%
No, it was better when it was open beta
52%
No, this was a lousy idea from the start
38%

Total votes: 29

hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Playstation Mobile, success or failure?

Post by hgoel0974 »

What do you think? Is Sony's PSM campaign succeeding or was it better in the Open Beta?
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
yifanlu
Guru

Re: Playstation Mobile, success or failure?

Post by yifanlu »

? Isn't it too early to judge? In a year, we'll see what content is on PSM to say if it's a success or not.
Advertising
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

I think PSM is a failed idea from the start. The user base is too small, there is no good incentive for devs to go into this. People who want to target casual gamers should aim at iOS and android which both have dozens of times the user base of the Vita + playstation certified devices. Add to that the stupid limitations from the PSM (no open source, no free software), and you get an idea that was initially great (reduce android fragmentation by having certified devices) turned into a nightmare with a super small userbase.

People who target hardcore gamers will have better luck either with Minis, or by getting an actual real contract with Sony. And people who target casual gamer, as I said above, will crunch the numbers and logically go to iOS and Android.
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
JonathanH

Post by JonathanH »

Somewhat successful for mobile phones, definitely not as good as native apps for the Vita.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Did Sony changed their policy? I just saw a free game on PSM called Bullion Blitz.

PSM still seems like a failure. There was a bit of hype and marketing made by Sony before the launch. Now it seems like Sony has given up on it, I see no marketing at all.
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

yifanlu wrote:? Isn't it too early to judge? In a year, we'll see what content is on PSM to say if it's a success or not.
I agree that it's too early to judge. The psvitas user base is growing and it's name is still being established. There are a ton of huge names signed up to PSM. I assume you didn't see the huge list of devs signed up to make games? A lot of games are still in development. I don't think it's fair to call the vita or psm a failure until after its had it's chance. PSM has only went out of beta until recently. Price is irrelevant too, if you look at the stats of Xbox Live indie games XNA and Apple dev programs $99 is a competitive fee and typical.
I however agree that PSM has its flaws, technical limitations, incentives ect as Wololo said. It's probably turned a lot of devs away like it has for myself. If they were to sign up with someone like Unity or Epics Unreal then I think it would spark something big for indies and big timers.
bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

While the price has something do with it, the main problem is that the PSM is limited. I checked out the forums a few days ago, wondering where all the apps are, plus what was happening with remote desktop. However, all I got was complaints by developers that the PSM was too restrictive to do anything with. That, added with the price makes it tough to make anything with.

In my mind, we got one awesome app (remote desktop) that will never be finished, likely because he gave up on the PSM from frustration.
drkcid

Post by drkcid »

It was a great idea, I mean, imagine something like having homebrew with an official SDK (limited, yes, but avaible for everyone and without need of exploits) or like table/movile store (like google play) with paid and free apps (games). But noooo...
Faltimar

Post by Faltimar »

Its great on paper...I think it needs more time...a year or two, sadly. maybe more?
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

drkcid wrote:It was a great idea, I mean, imagine something like having homebrew with an official SDK (limited, yes, but avaible for everyone and without need of exploits) or like table/movile store (like google play) with paid and free apps (games). But noooo...
Sony doesn't even let dev publish apps on PSM, only games. Sony just wants too much control. They have the final decision on the price, profit margin and when the games will be released. With this kinda policy, you won't be able to port any open source apps, say a video player with extensive codecs or ebook reader, onto the vita.

Return to “General”