Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Found 1001 3.60 m33 PSP after YEARS. Help me get up to date?

Unleash the full power of your PSP with a Custom Firmware.
Download and installation tutorial at http://wololo.net/wagic/cfw4dummies
wavey

Found 1001 3.60 m33 PSP after YEARS. Help me get up to date?

Post by wavey »

It's been almost 10 years since I've used anything Playstation related and need help getting back up to date. My PSP is a 1001 with firmware 3.60 m33 and my questions are;

Is m33 still the go to firmware to update on or is there a new/better alternative?

What are some good interesting games (apps,homebrew etc) to check out again?

My saved games appear to be corrupted, is there anyway to fix this?

What has changed since I left the scene back in ~2007?

Thanks
Advertising
lusid

Re: Found 1001 3.60 m33 PSP after YEARS. Help me get up to d

Post by lusid »

I found a unit running 4.0.1m33 recently. m33 is long gone. Two modern CFW branches are Pro, and ME/LME. Install OFW 6.61 and try them out on top of that and see if your save games start working again. Occasionally an emulator will get an update, and you can look back through the last few years for the occasional homebrew release but it dropped off about 5 years back. Every once in a while some random JRPG will get a PSP release, but what's left of the scene is mostly just hacking the ePSP on the vita.

Aside from some good old fashioned scene drama, here are a few things you may have missed:
-Converting ISOs to signed eboots is now trivial, so if thats what you are into you don't even need CFW.
-CDDA audio was finally fixed in PS1 eboots using total_noob's cdda enabler plugin.
-Sony shut down the PSP storefront, along with most of the game servers for infrastructure enabled psp games.
Advertising
wavey

Post by wavey »

lusid wrote: -Converting ISOs to signed eboots is now trivial, so if thats what you are into you don't even need CFW.

-Sony shut down the PSP storefront, along with most of the game servers for infrastructure enabled psp games.
All I want to do is play backup games and run some emulators/homebrew if I find any. I don't remember having to do anything to my backups?

Are you saying official firmware is pretty much open to unsigned code now?

What was the PSP storefront?
fouadtjuhmaster

Post by fouadtjuhmaster »

wavey wrote:What was the PSP storefront?
The PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store is what he probably meant with PSP storefront.
wavey wrote:Are you saying official firmware is pretty much open to unsigned code now?
Yes
wavey

Post by wavey »

fouadtjuhmaster wrote: The PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store is what he probably meant with PSP storefront.
So there was a point where the PSP had online gaming and I missed it? :oops:
Are you saying official firmware is pretty much open to unsigned code now?
Yes
Then what's the point of a CFW now if I could just drag & drop "hack" on official?
lusid

Post by lusid »

Custom PS1 eboots still require CFW, as does the plugin to enable CDDA audio for PS1 games.
Homebrew that requires kernel access also still needs CFW, including emulators that leverage the media engine, etc.

Otherwise PSP backups can be signed and just dropped into the game folder. The system still requires signed code, but the tools to do the signing are readily available.
wavey

Post by wavey »

I'll try asking here before I make a new thread

Updated to 6.60 PRO, reformatted my memory stick and see less folder than before. I remember there being a bunch of GAME### Number folders and stuff like that but I'm not sure if I have to create all these folders or the PSP will recreate it eventually?
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

wavey wrote:I'll try asking here before I make a new thread

Updated to 6.60 PRO, reformatted my memory stick and see less folder than before. I remember there being a bunch of GAME### Number folders and stuff like that but I'm not sure if I have to create all these folders or the PSP will recreate it eventually?
These were use for backwards compatibility on old homebrew. In general you don't need that unless there is a very old homebrew from the 1.5x era that you badly want to have, and that homebrew happens to never have been ported to the new world (3.xx and above)
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!

Return to “Custom Firmwares (HEN/CFW/LCFW)”