Tyrian is a classic DOS shoot-em-up which had the good fortune to be re-released under the GPL, and later ported to the PSP by deniska.
My objective here is to enhance deniska's original port to make it feel more like a PSP native game, as well as clean up various bugs and perhaps add new features.
The changes from deniska's original port thus far:
Beta 1 Download
- Major sound quality improvements.
- Replaced generic button names with PSP button names in Joystick Options.
- Removed the do-nothing mouse cursor from various screens.
- Added a Special Modes menu to the main menu for activating Super Arcade and SuperTyrian without a keyboard.
- Removed two-player modes from new game screen, as they are beyond the scope of this project.
- All difficulties are selectable by default to compensate for lack of a keyboard to enter their unlock codes.
Beta 2 Download
- Episode 3 ending animation now plays. If you are upgrading from a previous version, you will need to copy the 'ending' subfolder into your Tyrian folder.
Beta 3 Download
- Completely re-factored the virtual keyboard. It is now Tyrian-themed and sits beside the main screen when active.
- The virtual keyboard will auto-activate when a text-entry field is active, and close once text is entered.
- If you are upgrading from a previous version, you will need to copy the 'PSP' sub-folder into your Tyrian folder.
Goals for Beta 4:
- Refactor the graphics code for improved speed and to remove the shearing effects visible on some screens.
Looking for feedback, playtest results, and feature requests.