Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

HD ports how are they made?

Discuss official PS3 games here
foxsevent

HD ports how are they made?

Post by foxsevent »

Probably no one knows how are they made, but if someone could post some insight that would be great.
It just baffles me the difference between PS3, PS2 and PS VITA HD ports in weight.
Examples.
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.
On PS3 MGS2 and 3 weight 17.3GB (MGS2 weights more or less the same as PS2 counterpart but MGS3 doubled in space :?: )
When on PS VITA it's about 3.3gb
Now i understand smaller screen with smaller res they could downscale a bit but 960x544 - 1280x720 not such a big difference.
Also note that the PS VITA version weights less the original copy for the PS2 which was running with res about 640x480 (something close to this)
MGS2 Sub PS2 - 8GB
MGS3 Sub PS2 - 4GB
One thing i realized MGS2 takes the same amount of space cause they most likely used the PC port, so not much of upscaling was done, while MGS3 has only low res PS2 version so they had to put more work into it.

God of War 1 and 2 weight 9GB each a bit more the the original counterpart.
Resident Evil 4 HD and Code Veronica same deal almost same space taken.
The Sly Collection/Trilogy.
Sly 1 got doubled in space taken.
Sly 2 and 3 4x more.

So does anyone knows why such space difference between original and HD port, also how the heck they packed 17.3GB into 3.3GB MGS HD for PS VITA.
Advertising
Lizarddean

Re: HD ports how are they made?

Post by Lizarddean »

It think its mostly because of the different Screen sizes of the consoles.
Advertising
Lizarddean.
jd20dog

Re: HD ports how are they made?

Post by jd20dog »

the game engine is different for the vita ports, to ad and redo the games for the new control scheme and the vita carts(and memory cards) are far more limited on space then a blueray

most of the data size dif is bulk data to throw off piracy for the blueray and extra languages

as for how much they change the games depends on how much they have to do
mgs2 runs with the game engine modified to run on the ps3 cpu and gpu with graphical resolution upgrades, mgs3 on the other hand is a much more complex rebuild of the entire games software and engines to run it on the ps3

at least thats my understanding of the mg hd sets go
see if acid-snake shows up, he usually has better info on mgs games, he has them all lol
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........

Return to “Games”