Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

ISO Drivers

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Synthic

ISO Drivers

Post by Synthic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 am

Could someone explain to me where the different ISO drivers originated and how they differ?

I'm not sure if the following is correct, but from the information I could gather the Sony NP9660 driver is the official driver used to load all UMDs, while the M33 driver is an unofficial one. This does not make sense to me though, because you need a file from the official 5.00 firmware to use the M33 driver with Prometheus. Additionally, the OpenIdea loader uses M33 as the default driver, and the readme claims that it is "better" than the NP9660 one.

I'm just curious about where these drivers came from. As in who coded them, or who ripped them and from where, etc. And also what makes them different or better than one another, and why you need 5.00_isofs.prx to use the M33 driver in Prometheus (when you don't need it for the same driver in OpenIdea).
Advertising

m0skit0
Guru

Re: ISO Drivers

Post by m0skit0 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:26 am

ISO 9660 is a standard file system for optical devices. It's used for all optical devices I know about (CDs, DVDs, UMDs...) but it can be used on any device type besides optical. So the driver is open source and available everywhere, as well as the technical specifications. So AFAIK NP9660 is the ISO 9660 driver included on the OFW, while the M33 driver is a hacked NP9660 (I'm not sure what's hacked on it, maybe CSO support?).
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"

Synthic

Re: ISO Drivers

Post by Synthic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 am

m0skit0 wrote:ISO 9660 is a standard file system for optical devices. It's used for all optical devices I know about (CDs, DVDs, UMDs...) but it can be used on any device type besides optical. So the driver is open source and available everywhere, as well as the technical specifications. So AFAIK NP9660 is the ISO 9660 driver included on the OFW, while the M33 driver is a hacked NP9660 (I'm not sure what's hacked on it, maybe CSO support?).
Alright. I am familiar with ISO 9660 already, I just didn't make the connection I guess. :lol:

Return to “General”