Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Few Q about Homebrews?

Most of the homebrews discussed in this forum can be downloaded here
Mich

Few Q about Homebrews?

Post by Mich »

Hello there!
I have some few questions about homebrews, because I really want to go into homebrew scene, I know some programming languages, and I want to start develop something on this platform.

1. Which are the most popular programming languages that homebrews for PSP/PS Vita are made?

2. Is there a way to emulate a homebrew, as of now I don't have a PSP, only Vita on 2.60, waiting for VHBL.

3. Any good starter tutorial links?

(P.S. 4. Is there a way to make a homebrew out of python and pygame?)
Advertising
Sony PS Vita WiFi 4GB 2.60 * Arcade Darts 2.60 VHBL
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 4.1.2 * rooted
Apple iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 * redsn0w jailbreak + unlock
Tonakai

Re: Few Q about Homebrews?

Post by Tonakai »

1. As far as I'm aware you can write Homebrew in Lua, C, C++ and Python. There may be more, but I've not really spent much time looking into it.

2. No personal experience on this topic, but as far as I can see it is possible to run Homebrew on PPSSPP. Not all homebrew is compatible however, so in all honesty you'd be better off using a PSP 1000. That said, you can find a list of the functional homebrew here: http://forums.ppsspp.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11. This has a little more information on how to run it on PPSSPP: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/2158.

PPSSPP can be found here: http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

3. This will help you understand the basics: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6908 and it also has some good tutorial links.

4. Yes, it's fully possible. Acid_Snake has written some great tutorials on this topic which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13112
Advertising
Mich

Post by Mich »

Tonakai wrote:1. As far as I'm aware you can write Homebrew in Lua, C, C++ and Python. There may be more, but I've not really spent much time looking into it.

2. No personal experience on this topic, but as far as I can see it is possible to run Homebrew on PPSSPP. Not all homebrew is compatible however, so in all honesty you'd be better off using a PSP 1000. That said, you can find a list of the functional homebrew here: http://forums.ppsspp.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11. This has a little more information on how to run it on PPSSPP: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/2158.

PPSSPP can be found here: http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html

3. This will help you understand the basics: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6908 and it also has some good tutorial links.

4. Yes, it's fully possible. Acid_Snake has written some great tutorials on this topic which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13112
Thankyou for the information and links. I'll check them later!
I'm thinking of buying a PSP, now they're really cheap, so I can later test some homebrews, if I succeed, and get into exploits. Which one should I buy? 1000, 3000?
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

No problem at all. :mrgreen:

The 1000 is great since it's unbrickable, so if you want write homebrew that would modify the hardware or flash0 then the 1k's definitely the way to go. However; I'd recommend the 2000 over the 3000. It has the same ram as the 3000 (around 64mb if memory serves) which could be utilised to run games and applications better than the 1000, while giving you a little extra to dabble about with. The main reason I'd recommend the 2000 over the 3000 is that the 2k can also be unbricked by using a Pandora's battery like the 1000. The difference between the 2k and the 3k is that the 3k has a better mic and brighter screen which is completely redundant.

Though, I can't remember if all 2k's are unbrickable, so that's something you'll have to do a bit of research into before hand.
Casavult

Post by Casavult »

Personally, I'd recommend a fully hackable PSP-2000 if you can get your hands on one due to the extra memory, but a PSP-1000 is also good.
Tonakai wrote:Though, I can't remember if all 2k's are unbrickable.
All PSP-2000's are unbrickable, except the ones with a TA-088v3 motherboard (well actually... just read this).
• PS4Pro 2TB OFW • PS3 3k 1TB OFW • PS3 Slim 2k 500GB 4.84.2 DEX Rebug • PS3 Slim 2k 250GB 4.84.2 CEX Rebug •
• PSV 1k 32GB 3.60 HENkaku • 3x PSP 2k (TA-085v1) 128GB 6.60 ME-2.3 • PSP 2k (TA-085v2) 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3 •
Mich

Post by Mich »

Casavult wrote:Personally, I'd recommend a fully hackable PSP-2000 if you can get your hands on one due to the extra memory, but a PSP-1000 is also good.
Tonakai wrote:Though, I can't remember if all 2k's are unbrickable.
All PSP-2000's are unbrickable, except the ones with a TA-088v3 motherboard (well actually... just read this).
Thanks for the information, I'll just buy a cheap used PSP 2000, and then will see, I just want to use a custom firmware or something, trying to find exploits and testing homebrews. Sadly I don't know anything about PSP system, because I have only PS Vita.
Tonakai

Post by Tonakai »

Have a read of this; http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/ it'll help you get started.

I notice in your signature it says that you have the Apache exploit (though from your post, I take it that you've upgraded). Anywhoo, point is, if you've put homebrew on your Vita you already know enough about the PSP's file architecture. It's all rather simple, but I'll go over a few important things.

ms0:/ is the root.
ms0:/iso is where you put iso/cso
ms0:/psp/game is where you put homebrew and PSX games (eboots)
ms0:/psp/theme xmb themes go here in ptf format. If you have cxmb plugin you can also use ctf files for themes that completely change the layout and things.
ms0:/seplugins this folder contains plugins in prx format. You'll probably need a tutorial for this so I'll find a decent one, or write a quick one myself in a bit.

The rest of the files aren't all that important for the moment or are rather self explanatory.

If you need any other help when you get the console feel free to ask.
Casavult wrote:All PSP-2000's are unbrickable, except the ones with a TA-088v3 motherboard (well actually... just read this).
Ahh, awesome. Thanks for the info, Casavult. :mrgreen:
StaticCodex

Post by StaticCodex »

Id say start with C then you can branch out to C++. I dont know much about LUA sadly but my experience with learning Objective C first allowed me to learn C and C++ smoothly as theyre all fairly linear to one another in terms of structure. Your best bet is to program the PSP first and emulate it on your pc while you await for a new release for 2.60+. Once a release is available you can always run it on your vita and adjust how the performance is outweighed.

Just note that when you emulate on the pc, it will most likely run faster than that on the vita. (ie. more frames, or even your function timers might run quicker. I had issues personally with this on a game developed for the vita through their PS Suite)
Instagram
2.02 TN-V / 1.67 ARK PS Vita | XBMC 150GB XBOX1 | FreeMCBoot PS2 | 6.60 PSPGO 32GB | R4 16gb NDSL
Killerfeeshy

Post by Killerfeeshy »

1) There are few languages you can use for PSP programming but the ones you can use are: Visual Basic, LUA, and C I program in LUA for the PSP using my favorite engine LUA Player Plus and personally find it the easiest to work with due to LUA being quite a high level programming language. The only complaints I have about LUA is that its slower than C but not by a heck of a lot.

2) As of now you can emulate PSP on Android, PC and IOS. For PC PSP emulation you have a choice of 2 emulators: JCPSP and PPSSPP. JCPSP runs homebrew the best in my opinion or at least in my experience. PPSSPP can run homebrew too but at this time its so glitchy that its really not worth bothering. Of course both are glitchy but JCPSP wins my vote for emulating PSP on the PC.

3) There are quite a lot of PSP LUA tutorials out there although the case with a lot of them is that there are parts of the code that some engines run differently or don't run at all rendering the tutorial useless to the engine you are using. However nothing beats looking through other peoples code and changing bits to see what happens. This generally is a good way to start before attempting at any tutorials.

4) sorry man, Ive never used Python so I wouldn't know.

Good luck with your new commitment to the PSP scene!
70 M3 M7 P5P 15 L1K3 4 DRUG 1F I75 /\/07 I/\/ M7 P0CK37 1M G0/\//\/4 P4/\/1C
My Homebrews
Crazy Eyes
ProKill
Top Down Racing
And others currently unreleased
Got any questions? http://www.ask.fm/Killerfeeshy
saiyan x

Post by saiyan x »

Actually luadev or pge lua are much better interpreters than lua player plus, check the link below where I wrote my own experiences using different interpreters. If you are new to lua programming on psp than i would recommend that you go for luadev as it has almost the same syntax as the original lua player and has many new features which previous lua players don't have and the best thing is that it is really fast.

http://bb.waratteka.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=126

Return to “Homebrews”