Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Playstation Mobile, success or failure?

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum

Do you think PSM has succeeded?

Yes, it is doing great!
7%
Yes
3%
No, it was better when it was open beta
52%
No, this was a lousy idea from the start
38%

Total votes: 29

hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Re: Playstation Mobile, success or failure?

Post by hgoel0974 »

Slacker wrote:
drkcid wrote:It was a great idea, I mean, imagine something like having homebrew with an official SDK (limited, yes, but avaible for everyone and without need of exploits) or like table/movile store (like google play) with paid and free apps (games). But noooo...
Sony doesn't even let dev publish apps on PSM, only games. Sony just wants too much control. They have the final decision on the price, profit margin and when the games will be released. With this kinda policy, you won't be able to port any open source apps, say a video player with extensive codecs or ebook reader, onto the vita.
Agreed, I thought Sony had finally gotten it right, until they officially launched it.

No APPS! @#$%$%^#%@ what the heck is wrong with Sony?
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
celcodioc

Post by celcodioc »

It was better during the open beta. I really like how we got small homebrew apps/games running.
However, the biggest problem was the fact that the processing power was very limited on the PSV. You have to optimize your code to death to get good speeds. IIRC PSP homebrew achieved 3 times better results than the PSM runtime on the Vita.
Advertising
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

So far PSM is a HUGE failure, in order to run on the worst possible hardware they've crippled everything, and on top of that it's incomplete.

So even though Vita has 512MBs of ram the PSM limits you to just 96MBs. Then to make things worse they're missing a feature called texture compression, which everything has (even my ancient Windows Phone 7). Without texture compression, every 512x512 pixel frame in an animation takes up 4MBs of ram on a Vita.

So my game which runs great on Xbox 360 (at 1080p), and Windows Phone (at 800x480), won't even fully load on Vita before it's out of memory. The only way to do it is to shrink everything down to half the original size or less, which makes everything look blurry and awful.

Return to “General”