Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Software fix for hardware vulnerability?

Underground Switch Discussions
edale1

Software fix for hardware vulnerability?

Post by edale1 »

Hiya, question about the new 6.20 OFW update (I think this is the right subforum to ask this on).

I spotted this vid on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7n4mgxWEA

It talks about how Nintendo found a way to patch the hardware vulnerability in the Tegra X1 chip in the older switches.

Seeing as how a software fix for a hardware vulnerability should have been pretty much impossible, I'm very curious about how Nintendo achieved this, but my google-fu has failed me for actually finding a description of what Nintendo did, or even any discussion about the update at all...

If anyone could explain how the update fixes the vulnerability, or provide a link to somewhere that explains it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: Software fix for hardware vulnerability?

Post by fate6 »

They didn't is how, 6.2 changed how keys are derived so CFW needed to be updated so support the new way.
Thats it, some clickbait randos took the fact that CFW didn't work day 1 on 6.2 as some sign that ninty fixed something thats impossible to fix with any software update.

RCM is a hardware feature that NVIDIA neglected to fully disable and the exploit used within RCM to take control of the system is found in the bootloader witch is read only from the factory, ninty did fix the exploit within the bootloader but did so by patching it on new units since they can not update a read only bootloader on anything that was already manufactured.

6.2 has CFW support as of last week iirc if not longer so everything is back to normal.
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
edale1

Re: Software fix for hardware vulnerability?

Post by edale1 »

And that would explain why I can't find any info about it. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Return to “Programming and Security”