Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Any last hope for this innovative handheld?

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
MotoLegacy

Any last hope for this innovative handheld?

Post by MotoLegacy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 am

I admit it, I still own and seriously enjoy my PlayStation Portable. But, why don't others?

The PSP was revolutionary, and it still really is. Nintendo's 3DS can only compete because of its 3D capabilities. The PSP dominates it graphics wise.

How come people haven't made innovative and just plain cool custom firmware? Something that is completely different from the PSP's stock firmware, but still gives the same vibe of the original, that's what I want to see.

I wish the community wasn't dead yet. There's so much that could've been done.

Is there anybody left that shares my opinion/thoughts?
Advertising

ali_ihsan21

Re: Any last hope for this innovative handheld?

Post by ali_ihsan21 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:55 am

MotoLegacy wrote:I admit it, I still own and seriously enjoy my PlayStation Portable. But, why don't others?

The PSP was revolutionary, and it still really is. Nintendo's 3DS can only compete because of its 3D capabilities. The PSP dominates it graphics wise.

How come people haven't made innovative and just plain cool custom firmware? Something that is completely different from the PSP's stock firmware, but still gives the same vibe of the original, that's what I want to see.

I don't understand what you really need, as long as a cfw runs your homebrews and backups what else can someone expect ? It plays music, view images internet and video capabilities are very limited because of the hardware but after all what's the point of crawling to view a Web site from PSP ?

Even a crappy Android mobile can do much better.

My only problem with my PSP go is its limited storage capacity.
Advertising
PSP-1000 6.20 16 GB Pro C-2
PSP-go 6.20 32 GB LME 2.3 White
PSP-go 6.60 24 GB Pro C-2 / LME 2.3 Black
PS Vita Slim 8 GB 3.60 Henkaku
PS TV 3.60 Henkaku 1 TB Samsung Story
Thank you RepRep, Total_Noob, Suloku, Omega2058, TheFlow

MotoLegacy

Post by MotoLegacy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:55 pm

ali_ihsan21 wrote:
MotoLegacy wrote:I admit it, I still own and seriously enjoy my PlayStation Portable. But, why don't others?

I don't understand what you really need, as long as a cfw runs your homebrews and backups what else can someone expect ? It plays music, view images internet and video capabilities are very limited because of the hardware but after all what's the point of crawling to view a Web site from PSP ?

But why don't people do the things they do to Android to the PSP? I want something useful, not a Cyanogenmod XMB.

Maybe a cfw that comes with some useful tools pre-installed?

Something for developers?

Or maybe something that's just plain fun for people like me: a UNIX terminal emulator.

Maybe clone a popular game like Diep io or Goat Simulator..

ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 pm

MotoLegacy wrote:
ali_ihsan21 wrote:

But why don't people do the things they do to Android to the PSP? I want something useful, not a Cyanogenmod XMB.

Maybe a cfw that comes with some useful tools pre-installed?

Something for developers?

Or maybe something that's just plain fun for people like me: a UNIX terminal emulator.

Maybe clone a popular game like Diep io or Goat Simulator..
I'm looking forward to an Undertale recoding for PSP with the support of its maker and I promise I would pay for it just to have new and better Indie games.

Something at OS level development is very difficult cause developers don't have the codes of the hardware only after reverse engineering that's possible afaik.

And consoles are like pop music if today Sony releases Playstation 4,5 PS4 loses most of its popularity right away.

Video games are mostly kids area of interest and as always kids WANT the one with more specs :D

MotoLegacy

Post by MotoLegacy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:00 am

ali_ihsan21 wrote:
Something at OS level development is very difficult cause developers don't have the codes of the hardware only after reverse engineering that's possible afaik.
If I had the time I would reverse engineer the PSP's OFW and develop my own CFW, but I don't.

I would find time if I could find people willing to help, but the community is dead, and it will most likely stay dead.

Swallagoon

Post by Swallagoon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Nintendo's 3DS can only compete because of its 3D capabilities. The PSP dominates it graphics wise.
The 3DS is actually more powerful and pushes more stable framerates at a higher resolution. Resident Evil Revelations, Monster Hunter and MGS look much better on the 3DS than anything the PSP could do (MH has depth of field shaders, better bloom, anti-aliasing, real time shadows and so on). The PSP still looks alright for a handheld but the 3DS has more sophisticated shaders and generally looks better overall.

I still use my PSP every month for emulation and the odd RPG. It's a great system and has effectively replaced my real PS1 just for the ease of use and portability. I've got over 60 PS1 games on my memory sticks. Decided to get a 3000 for the better screen but my original phat from 2004 is still in almost perfect condition, literally. No scratches AT ALL!

lusid

Post by lusid » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:32 am

Its still a great handheld. The game library is massive on its own, and emulating almost all of the 20th century console platforms is a nice bonus. Maintaining the PSP over time will be a problem but things aren't so bad a the moment. Spare parts are still available, even if they are china grade. Batteries are a problem though. My last surviving OEM slim battery only has 152 cycles on the counter but its getting pretty old for a LiPo.

ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:59 am

lusid wrote:Its still a great handheld. The game library is massive on its own, and emulating almost all of the 20th century console platforms is a nice bonus. Maintaining the PSP over time will be a problem but things aren't so bad a the moment. Spare parts are still available, even if they are china grade. Batteries are a problem though. My last surviving OEM slim battery only has 152 cycles on the counter but its getting pretty old for a LiPo.
I always use external battery although there are stores which make new battery using the old battery's circuit and plus I have an extra PSP go battery.

The chance of frying the mainboard scaring me.

Darth Agnon

Post by Darth Agnon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:01 pm

How do you tell how many cycles a PSP battery has been through? Curious...

Darth Agnon
Planeswalker and Monster Hunter
Like Wagic? Check out my custom themes, etc. at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44148
Wololo's article: http://wololo.net/2016/07/14/new-wagic- ... rth-agnon/

lusid

Post by lusid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Good question. Its stored in the EEPROM at offset 0x22. The eeprom seems to be updated at full charge and full discharge, but the real value lives in ram. The eeprom value gets overwriten on the next cycle unless you disconnect the cell after updating it.

Return to “General”