Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
Al Capwn
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by Al Capwn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for this release, has been excellent so far. especially the digital music which I have working in Doom I/II. My only issue is getting Hexen's digital music pack to work and that is with the linked Hexen music pack. Is the problem possibly related to the SHA1 values in the config?
Advertising

fgsfds
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by fgsfds » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Al Capwn wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
Thanks for this release, has been excellent so far. especially the digital music which I have working in Doom I/II. My only issue is getting Hexen's digital music pack to work and that is with the linked Hexen music pack. Is the problem possibly related to the SHA1 values in the config?
I haven't personally tested the Hexen config from the pack provided by MysticalLiete, but I know that this worked fine when I tested it in Release 1.
Advertising

rsn8887
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by rsn8887 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Concerning the digital music packs, I would recommend the boosted packs. The raw packs seem to be missing some music tracks.

deathblade200
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by deathblade200 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 am

rsn8887 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm
Concerning the digital music packs, I would recommend the boosted packs. The raw packs seem to be missing some music tracks.
some things are named incorrectly such as intermission music

Al Capwn
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by Al Capwn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 am

fgsfds wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:09 pm
Al Capwn wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
Thanks for this release, has been excellent so far. especially the digital music which I have working in Doom I/II. My only issue is getting Hexen's digital music pack to work and that is with the linked Hexen music pack. Is the problem possibly related to the SHA1 values in the config?
I haven't personally tested the Hexen config from the pack provided by MysticalLiete, but I know that this worked fine when I tested it in Release 1.
Thanks! That worked perfectly. The really confusing thing is that I can't tell any difference between the config files but I re-copied both and my original definitely doesn't play for some reason.

MysticalLiete
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by MysticalLiete » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 pm

fgsfds wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:09 pm
Al Capwn wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 am
Thanks for this release, has been excellent so far. especially the digital music which I have working in Doom I/II. My only issue is getting Hexen's digital music pack to work and that is with the linked Hexen music pack. Is the problem possibly related to the SHA1 values in the config?
I haven't personally tested the Hexen config from the pack provided by MysticalLiete, but I know that this worked fine when I tested it in Release 1.
Thanks for confirming this, I've edited the post to advise people to use the .cfg in the link instead.

By the way, there’s a few issues with saving separate settings for each game. For example, Hexen, Heretic and Strife will all keep their own individual settings. However, Chex Quest, Freedoom etc. will always use the same settings as Doom II. Because the sound in these games needs to be set to OPL3 (whereas the Doom games will be using Digital), that means manually adjusting the settings each time. I assume this is because they need their own .cfg files in /chocolate/?
a.k.a sj33

fgsfds
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by fgsfds » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm

MysticalLiete wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 pm
By the way, there’s a few issues with saving separate settings for each game. For example, Hexen, Heretic and Strife will all keep their own individual settings. However, Chex Quest, Freedoom etc. will always use the same settings as Doom II. Because the sound in these games needs to be set to OPL3 (whereas the Doom games will be using Digital), that means manually adjusting the settings each time. I assume this is because they need their own .cfg files in /chocolate/?
This is sort of the way Chocolate Doom works. There's actually four different binaries in the VPK, each represents a "sub-engine" capable of running its own set of games. Each binary uses its own set of config files:
  • Chocolate Doom (doom.bin) runs all Doom and Doom 2 based games and uses default.cfg and chocolate-doom.cfg;
  • Chocolate Heretic (heretic.bin) runs Heretic and uses heretic.cfg and chocolate-heretic.cfg;
  • Chocolate Hexen (hexen.bin) runs Hexen and uses hexen.cfg and chocolate-hexen.cfg;
  • Chocolate Strife (strife.bin) runs Strife and uses strife.cfg and chocolate-strife.cfg.
As you've probably noticed, there's a fuсkton of games that run on the Doom "sub-engine" and they all use the same two configs. The launcher keeps separate settings for each set of configs or "sub-engine", but not for each game. So your assumption is correct, however you can't have Chocolate Doom load any additional configs automatically. You can do it using response files (by specifying the -config and -extraconfig command line args), but that's kind of a pain in the аss either way. I'll probably fix this in some way for the next release.

Chris_Highwind
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by Chris_Highwind » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:16 pm

fgsfds wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:43 am
It turns out Chocolate Doom does not fully support FreeDoom, so be wary of savegame overflows and other limit-related bugs when playing it.
You can always go into chocolate-doom.cfg and set vanilla_savegame_limits and vanilla_demo_limits to 0 to at the very least lessen the chance of savegame and demo recording overflows. Not sure about other limit-related bugs, however.
PS3 Super-Slim 500 GB
PS Vita (32 GB Memory Stick): Henkaku Enso 3.60
PS4

MysticalLiete
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 am

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by MysticalLiete » Sun May 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Does anybody know if it’s actually possible to load the No Rest for the Living (nerve.wad) Doom 2 expansion that came with BFG Edition through Chocolate Doom?

It’s not officially supported, but apparently it can be forcibly loaded with Vanilla Doom (albeit with some glitches, incorrect music and level names etc.) using parameters. This implies that it should be possible with Chocolate Doom too.
a.k.a sj33

deathblade200
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by deathblade200 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 am

MysticalLiete wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:08 pm
Does anybody know if it’s actually possible to load the No Rest for the Living (nerve.wad) Doom 2 expansion that came with BFG Edition through Chocolate Doom?

It’s not officially supported, but apparently it can be forcibly loaded with Vanilla Doom (albeit with some glitches, incorrect music and level names etc.) using parameters. This implies that it should be possible with Chocolate Doom too.
just load it as a pwad

Post Reply

Return to “HENkaku”