Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Adventure Game Studio runtime engine port (3.21 R9)

Most of the homebrews discussed in this forum can be downloaded here
JJS
Big Beholder

Adventure Game Studio runtime engine port (3.21 R9)

Post by JJS »

Do you like classic adventure gaming? Yes? Good, because a whole bunch of indie adventure games are now available for play on the PSP! :shock:

If you are a fan of adventures, you might have come across games made with Adventure Game Studio by Chris Jones. Recently the source code of AGS became open source and this is the first port to a non-PC platform.

This port can run games made with AGS 2.50 and higher at the moment. This includes commercial titles like Gemini Rue (demo download) and freeware titles like a King's Quest III remake. Check out The McCarthy Chronicles, The Journey Down, most of Ben304's games (which are all beautifully done) and the Technobabylon series too. Also the Chzo Mythos games by Yahtzee and the Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator series. A restriction is that only low-resolution games are supported due to the display resolution of the PSP.

A PSP 2000/3000 or Go is required for most games because of the additional available memory. The engine will start on a 1000, but most probably crashes later on because it runs out of memory. Because of this (and since the launcher uses kernel mode), signing the eboot and running on OFW is not recommended.

To run a game, simply copy it into a subfolder of the PSP game. The game data files will then be autodetected and the game is displayed in the launcher menu. If the game was made with a version of AGS that is not supported by the engine, it will display that in the menu too.

For more information, please consult the readme file that is included in the download!

Binaries can be downloaded from my website:
http://jjs.at/software/ags.html

The latest binaries can be found on my daily build directory:
http://jjs.at/daily/

Source code is available on Gitorious:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio

To find games, check the Completed Game Announcements subforum on the AGS forum. Or visit the official game database.
Advertising
rainof89

Re: Adventure Game Studio runtime engine port

Post by rainof89 »

Great find. I love indie games. I hope compatibility increases over time. A next 'must have' homebrew :mrgreen:

EDIT: Wait, you ported it !!! Thanks a lot jjs
Advertising
waratte

Post by waratte »

Thanks JJS! I too enjoy indie games. :)
TiPi
Retired Mod

Post by TiPi »

Nice work! :D
Problems or questions? Feel free to contact me.
-My Blog-
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

Thanks all!
rainof89 wrote:I hope compatibility increases over time.
It will. The problem is that only the current version of the engine is open source at the moment and it is not fully backwards compatible. It is possible to enable 3.x game support in it, but sound doesn't work because the audio system changed with the 3.2 release.

The port is structured in a way that the engine is in an external PRX. This means the launcher/menu can seamlessly load the correct engine for a game once it is open sourced and ported.
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

Hopefully this helps...

Got it while trying to play King's Quest 1 Remake by AGD Interactive. I could test more games if you like.
Attachments
exception.rar
(386 Bytes) Downloaded 491 times
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

Thanks a lot, thebudds. I think I know the reason for the exception. To improve the decoding speed I replaced libvorbis with libtremor, but forgot to update the apeg library. The intro movie to KQI contains obviously an OGG sound track and apeg crashes when it tries to interpret an array of ints as floats. I will take care of that.

As for testing, just try whatever you want to run. I have nothing specific in mind. KQI was a game I hadn't tested because I assumed that it was written with an older engine.
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

JJS wrote:Thanks a lot, thebudds. I think I know the reason for the exception. To improve the decoding speed I replaced libvorbis with libtremor, but forgot to update the apeg library. The intro movie to KQI contains obviously an OGG sound track and apeg crashes when it tries to interpret an array of ints as floats. I will take care of that.

As for testing, just try whatever you want to run. I have nothing specific in mind. KQI was a game I hadn't tested because I assumed that it was written with an older engine.

Sounds good and no problem :D These games hold a special place in my gaming heart, I would love to see where this will lead.
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

Uploaded a fixed version, which is available on the same URL. It now plays the King's Quest I and Quest for Glory II remakes without crashing. There is some stuttering in the opening movie though. Can't help that at the moment.

Edit: I still get some random crashing that looks like a memory allocation problem in QFGII. :?
Edit 2: Yes, the game runs out of memory. :(
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

Here's two more from the old build...I'm going to try the new one right now.

The one for Kq2 crashes in the same place as part 1, but checking out the exception shows it's different than kq1 I put up.

Kq3 loads the game...but when you select AGS from the menu in-game. You get the crash I attached here.

All of them are from AGD.
Attachments
kq3exception.rar
(393 Bytes) Downloaded 482 times
kq2exception.rar
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 495 times

Return to “Homebrews”