Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Ultimate [GUIDE] to High Capacity Pro Duo Memory Sticks

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
bengalih

Re: Ultimate [GUIDE] to High Capacity Pro Duo Memory Sticks

Post by bengalih »

What specifically isn't working about them?

Don't you guys have eBay in UK? I can't believe that the asian sellers don't ship to UK as well ?
Advertising
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

I just bought one:
Ebest White Dual Slot PSP Memory Stick Pro Duo Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E ... UTF8&psc=1
Advertising
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion »

bengalih wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:15 pm What specifically isn't working about them?

Don't you guys have eBay in UK? I can't believe that the asian sellers don't ship to UK as well ?
Of course we do, perhaps I didn't need to specifically say in the UK - because I have tried ones from AliExpress,

They all refuse to recognise over 128GB no matter how I try to format them.

If I format the card as normal, it will show on my COMPUTER as 256GB,

-> The PSP can't format it, it thinks about it, then it says there's no memory stick inserted.
-> If I try PSP via USB, it shows up, and formats, but only registers 128GB.
-> If I use a multiple card reader that supports pro duo (so mem card > pro duo adapter > card reader > usb port), it again only shows 128GB on my COMPUTER (which why I'm certain it's an adapter issue)

So yeah, sure, send me AliExpress links too. I guess I stated UK because giving amazon.com or ebay.com links is pointless as it'd cost me silly money to have delivered. AliExpress links are great, however the one provided by Hawkuro is no longer available.
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Make sure you erase your cards before trying a new adapter, using the official sd card formatter tool for windows. Then re-format inside psp using the psp’s formatting option. I had problems once where the PSP failed to format a card, and then it wouldn’t format or show the right size again until I used the official sd card formatter to re-format it.
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion »

rsn8887 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:25 pm Make sure you erase your cards before trying a new adapter, using the official sd card formatter tool for windows. Then re-format inside psp using the psp’s formatting option. I had problems once where the PSP failed to format a card, and then it wouldn’t format or show the right size again until I used the official sd card formatter to re-format it.
I've tried it for both Mac and Windows (Via VM since I'm a mac user) - no go
belux

Post by belux »

Dear all,
I'm resuming this topic hoping someone could be able to help me with my issue.
I've resumed after 10 years my PSP 2000, CFW 6.60 PRO-C2 and I would like to expand the capacity of the memory stick.
Ten years ago I sorted my games using more than 10 dual slot adapter without any issues up to 100GB (64GB+32GB).
Nowadays the size of a micro sd has increased while the price has become more accesible, so I've decided to re-organize my collection reducing the amount of memory sticks using high capacity ones.

Why do it? .... Why not?
On youtube people were able to create a 512GB of storage...
Yes, it will require more time to load the content, I don't care...
and yes, I'm not a noob, I followed the guide of the topic and yet I was not able to overcome the 128GB limit, even if I'm on a CFW.

What I've used:
- 1x micro sd 256GB sandisk ultra (half red half grey)
- 2x micro sd 128GB sandisk ultra (half red half grey)
I won't buy any more micro sd until I find a way of using them, even if they are cheap I cannot buy them without a logic, it would be a waste of money
- 10x dual slot adapter ten years old (mixed photofast CR5400 and not, amazon)
- 2x new (2022) dual slot adapter (no photofast, amazon)
- 1x new single slot adapter (amazon)
I bought 2 dual slot adapter in 2022 to verify if the old ones were the problem
- 2x pro duo USB adapter for PC (one old ten years, one bought in 2022)

What I've obtained so far: OK for 128GB
- 128 GB + one slot adapter: WORKS
- a single 128GB into the dual slot adapter: WORKS (the other slot is empty)
in both cases I formatted the stiks with the PSP

What I cannot do:
- overcome the 128GB limit

What I've experienced:
- I cannot format a memory stick larger of 128GB with the PSP
- if i connect the PSP through the USB connection to the PC, the maximum size of the memory stick which is recognized is always 128GB even if the memory mount the 256GB module or the 128GBx2. If I use windows manage disks, or guiformat, or windows diskpsrt, or AOMEI partition assistant or any other tool/software, the size showed is always 128GB, like if the PSP acts like a filter and reduce the total amount of space

- if I connect the dual slot adapter (mounting 2x128GB) directly to the PC with an USB adapter, again the maximum recognized capacity is 128GB
- if I connect the dual slot adapter (slot1:128GB, slot2:256GB) directly to the PC with an USB adapter, again the maximum recognized capacity is 128GB
- if I connect the dual slot adapter (slot1:256GB, slot2:128GB) directly to the PC with an USB adapter, again the maximum recognized capacity is 256GB
so only the first slot seems to work for every dual slot adapter I tried (12 in total!)

and finally here come the crazyness I found which is not in the guide, maybe it can give you an hint
- I was able to format in fat32 the 256GB stick by means of a micro sd USB adaptor for PC
- I manually copied the folders structure of a memory stick created by the PSP, including the hidden files
- I inserted the 256GB stick using the single slot adapter and the total space was finally recognized by the PSP
- also connecting the PSP to the PC with the USB cale was showing the right size
so I thought to have resolved all my problems, until:

- I connected again the memory stick to the PC to transfer some games form PC to memory (about 50GB, call it set1)
- everything worked fine, I inserted again the stick in the PSP and every game was recognized and functioning
- i removed again the stick, connected it to the pc and transfered other 50GB, call it set2, so the total occupied space was about 100GB
- I tried again the stick in the PSP and surprise: the new set2 of games were not recognized and were listed as corrupted files (originally the games were already tested and functioning), so what happened?
- I connected the PSP through the USB cable to the PC and when I tried to navigate inside the folders of the games everything was fine for set 1, while clicking on the folders of set2 gave an error accesing the folders like they were effectively corrupted (connecting the micro sd to the PC showed they were functioning normally).

So I formatted again the micro sd through the PC, inserted in the PSP, and connected the PSP to the PC with the USB cable and tried again the transfer of file directly into the PSP:
- I copied the first 50GB, set1 and everything was fine
- when I try to copy the other 50GB set2, or ever a homebreew of few megabyte (900Kb) I cannot do it and I receive always the error message:
"the file NOMEFILE is too large for the destination file system"
like the memory stick became a closed box wich cannot be modified anymore.

Ok, any suggestions or explanation which come to your mind?
Many thanks
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

belux wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:27 pm Dear all,
I'm resuming this topic hoping someone could be able to help me with my issue.

I'm the OP. Haven't revisited this since I posted it 4 years ago. I haven't read through all your post, have you read through all mine? All i can say is that not all adapters are created equal and my guess is it is harder too find good ones now because demand is down.

Taking everything I tested and posted in my guide along with your tasks, what specifically is the issue that you can't get past?
belux

Post by belux »

Hi Bengalih,
I was not sure to get a reply after 4 years of inactivity, thanks anyway.
Yes I read all your guide very carefully (and also other guides on other forums). I've been trying for two weeks to get some results, and yes I understand that seems very hard to find a good dual slot adapter.
I will summarize what can I get so far and what I cannot get so far:

YES
- format up to 128GB with PSP (both single slot or dual slot adapter)
- format >128GB through PC, only single slot adapter
NO
- format >128GB with PSP (both single slot or dual slot adapter)
- format dual slot adapter through PC, only the first slot is recognized

PSP working configuration (sort of...)
- formatted single micro sd 256GB through PC
- copied manually PSP folder structure (hidden files included)
- PSP recognizes the memory stick when inserted. The correct space is allocated, 256GB
- transfer of files (games) from PC to PSP via USB cable, total size 50GB
- everything works fine, free space 200GB
PROBLEM SHOWED
- when I try a new transfer of file I get the following error:
"the file NOMEFILE is too large for the destination file system"
The error occurs for any new file, regardless its size (also 900kb is not working)

If you have 5 minutes to spare, I invite you to read my entire post, it is better explained, in particular the last issue.
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

I've got a lot of.questions.
PM me with some sort of chat you are on (reddit, telegram, discord, etc.). Let's work through it there if we can.

Return to “General”