Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Tutorial] How to Install Rebug 3.55.4 REX CFW on your PS3

Underground PS3 information and discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

[Tutorial] How to Install Rebug 3.55.4 REX CFW on your PS3

Post by jc_gargma »

Ok, so you've come to this post wondering how to install 3.55 CFW. Good choice.
(Yes, post is also under construction.)

Most Recent Sticky Update (08/12/2013): Fixed some details about Data Codes.

Q1: What is CFW?
CFW allows you to run unsigned package files, 3.55 and lower signed packages, play music and video files, install emulators, rip your PS3 games and play them from internal HDD, USB HDD, burned CD/DVD, (MS on the oldest models) or USB flash drive, and play ripped BluRay Movies/PS1 games (and PS2 games for the few still on the oldest PS3 models.) This will NOT allow you to play any unmodified PS3 game requiring 3.60 or higher OFW, as 3.60 and 4.00 each use a new encryption on PS3 games/DLC/etc that 3.55 cannot use normally. Running these games will require them to be decrypted, then resigned into 3.55 keys. CFW for 3.55 does NOT allow PSN/SEN access.

Q2: Is my PS3 able to install CFW?
This is a good question. Some can and some cannot, and we need to check if yours can. Here is what you do:
1st: On your PS3, we need to check what OFW is installed on it. Go to Settings/System Settings/System Information and see what number it says next to System Software (Version 3.15)

2nd: If that number is 3.55 or lower, you can install CFW on you PS3, go to Q3.
-------If that number is 3.56 or higher, we need to check your PS3 model type to know if it can be downgraded to 3.55, so go to Q4.

Q3: How do I install CFW?
We now know your PS3 can install CFW, so, we need to update your system to OFW 3.55.
1st: Unplug your PS3's ethernet cable, and/or disconnect it from wifi. This is mostly a precaution incase of accidentally updating to the current OFW.

2nd: (If already on 3.55, skip this step) Download the 3.55 OFW update [link fix pending], extract it, rename the file to PS3UPDAT.PUP and put it on a USB drive (or an MS if you've got those ports) in (Drive Letter):/PS3/UPDATE/, and plug it into your PS3. Then go to System->System Update, and choose Update from Local Storage. It will show the update for 3.55, select it, and from there, the updater will tell you what to do. You should then be on OFW 3.55

3rd: We need to get the Rebug 3.55.4 REX CFW. Rebug 3.55.4 REX can be downloaded from here.
rebug.me wrote:** Please Do Not Hotlink Our Files **

This includes posting links of our links, we rely on visitors to our site to help offset server costs.
4th: Rename the Rebug pup as PS3UPDAT.PUP, and place it on your USB drive (or MS) in (Drive Letter):/PS3/UPDATE/ (backup your OFW 3.55 update elsewhere, if you want to.)

5th: Once plugged in, again go to System->System Update and choose "Update from Local Device," and follow the instructions to install Rebug 3.55.4 REX
(if for any reason the Update option doesn't work, try doing a System Update via recovery mode instead.)
recovery mode
6th: Once you have done so, go to Game/Package Manager/Install Package Files/PS3 Hard Disk and choose the Rebug-Toolbox-02.00.00 package. Install it.

7th: Now, head over to the installed Rebug Toolbox, and run it. It looks like the XMB, and can be moved around in the pretty much the same manner. The Rebug Toolbox is for swapping between Rebug and Normal Mode, and numerous other advanced features (so be careful.) For now, go to the second column (Selector,) and choose the System Mode option. Toggle it to Rebug. Then go to the left-most column (System) and choose Quit. Your system will reboot automatically, and you'll be up and running with Rebug 3.55.4 REX Edition.
While in Rebug Mode, your system is spoofed (Currently, Rebug 3.55.4 is spoofed to 4.31) and allows access to many features only Rebug Mode allows.

NOTE: Do NOT install another OFW/CFW/MFW/etc with Rebug Mode enabled. DISABLE it first, by using the Rebug Toolbox and going to the second column called Selector, choosing the System Mode option, and toggling it to Normal Mode. Then Quit the Toolbox from the left-most System Menu. It will reboot back into Normal Mode.
NOTE 2: The version spoofs Rebug uses are different than other OFW/CFW/MFWs, and are included inside Rebug 3.55.4 REX by default. Some unofficial spoofs are compatible with Rebug, but most are not. Be sure to read any spoof very carefully to ensure it is Rebug-compatible. (When it doubt, its not compatible.)

Q4: Can my PS3 be downgraded?
Again, some can, some cannot, so we need to know your PS3's model type to see if it can be.
1st: Downgrading requires opening up your PS3's frame, and soldering wires onto various points on the motherboard. Be sure you feel comfortable with this, and understand the risks associated with doing so.

2nd: On the back of your PS3 (or bottom for 2k Slims,) there should be a sticker, with serial codes, a barcode, etc on it. One of them is the PS3 model type. It will look like CECHXXXXX, and this is your PS3 model (ex, CECHK01, which is my 80Gb PS3 NOR Phat model, or CECH-2001A, which is a first-gen US PS3 Slim model.)
Another piece of information to look for is the date your unit was manufactured. This varies by region, and will appear as either a Month and Year, (my CECHK01 lists Sept 2008), while other models list a Data Code, which appears as a number indicating the year, followed by a letter of A to D indicating which quarter of the year) (example, 9B, which would mean April-June 2009, or 1C, which would mean July-Sept 2011.)

3rd: Models
------If its a CECHA to CECHG, its a NAND Phat, and which means only Progskeet can downgrade it. Move to Q5.
------If its a CECHH to CECHQ its a NOR Phat, which is the most easily downgraded, with Progskeet, a Teensy++ 2.0, or an E3 Flasher. Move to Q5.
------If its a CECH-20XXX to CECH21XXX its a 2k Slim, and can be downgraded as a NOR Phat can. Progskeet, Teensy++ 2.0, or E3 Flasher. Move to Q5.
------If its a CECH-25XXX with Jan-March 2011 or a 1A Data Code, download the MiniVersionChecker (here), and place in on a Flash drive (or MS) in (Drive Letter):/PS3/UPDATE and plug it into your PS3, and go to System->System Update and choose "Update from Local Device," and attempt to install it. This will tell you the minimum OFW you can downgrade to. If this tells you 3.55 or less, Progskeet, Teensy++ 2.0, or E3 Flasher can work, and move to Q5. If this tells you 3.56, you're out of luck. Sorry.
------If its a CECH-25XXX with April 2011, a 1B Data Code, or anything later than those, then this model uses metldr2, and cannot be downgraded to 3.55. Unless something comes out later for 3.60+, you're out of luck. Sorry.
------If is a CECH-3XXXX and later, then its a post 3.60 Slim, and cannot be downgraded to 3.55. Unless something comes out later for 3.60+, you're out of luck. Sorry.

Q5: Downgrading
Ok, so, since I don't have a flasher (and am unlikely to anytime soon,) I won't be able to provide much first-hand assistance in regards to flashing or CEX-to-DEX. Thought I'd give a heads-up on that. Apologies.

Links to Downgrading with Hardware Flasher Tutorials
Ultimate Fool Proof Guide: PS3 Hardware Downgrading at ps3hax.net
Advertising
jd20dog

Re: [Tutorial] How to Jailbreak/Install CFW on your PS3

Post by jd20dog »

how did you know i was about to ask about this? lol

ps:i know its for every one, but i like the idea of being special

thanks alot
Advertising
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
garrei

Post by garrei »

ummm Q6? i dont think you finished it xD

Edit: sorry didnt see the under construction sentence :P
i was thinking of getting a ps3 now they have had a massive price drop in australia. im guessing they arent hackable?
My PC: AMD FX 8-core 4.2Ghz, 16gb RAM, GTX 580, 60gb SSD, Blu-ray Burner, WiFi, 1.5TB HDD, 1000W PSU, 27" Full HD Monitor
My PSP Slim 2002 - TA-085
My PS3 Slim 160GB 4.25 OFW
My Vita: WiFi only :(
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

garrei wrote:ummm Q6? i dont think you finished it xD

i was thinking of getting a ps3 now they have had a massive price drop in australia. im guessing they arent hackable?
just check if the system is on ofw 3.55 or lower and you should be fine
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

jd20dog wrote:how did you know i was about to ask about this? lol

ps:i know its for every one, but i like the idea of being special

thanks alot
I've been meaning to do one for awhile, and since the ps3 section started to pick up recently (since wololo is covering it abit,) it felt abit more needed (plus I kept replying about "no jb above 3.56" and "downgrading means opening up your ps3 and soldering wires onto its motherboard")
jd20dog wrote:
garrei wrote:ummm Q6? i dont think you finished it xD

just check if the system is on ofw 3.55 or lower and you should be fine
Yeah, its abit erratic. I was planning to drop in downgrading and 3.56 stuff at the start, but needed to look into those more, so I sent out the main 3.55 parts for now. I'll fix it in abit.

If you can view the model number on the box, CECH(something) you can get an idea if its CFW friendly. CECHA to CECHQ and CECH-2000A to CECH2100B are fairgame (being no higher than 3.21 new from the box), Some CECH-2500's are, but I'll need to sort through a better way to identify which is which. CECH-3000A and up are not. (Ohs, I'll add this to the sticky.)

3.56 also has a cfw, though its not capable as 3.55 cfw. Above 3.56 needs a hardware flasher to downgrade. I'll be reading up more on that in the next few days. 3.56 CFW is crudware, so ignore that.
Any console that came with 3.60 and over is out of luck though. They can't be downgraded lower than the OFW they came with.

I have the 3.55 pup now, its the finding a nice host for it atm. (its 170Mb)
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

if you would like I can add that .pup to my dropbox ^__^
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

ill just wait till you finish the guide before continuing with hacking the ps3
till then i have fatal frame to keep me occupied
"Mayu!! stop running away!!! or ill have to slap the ghost out of you!!" lol
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma »

3.55 update pup now added.
Wamphyri2b

Post by Wamphyri2b »

Hey, thanks.
This guys at school has been asking me to look into hacking his PS3 for him, now I have somewhere to start.
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

the guide worked great
step seven looks like it freezes when you click yes but just give it about 2 min and it will change to a completion screen(the only reason i know something was happening was because my usb drive only flashes as its being accessed)

im still not sure on the rebug mode on/off thing though, like when/ how am i supposed the turn it on and off, so please expand on the process of this
i would also like a guide on installing other os, like Ubuntu if someone would be so kind as to make one

ps: psp pro duo works for the cecha01 as a flash drive too(load light helps know somethings happening) also i didn't expect the boot screen to have REBUG instead of the PS3 logo after step five's reboot, kind of cool aesthetic change

thanks for all the help and great guide

also has any one else noticed the ps3 runs warmer on 3.55(115F) and compared to 3.15(101F)? or is this just my paranoia acting up on me?

Return to “Programming & security”