Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Review] The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Discuss official PS3 games here
JeoWay

[Review] The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Post by JeoWay »

Overall Rating: 10/10 (Performance Wise)
Gameplay: 9/10
Graphics: 7/10
Sound: 10/10
Lasting Appeal: 8/10
Would I recommend this product to a friend? (YES) - NO
This game is perfect for casual gamers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review Summary:

Amazing, Outstanding, well worth $50
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Review:

This game is outstanding. Good graphics don't make a good game. The graphics aren't terrible. At the same time, aren't next-gen. Honestly, who cares? If you complain about graphics, please stop playing games because you aren't respecting the privilege of games. Sound is amazing. Graphics look like pure casual games and how they should look. Nice soothing back story from Daryl. The appeal of this game after finishing it and obtaining all the trophies, would be great. You can keep the game and still act like a real zombie apocalypse is happening and you must survive. You never know, it says add-on content on the back. They may release DLC containing an endless survival mode! Each scavenger mission (optional missions) are about 20 - 40 minutes in length. So they actually are time consuming for just side missions (which is good and will last). The Gameplay is just amazing. I feel as if I HAVE to survive. People like IGN and Gamespot REALLY don't know how to rate a game. They basically rated it graphics wise. They don't actually rate it on gameplay and the appeal. All they care about is graphics, and personally, I think thats wrong to give a game a bad review due to it not being "Next-Gen" graphics. For a small fee of $50.00 the game is just outstanding. I wouldn't mind paying for it in a bundle with PS3 and a PS Vita version for $110. Its just that good and appealing. Not to mention the puzzles involved in the game and the combat system used. Overall, I give the game an astounding 10/10 (Performance Wise, you piece of shi*t graphics reviewers). And you know dang well thats what you reviewed it on. I definitely recommend this game to all Walking Dead Fans (And even those who aren't walking dead fans!)
Caption:

"Jaw Dropping and a heck lot of fun"

Advertising
Last edited by JeoWay on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 4770K @4.7Ghz
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RAM
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair H100i Water Cooling
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
1TB WD Blue - 128GB 840 PRO SSD
BenQ XL2420TE Gaming Monitor
pridefuldawn

Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Review

Post by pridefuldawn »

Respectable, but to me this game just feels like shovelware, and it doesn't live up to the brilliance of The Walking Dead by Telltale.
The Mechanics are unpolished, and the games aesthetics are really bad(which I don't really care about to much, but the game looks pretty bland compared to the gritty tv show).
Do you really think they couldn't of put more effort into the game? It just feels rushed to me, I don't know...
Advertising
[spoiler]You really shouldn't of clicked that button, you wasted an estimated ten seconds[/spoiler]
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

pridefuldawn wrote:Respectable, but to me this game just feels like shovelware, and it doesn't live up to the brilliance of The Walking Dead by Telltale.
The Mechanics are unpolished, and the games aesthetics are really bad(which I don't really care about to much, but the game looks pretty bland compared to the gritty tv show).
Do you really think they couldn't of put more effort into the game? It just feels rushed to me, I don't know...
Um, well, yeah, I belive it was rushed and not went over in the efforts of the original point-in-click game. But the potential the game COULD have and what it DOES have is good enough to at least call it respectable. The whole point to the game was mostly to deliver a great backstory to Daryl's life and have a game that follows a story in an FPS motion. Needless to say, it gives you most options to change the way the game works (eg. traveling, missions, recruiting, etc) and has the whole layout of making a backstory, well, your own to put together as a puzzle to the tv show. Yes I belive it could be better, but it was original $60, $70. but was cut down to $50 because of production rushing. this game reminds me of Black Ops: Declassified on the Vita. It was rushed and didnt have the Vita's full potential put into it, (eg. graphics, physics, control layout, etc). The game is good and tells a good story, its just blank in some places. But updates can help fill these blank spaces in time. But it won't help improve textures. Add-ons may help the game sales later on its game cycle.
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

I respect your opinion, but you have to be blind. This game is a disastrous mess. Its bloody awful. IGN didn't base it off graphics alone either. Id recommend this to no one and give it a 0.5/10. Go spend $10 more dollars and get something worthy like Bioshock infinte.

But story wise, telltale's Walking Dead was way better.
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

Jd8531 wrote:I respect your opinion, but you have to be blind. This game is a disastrous mess. Its bloody awful. IGN didn't base it off graphics alone either. Id recommend this to no one and give it a 0.5/10. Go spend $10 more dollars and get something worthy like Bioshock infinte.

But story wise, telltale's Walking Dead was way better.
I'm not defending the game at all. I just like knowing a pretty good backstory to someones life (Daryl). As a die-hard Walking Dead fan, I wanted to try the game, I like the soothing combat of just killing zombies and having a story at the same time. I have played the game by TellTale and its an amazing game if you just like "watching" and pointing and clicking stories. For me, I like actually playing it out "FPS MODE!" :lol:

Honestly, I don't care how a game is, if theres a good enough story and trophies involved. I'll buy it. Even My Little Pony or whatever. I would buy it if it had trophies and good story too it. :lol:
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

JeoWay wrote: I'm not defending the game at all. I just like knowing a pretty good backstory to someones life (Daryl). As a die-hard Walking Dead fan, I wanted to try the game, I like the soothing combat of just killing zombies and having a story at the same time. I have played the game by TellTale and its an amazing game if you just like "watching" and pointing and clicking stories. For me, I like actually playing it out "FPS MODE!" :lol:

Honestly, I don't care how a game is, if theres a good enough story and trophies involved. I'll buy it. Even My Little Pony or whatever. I would buy it if it had trophies and good story too it. :lol:
I am a huge Walking Dead fan too, but to me this game was terrible both plot and gameplay wise especially compared to the TV show. I dont judge based off graphics, there are alot of ugly games that are incredible but this game was just lazy with the textures and the clipping.
I prefer FPS too, if you want that then go try Dead Island, its decent or want something without story, DayZ standalone is coming for PC.
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

Jd8531 wrote:
JeoWay wrote: I'm not defending the game at all. I just like knowing a pretty good backstory to someones life (Daryl). As a die-hard Walking Dead fan, I wanted to try the game, I like the soothing combat of just killing zombies and having a story at the same time. I have played the game by TellTale and its an amazing game if you just like "watching" and pointing and clicking stories. For me, I like actually playing it out "FPS MODE!" :lol:

I am a huge Walking Dead fan too, but to me this game was terrible both plot and gameplay wise especially compared to the TV show. I dont judge based off graphics, there are alot of ugly games that are incredible but this game was just lazy with the textures and the clipping.
I prefer FPS too, if you want that then go try Dead Island, its decent or want something without story, DayZ standalone is coming for PC.
Iv'e been thinking about Dead Island. One day, I hope the PS3 is hacked for OFW again and isn't updated (like the psp), and I want to get together a team of developers and just create one big zombie game that has a story to it as a homebrew. Free-to-Play. Good story. FPS. Everyone could have the benefit of not having to pay for a game. I think developers need to make a good game about zombies and have a story to it as well. Thats one of the things the PS3 and VITA need at this point in time.
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

I couldn't agree more. DayZ and Left 4 Dead are the only really good zombies games right now in my opinion but they lack story.
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

Jd8531 wrote:I couldn't agree more. DayZ and Left 4 Dead are the only really good zombies games right now in my opinion but they lack story.
Thats the only problem with the games. Everything just HAS to be Hack'n'Slash games. Developers don't look at 75% of other players perspectives and I think thats something that would seriously help sells with games like Black Ops which support a good zombie mode. With the story of Black Ops 2 Campaign, I belive TreyArch could REALLY make a good zombie campaign and an AMAZING storyline. Tranzit just wasn't the thing people were really looking for. But it was a good enough addition
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »