Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Is my PSP a done case?

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
ASKidwai

Is my PSP a done case?

Post by ASKidwai »

Dear all,

It has certainly been a while since I last posted on this site, or even visited /talk. :oops: I come now for help.

My PSP-2004 from 2008 has been through a lot, including a few drops from two to three feet (no external damage) and a screen change. More recently, I managed to somehow break the tab which keeps in place the backlight (blue ribbon). While I had managed to fix it by firmly inserting it and compressing it with some paper, the PSP dies rather randomly.

At times, the screen will gradually fade out, but only if undue pressure is exerted on the face-plate. More saddeningly, it does not wish to turn on. If it is kept off for a few days, it will turn on and will load the XMB but dies as soon as an application is launched. It will then refuse to boot up for several hours, and then the same process detailed above will be repeated. There is nothing wrong with the memory card or the firmware. I've reinstalled 5.00 M33-6 in case that was causing the problem, but apparently it is something else. No, it is not the backlight ribbon. That is firmly affixed.

I understand that the PSP is now obsolescent, but I would like to eke some more life out of it.

With warm regards.
Advertising
qwikrazor87
Guru

Re: Is my PSP a done case?

Post by qwikrazor87 »

ASKidwai wrote:I understand that the PSP is now obsolescent, but I would like to eke some more life out of it.
:o No it isn't, at least not for me.

Have you checked for bad blocks?
Advertising
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

It is pretty much dying out though.

I'm not quite sure what bad blocks are, but the PSP had been running the same firmware for more than two years straight. I've even re-tried re-flashing the NAND I dumped with Hellcat's flasher.
Alpmaster

Post by Alpmaster »

ASKidwai wrote:It is pretty much dying out though.

I'm not quite sure what bad blocks are, but the PSP had been running the same firmware for more than two years straight. I've even re-tried re-flashing the NAND I dumped with Hellcat's flasher.
Buy another PSP they are affordable now
Game On!
b2p1mp

Post by b2p1mp »

Is that PSP able to use a Pandora battery? A nifty trick I learned is using DDCv8 and the Test M33 option. This might help you figure out the problem. Also a pandora battery is excellent for testing if a PSP will power up or not. If it is just a broken power switch, using the pandora battery will turn on the PSP (this info could be useful.)
Twenty Minutes Into the Future
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

Thanks. Will try using the Test M33 option.

As I said earlier, I don't really use it much, so I'm not willing to spend around £50 for another one. It'd be great to salvage some more life out of it.
b2p1mp

Post by b2p1mp »

ASKidwai wrote:Thanks. Will try using the Test M33 option.

As I said earlier, I don't really use it much, so I'm not willing to spend around £50 for another one. It'd be great to salvage some more life out of it.
In my opinion, 50 bucks for a PSP is a bargain considering what it can do. I always hate to see a PSP die though. I have one PSP1000 that I pieced together from 3 free broken ones to make 1 working FrankenPSP. It does not have an analog stick so I disable analog in the recovery menu and play games where the D-pad is the same as the analog (tekken 6, Ys ark, emulators.) I still use that busted PSP quite often since it can do at least some things. Goodluck.
Twenty Minutes Into the Future
mtb

Post by mtb »

This same thing happened to my little brothers psp which was 2000. He never had cfw once thats because he didn't know how. The screen would fade out if he moved fast with the psp. It got to a point that if you moved your hands slightly it would fade out. One day it faded out and never got cut back on. It definitely a hardware issue.
"I do like god, its just as stable as pro. I have ran it on every psp without issue." -****
ASKidwai

Post by ASKidwai »

Yeah,that seems to be the issue with mine as well. Poor guy must be knackered after all the years of service it put in (2008-2014).

Return to “General”