Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

HOW TO: Speed Up Memory Stick

Everything that is PSP-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
moz

Re: HOW TO: Speed Up Memory Stick

Post by moz »

KaInEvIL wrote: Speed up MS causes frame skipping ( most noticeable on high end graphical games such as Final Fantasy Type 0 ). Demo on official 6.60 firmware doesn't have frameskipping and looks smoother as it should be. I think the ms speedup is just a bogus feature. Iso cache causes weird and unstable loading issues. I always disable them, i've never seen any improvement by using those features. Maybe that's the limit of the CFW and people just take it as normal performance. :?:

Sorry, but I think is not a simple solution like just deleting some folders. :|

And i think the FAT16 format only works with 4/8 gb ms.
speed up ms works, and it works the best on 6.60 LME / ME
deleting unused files and folders kinda work,
but to me it works the best to make a fake psp memory stick on your desktop, just a simple folder, fill it with only the datas you're going to use, and then copy it to your just formatted psp memory... so all the files will be not fragmented.

never defrag stuff like usb pen dirve, memory cards or solid state disk, your just shortening their lives

and yes, the FAT 16 trick work only for 4gb memory if i remember correctly
Advertising
I'm on the scene from day one. I don't support piracy, homebrews are better
neur0n is awesome. way better than sony devs!
codestation plugins are the best!
http://neur0npsp.altervista.org ← ALL neur0n's releases!
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

moz wrote:but to me it works the best to make a fake psp memory stick on your desktop, just a simple folder, fill it with only the datas you're going to use, and then copy it to your just formatted psp memory... so all the files will be not fragmented.
that's basically what dirfix does
Advertising
thealgorithm

Post by thealgorithm »

What is advised is the following...

Compare ISO file size with CSO. If compressibility is less then 30% then leave it as an ISO.

Reason for this is that cpu is required to decompress the CSO. If the compression gain overall is higher, then the reading of less data (which will be decompressed to a larger amount) will offset the processing time required for decompression.
Setting CPU to 333mhz will help in this (for example GTA Liberty City stories). If there is a method of only compressing select area's of the ISO (not the video and audio which may be compressed already), this may also help

UMD transfer rate is at around 11mbs max (which equates to around 1.3 megabytes per second). I believe even the cheapest of memory sticks can achieve this transfer rate anyhow when loading from Mem stick.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

Writing speed is useful for PSP Filer. Sometimes you might not want to turn on your PC just to fix a small thing. I can tell that Filer is slow in moving & copying, & even if all of the things that speed up the MS are applied, nothing speeds up Filer that much.
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

moz wrote:
KaInEvIL wrote: Speed up MS causes frame skipping ( most noticeable on high end graphical games such as Final Fantasy Type 0 ). Demo on official 6.60 firmware doesn't have frameskipping and looks smoother as it should be. I think the ms speedup is just a bogus feature. Iso cache causes weird and unstable loading issues. I always disable them, i've never seen any improvement by using those features. Maybe that's the limit of the CFW and people just take it as normal performance. :?:

Sorry, but I think is not a simple solution like just deleting some folders. :|

And i think the FAT16 format only works with 4/8 gb ms.
speed up ms works, and it works the best on 6.60 LME / ME
deleting unused files and folders kinda work,
but to me it works the best to make a fake psp memory stick on your desktop, just a simple folder, fill it with only the datas you're going to use, and then copy it to your just formatted psp memory... so all the files will be not fragmented.

never defrag stuff like usb pen dirve, memory cards or solid state disk, your just shortening their lives

and yes, the FAT 16 trick work only for 4gb memory if i remember correctly
Cheers for the video. I wanted proof of concept, as I'd never really bothered fiddling with this until lately.
hulkfan
Banned

Post by hulkfan »

Effective and useful tip....
Jariel

Post by Jariel »

Didn't know that a memory stick could be optimized, some good information here. Will try soon & thanks :)
ps3vaita

Post by ps3vaita »

thx Acid_Snake
Casavult

Post by Casavult »

I recently bought this and it runs even faster than my 8GB Sony Pro-HG Duo HX. Don't worry though, I didn't pay £130 for it (no way am I paying that), I paid less than £40 for and it's real. ;)

Out of 32GB, I only have 2600mb (2.6gb roughly) left lol.
• PS4Pro 2TB OFW • PS3 3k 1TB OFW • PS3 Slim 2k 500GB 4.84.2 DEX Rebug • PS3 Slim 2k 250GB 4.84.2 CEX Rebug •
• PSV 1k 32GB 3.60 HENkaku • 3x PSP 2k (TA-085v1) 128GB 6.60 ME-2.3 • PSP 2k (TA-085v2) 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3 •
keyz16b

Post by keyz16b »

cool!... thanks for this.

Return to “General”