Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Ultimate [GUIDE] to High Capacity Pro Duo Memory Sticks

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
bengalih

Ultimate [GUIDE] to High Capacity Pro Duo Memory Sticks

Post by bengalih »

User Submitted Database

I hope to maintain here a list of cards that users have tested working so that others can benefit from their experience.
If you have a working combination, please submit a post with the following format:
(please feel free to cut and paste/quote this post to preserve formatting)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User Database Submission

PSP Model - e.g. PSP-1001
Firmware - e.g. CFW 6.61 ME 2.3
MicroSD card #1 Make/Model/Size - e.g. SanDisk 64 GB Class 10 - SDSQUSC64GAWCIA
MicroSD card #2 Make/Model/Size - e.g. SanDisk 64 GB Class 10 - SDSQUSC64GAWCIA
ProDuo Adapter Description - use the taxonomy discussed above and/or provide a photo. e.g. #5 but with rounded card inserts, etc.
ProDuo Adapter Retailer - e.g. eBay/Amazon. Please also include the specific seller's name and/or link to the product.
ProDuo Adapter Purchase Date - if known
Speed Test Results - e.g. ~ 13 MiB/s
Speed Test Used - blackSPEED v.2/PSXReality's MStick Tester

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my example submission.
Advertising
Last edited by bengalih on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bengalih

Re: Ultimate [GUIDE] to High Capacity Pro Duo Memory Sticks

Post by bengalih »

reserved
Advertising
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

User Database Submission

PSP Model - PSP-1001
Firmware - CFW 6.61 ME 2.3
MicroSD card #1 Make/Model/Size - SanDisk 200GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I/Class 10 (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A)
MicroSD card #2 Make/Model/Size - none
ProDuo Adapter Description - #5
ProDuo Adapter Retailer - ebay. Seller unknown (sorry I ordered many around the same time and didn't keep track)
ProDuo Adapter Purchase Date - between January and February 2017
Speed Test Results - e.g. ~ 13 MiB/s
Speed Test Used - blackSPEED v.2
Hawkuro

Post by Hawkuro »

User Database Submission

PSP Model - PSP N1004 (PSP Go)
Firmware - CFW 6.61 PRO-C2
MicroSD card #1 Make/Model/Size - SanDisk Ultra 200 GB Class 10 U1 - SDSQUAR-200G-GN6MA
MicroSD card #2 Make/Model/Size - SanDisk Ultra 200 GB Class 10 U1 - SDSQUAR-200G-GN6MA
ProDuo Adapter Description - #5
ProDuo Adapter Retailer - Aliexpress
ProDuo Adapter Purchase Date - 2018-03-05
M2 to ProDuo Adapter - https://twitter.com/kouchan66/status/940916600533786624
Speed Test Results - N/A
Speed Test Used - N/A
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Anyone tried 2*400 Gb?

I have a working system with 2*200 Gb, but would like to upgrade to 2*400 Gb.
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

rsn8887 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm Anyone tried 2*400 Gb?

I have a working system with 2*200 Gb, but would like to upgrade to 2*400 Gb.
As long as the CFW supports it there should be no reason it doesn't. I doubt you will find a lot of confirmation as not many people will be investing $300+ into their PSPs at this point to put in 2 x 400GB cards.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

I only have one 400 Gb card. With the help of Reddit users, I did some more tests.

I can get 528 Gb (400 + 128) to work. The reported free space is 485 Gb. This is already quite an improvement compared to my previous 2*200 Gb (free space 370 Gb).

However I cannot get 600 Gb (400 + 200) to work.

In Adrenaline on the Vita, the max free space that can be displayed is 500 Gb. I wonder if this is some practical limitation also on a real PSP. My tests seem to indicate that it might be true and the max free space is 500 Gb.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

User Database Submission

PSP Model - PSP-3000
Firmware - 6.60 PRO-C-Fix 3
MicroSD card #1 Make/Model/Size - SanDisk 400GB microSDXC UHS1 SDSQUAR-400G-GN6MA
MicroSD card #2 Make/Model/Size - SanDisk 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card, Black SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA
ProDuo Adapter Description - #6
ProDuo Adapter Retailer - Amazon TOPRAM TR-5400 microSD/microSDHC to Memory Stick Pro Duo Adapter MSPD (dual slot) ASIN: B003CN79LU
ProDuo Adapter Purchase Date - August 20, 2013
Speed Test Results - ~10 MB/s write speed
Speed Test Used - Average reported write speed in Syncback Pro when copying over my 400 GB of data

NOTES:
Initial formatting inside the PSP gave "Format Error". But the free space of 485 GB (!) was shown correctly afterwards. Since I got a format failed inside the PSP, I connected the PSP to my Windows 10 PC. The drive was detected with 485 GB free. I formatted it again to FAT32, using "guiformat.exe" with 64 Kb clusters and empty name. It seems to work just fine.

I also tried 400 GB + 200 GB but I always got the "Memory Stick not found" error during format. I suspect the maximum possible free space after formatting can not be higher than ~500 Gb.
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

rsn8887 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:27 pm I also tried 400 GB + 200 GB but I always got the "Memory Stick not found" error during format. I suspect the maximum possible free space after formatting can not be higher than ~500 Gb.
It is likely the issue is in the adapter above anything else. The CFW is *supposed* to address up to 2TB, but I doubt even the devs had the hardware at the time to test that. Unless you could find them on a board somewhere, I'm not sure how you could get more confirmation.

It looks like you purchased your adapter 5 years ago. While it is possible there have been no changes from that time you might try to get your hand on some other adapters. Once again, I doubt any of the sellers will confirm anything above 128GB or so.

The only other thing I can suggest (and something I stopped short of) is purchasing a pro duo reader for your PC. If you can get your PC to recognize it then it is likely the CFW. If you cant get your PC to read it, it is likely the adapter.

I think it is unlikely at this point in the PSP lifecycle we are going to see any newer adpaters avalable. It is possible though if new stock is being produced they might use newer memory controllers, but this is just an idea. Good luck and please add any more relevant info you find.
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion »

Has anyone in the UK managed to source an adapter that works with cards larger than 128gb.

I've tried 10 different ones now, NONE of them work over 128GB :(

(I've confirmed cards are all ok, stress tested them, and also confirmed it's the adapter buy checking them in a USB card reader which can handle far more than 128GB - so the problem is the adaptors I'm getting)

Return to “General”