Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Help creating a large memory stick - can't format!

Unleash the full power of your PSP with a Custom Firmware.
Download and installation tutorial at http://wololo.net/wagic/cfw4dummies
bengalih

Help creating a large memory stick - can't format!

Post by bengalih »

UPDATE - After much research and tests I have posted a guide here.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to create a very large memory stick for my PSP-1000.
I have tried this process with 6.61 ME-2.3 and 6.61 PRO-C2 with similar results.

I have a CR-5400 Photofast adapter (I believe it is a genuine according to the semi-circular microsd slots as shown here: http://www.photofast.com/home/products/ ... r/cr-5400/)

It works in my PSP with 2x8GB SanDisk MicroSDHC cards.

Recently I purchased 2x200GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC cards and I cannot get the PSP to format them.

I either get a numerical error or else it appears to format them, but then says no memory stick is inserted.
After it formats them, if I remove them from the Photofast adapter and place each one in the PC, each one is formatted to ~32GB in size.

I've tried all sorts of things and it just isn't working. My guess is this particular combination of cards and adapter may not work - but I've been told that the firmware can support up to 2TB and I have heard reports of people creating 512MB+ cards.

Can anyone recommend what I can do to get a big card? I would prefer to have 256GB+ (2x128GB+).

Is there a specific brand/size of MicroSD and a specific place I should order a Photofast (or similar adapter) from in order to get this to work?

Thanks.
Advertising
Last edited by bengalih on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawthugg

Re: Help creating a large memory stick - can't format!

Post by lawthugg »

I'm wondering if the SD cards are fake not the adapter
Advertising
Co-designer of PSP U.P.M.S.
It's been a while, i shouldn't have left you.
d@rk51d3

Post by d@rk51d3 »

Have you tried formatting one card at a time.

Insert first card in slot 1
Format first card in slot 1
Remove first card.
insert second card in slot 2
Format Second card in slot 2
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

lawthugg wrote:I'm wondering if the SD cards are fake not the adapter
Definitely not. They are from a reputable vendor and I have tested them both with H2testw
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

d@rk51d3 wrote:Have you tried formatting one card at a time.

Insert first card in slot 1
Format first card in slot 1
Remove first card.
insert second card in slot 2
Format Second card in slot 2
I'm not sure I tried that exact combination, but I have done similar. Even with just one card in the first slot it fails the format and when checked in the PC the card is only formatted to 32GB.

I know that there is some type of partition limit with FAT32 of 32GB, so my guess is this is somehow coming into play - but I know people have been successful with doing this with 2x64GB cards, and I believe I have seen some people state they have done it with 2x128GB and I have heard at least rumors of 2x256GB.

At this point, I'm almost certain that my combination of cards/adapter won't allow me to do this - but what I need is some first hand accounts of what cards and adapter I can purchase to do this successfully as large as possible.

thanks.
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

So I just received another CR-5400 in the mail that I had ordered a couple months ago.
This card is definitely a counterfeit (according to the link I posted above), however it appears to work fine with my 2x8GB cards that I was originally using in my genuine Photofast adapter.

Using this new adapter I had mixed success in formatting the 2x200GB microSD cards. By that I mean that occasionally it would tell me the format was successful, although even in these cases it was not. It would show ~375GB of space (which would be correct for formatted 400GB partition) but it would only show like 170GB usable space. When viewing the card from my USB connection it appeared corrupted as shown on the attachment.

This doesn't really help me other than to prove that the different adapters clearly work in different ways - although neither can give me a suitable result even with a single 200GB card in the first slot.

I am going to try to get my hands on 2x64GB and 2x128GB cards and see if I can get a workable combination from either of these.

Still, I would really like to have 2x256GB, or at least the 2x128GB - so I would appreciate someone who has actually done this recommend the brand of microSD and where the purchased their Photofast adapter from (or similar).

Thanks.
Attachments
view of corrupt card from usb mounted PSP
view of corrupt card from usb mounted PSP
corruptcard.png (26.82 KiB) Viewed 9499 times
ali_ihsan21

Post by ali_ihsan21 »

I still want to do this on PSP go but refrain from hardmod.
PSP-1000 6.20 16 GB Pro C-2
PSP-go 6.20 32 GB LME 2.3 White
PSP-go 6.60 24 GB Pro C-2 / LME 2.3 Black
PS Vita Slim 8 GB 3.60 Henkaku
PS TV 3.60 Henkaku 1 TB Samsung Story
Thank you RepRep, Total_Noob, Suloku, Omega2058, TheFlow
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

So another point of reference - though not directly related to my main struggle:

I scavenged two other 16GB microSD cards from some old phones and tried to format them in my genuine Photofast.
The first few times it looked like it was formatting them but then gave the "no memory stick inserted" message after attempting a format.. While they appeared to be formatted ok, I didn't wan't to risk it since I never got a successful format message. When I swapped the microSD positions in the adapter I got a "no memory stick inserted" message PRIOR to trying to format (i.e. it couldn't find a card).

I put my original 8GB cards back into the genuine adapter and used my newer "fake" Photofast with the 16GB cards. That one worked without issue.

I was pretty sure the genuine Photofast was able to work with up to 16GB cards (maybe 32?) but it does appear that the "magic" combination is very specific with each card and adapter.
toBsucht
VIP

Post by toBsucht »

As far as i know if you use 2 mircoSD they have to be same speed CLASS.
CLASS 2 don´t work with CLASS 4, brand doesn´t matter. Your huge cards should be class 10.

About your problem getting memory cards connected:
sometimes the adapter will not be recognized but that is an issue with the pins from adapter to sd cards. The slightest pressure on the adapter and or sd cards will make it work again...
viewtopic.php?p=405964#p405964
HomeBrews working with Psp 6.xx fw viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2624
ofw (shrunk) HomeBrews viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1879

All Psp homebrews at mfi.re/toBsucht
http://pspinstaller.co.uk
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

toBsucht wrote:As far as i know if you use 2 mircoSD they have to be same speed CLASS.
CLASS 2 don´t work with CLASS 4, brand doesn´t matter. Your huge cards should be class 10.

About your problem getting memory cards connected:
sometimes the adapter will not be recognized but that is an issue with the pins from adapter to sd cards. The slightest pressure on the adapter and or sd cards will make it work again...
viewtopic.php?p=405964#p405964
Thanks - I am not mixing classes or brands of cards - I always place 2 identical ones into the adapter.

I don't think the issue is with the connection points either as they seem to get recognized in some configurations (just not formatted properly).

I'm still waiting for someone who has actually done this with 2x128GB or (hopefully) 2x256GB cards and can tell me which specific microSD cards worked and where they purchased their Photofast from.

Return to “Custom Firmwares (HEN/CFW/LCFW)”