Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Vita

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
Rinnegatamante
VIP

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Vita

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Description

EDuke32 Vita is a port for PSVITA of EDuke32, a Build engine source port allowing you to play Duke Nukem 3D. Hopefully next updates will fix the known bugs (read the specific section) and will bring also better renderers support (Polymost renderer support is the first planned feature for next updates)

Why porting it

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition is available for PSVITA so why porting it?
1) Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition is no longer sold cause of copyright issues
2) Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition requires you to re-buy the game if you already own Duke Nukem 3D while with EDuke32 you can re-use your own game files.
3) EDuke32 has several cool settings that Megaton Edition doesn't have.

Controls

L: Kick
R: Fire
Cross: Jump
Circle: Duck
Square: Use
Triangle: Show Map
Dpad L: Previous Weapon
Dpad R: Next Weapon
Dpad Up: Next Inventory Item
Dpad Down: Use Inventory Item

Known Bugs

- In certain circumstances there could be some framedrops

Credits

Thanks to EDuke32 team for the awesome source port
Thanks to all my Patroners for their awesome support:
- 2Mourty
- Andyways
- BOBdotEXE
- Count Duckula
- Daniel
- Elwood Blues
- Florian Gaul
- Gelson Silva
- Jared Breland
- Lars Zondervan
- gnmmarechal
- Pirloui
- PSX-Place.com
- RaveHeart
- rsn8887
- Samuel Batista
- T33Hud
- Troy Murray
- Yakara Network

Download

http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/397
Advertising
Last edited by Rinnegatamante on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
Akula

Re: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Vita

Post by Akula »

Where do I put the game files? I keep getting a crash whenever I try to start it, I believe that is the issue.

EDIT- The data folder, duh.
Advertising
Akula

Post by Akula »

So it's pretty good so far, I hope you can get a current version of eDuke32 ported, as I'd like to try and get the "Duke Forces" mod to run on it.

Nicely done
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Great job, keeping the Vita homebrew scene alive!
01y

Post by 01y »

This is absolutely fantastic! At this rate, all the great 90s FPS games will eventually be on the Vita! :D This is finally an excuse for me to play DN3D, which had always lost out to Doom and Quake in terms of my personal play time. One question: in order to upgrade to the registered version, is it sufficient just to overwrite the DUKE3D.GRP file from the VHBB supplied one with a user-supplied one, or should other files also be included? Default config (original resolution, controls, etc) is great right out of the door, as is performance.

A couple of suggestions for improvement based on first impressions:

* The Joystick sensitivity could be a bit higher, turning is a bit slow, and strafing speed does not seem to increase inline with joystick displacement (just goes from zero to max), similarly walking forward/backward could have a better feeling ramp-up. Perhaps just assigning a constant multiple of joystick displacement to the mouse control variables would give a good result.

* Sometimes there are texture glitches, drawing some columns a solid color, the density of such seeming (just guessing here) to be roughly proportional to the slope of the upper boundary line of the texture (see images). Guessing this has to do with rounding errors. EDIT: seems to apply to "decals" most specifically, like blood on the walls, urinals, monitors, etc. Anomalous columns not drawn, rather than solid. Also HOM effect with the bathroom mirror.
2018-08-22-172916.png
2018-08-22-172916.png (217.93 KiB) Viewed 30344 times
2018-08-22-172944.png
2018-08-22-172944.png (217.6 KiB) Viewed 30344 times
2018-08-22-172949.png
2018-08-22-172949.png (187.18 KiB) Viewed 30344 times
* Similarly, sometimes for a flash (maybe one frame) you can see through some walls when (maybe) traversing a sector boundary. Could be related.

* Going to sleep (pressing the power button) seems to fill up the input queue with false inputs, making the game impossible to control for a few seconds after restoring

Thanks for the great work.
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

01y wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 pm This is absolutely fantastic! At this rate, all the great 90s FPS games will eventually be on the Vita! :D This is finally an excuse for me to play DN3D, which had always lost out to Doom and Quake in terms of my personal play time. One question: in order to upgrade to the registered version, is it sufficient just to overwrite the DUKE3D.GRP file from the VHBB supplied one with a user-supplied one, or should other files also be included? Default config (original resolution, controls, etc) is great right out of the door, as is performance.

A couple of suggestions for improvement based on first impressions:

* The Joystick sensitivity could be a bit higher, turning is a bit slow, and strafing speed does not seem to increase inline with joystick displacement (just goes from zero to max), similarly walking forward/backward could have a better feeling ramp-up. Perhaps just assigning a constant multiple of joystick displacement to the mouse control variables would give a good result.

* Sometimes there are texture glitches, drawing some columns a solid color, the density of such seeming (just guessing here) to be roughly proportional to the slope of the upper boundary line of the texture (see images). Guessing this has to do with rounding errors. EDIT: seems to apply to "decals" most specifically, like blood on the walls, urinals, monitors, etc. Anomalous columns not drawn, rather than solid. Also HOM effect with the bathroom mirror.

2018-08-22-172916.png2018-08-22-172944.png2018-08-22-172949.png

* Similarly, sometimes for a flash (maybe one frame) you can see through some walls when (maybe) traversing a sector boundary. Could be related.

* Going to sleep (pressing the power button) seems to fill up the input queue with false inputs, making the game impossible to control for a few seconds after restoring

Thanks for the great work.
Replacing DUKE3D.grp should be enough to get full version to work.
Joystick sensitivity can be adjusted in Options menu.
As for the glitches you reported, they're even listed in Known Bugs.
01y

Post by 01y »

Rinnegatamante wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 am Replacing DUKE3D.grp should be enough to get full version to work.
Joystick sensitivity can be adjusted in Options menu.
As for the glitches you reported, they're even listed in Known Bugs.
Thanks for that. I apologize, by the time I made that post, I had forgotten that it was you who first mentioned the mirror problem :oops:
simando

Post by simando »

Thanks for doing this, I don't have space for the vita game on my memory stick so this is a fantastic solution, plays great too.
dr_bunsen

Post by dr_bunsen »

Can the expansion packs such as Duke It Out In DC and Caribbean Vacation be played with EDuke32 Vita? If they can, how must the files be stored and selected?
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

That's something you should check on EDuke32 website i suppose. I don't own Duke Nukem 3D nor original expansion packs so i can't test personally.

Return to “HENkaku”