Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

HENkaku is a native Homebrew Enabler for the PS Vita and PS TV. It lets you run homebrews on the PS Vita
fgsfds

[RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by fgsfds »

Chocolate Doom v3.0.1

Latest version: Release 3.1 (23 Oct 2020)
Github repo: link

Image Image

Description
This is a Vita port of Chocolate Doom, which is a Doom source port. It supports the original Doom games, as well as Heretic, Hexen and Strife, and adds some extra features while staying as close to the vanilla game(s) as possible.

Features
  • supports Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, FreeDoom, Chex Quest, Heretic, Hexen and Strife;
  • sound and music, including OPL3 and PC Speaker emulation, as well as OGG music support (see this post for setup guide);
  • supports LAN and online multiplayer (no server browser yet);
  • single integrated launcher for all supported games that allows setting most configuration options;
  • supports custom files (PWADs, LMPs, DEHs, demos, etc.);
  • supports almost all features of Chocolate Doom (WAD file merging, built-in DeHackEd, etc.).

Installation guide
Download (latest release):
VPK (~5.6 MB)
data.zip (~3.7 MB)
  1. Install the VPK.
  2. Extract data.zip to ux0:/ (root of memory card).
  3. Copy your IWAD files (see table below) to ux0:/data/chocolate/iwads.

Launcher controls
  • LTrigger/RTrigger: select tab;
  • Up/Down: select option;
  • Left/Right: adjust option;
  • Cross: activate option (runs selected game when in Game tab);
  • Start: save settings and launch the game you have selected in the Game tab;
  • Circle: save settings and exit launcher; cancel selection when in file select dialog.
Controls for a particular game can be viewed and changed in the Buttons and Input tabs of the launcher. Default basic controls for most games are as follows:
  • LStick: move/strafe;
  • RStick: turn/look;
  • RTrigger: fire;
  • LTrigger: run;
  • Square: use;
  • Triangle and/or Circle: change weapons;
  • Front touch: toggle map.

Supported games / IWADs
To be able to run a particular game from this list, copy the corresponding file(s) to ux0:/data/chocolate/iwads.

Code: Select all

| Game                                   | File(s)        |
|----------------------------------------|----------------|
| Shareware Doom *                       | `doom1.wad`    |
| Doom / Ultimate Doom                   | `doom.wad`     |
| Doom II                                | `doom2.wad`    |
| Final Doom: TNT Evilution              | `tnt.wad`      |
| Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment    | `plutonia.wad` |
| Chex Quest                             | `chex.wad`,    |
|                                        | `chex.deh`     |
| FreeDoom: Phase 1                      | `freedoom.wad` |
| FreeDoom: Phase 2                      | `freedoom2.wad`|
| FreeDM                                 | `freedm.wad`   |
| Shareware Heretic *                    | `heretic1.wad` |
| Heretic / Shadow of the Serpent Riders | `heretic.wad`  |
| Hexen                                  | `hexen.wad`    |
| Strife                                 | `strife1.wad`, |
|                                        | `voices.wad`   |
|----------------------------------------|----------------|
Files for games marked with * are already included in data.zip.
chex.deh can be found here and is required for Chex to work correctly.
FreeDoom is a free and open source recreation of the original Doom 1 & 2 IWADs. It can be found here, but it is not 100% compatible with Chocolate Doom.

Loading PWADs and other custom game files
Put all custom files for a given game into ux0:/data/chocolate/pwads/<gamedir>, where <gamedir> is doom for all Doom games, heretic for Heretic and Shareware Heretic, hexen for Hexen and strife for Strife, then use the Custom tab in the launcher to select any custom content you want. Currently the launcher allows to select 1 DEH file and up to 4 PWADs/LMPs.

Notes
After recording a demo it will be saved to ux0:/data/chocolate/tmp/mydemo.lmp. Don't forget to copy it before recording another one.

Saves for a particular game/IWAD are stored in ux0:/data/chocolate/savegames/<iwad>.

If the game closes without producing a crash dump, a file named ux0:/data/chocolate/i_error.log should be generated, which contains error messages.

The IP address that appears in the `Game address` field of the `Net` tab of the launcher when you run it is your Vita's LAN IP. You can use this if autojoin doesn't work properly.

To join a game by IP, select `Game address`, enter the address, then hit `Connect to address`.

Netgames will only work correctly if all players have selected the same game and set of custom files (stuff in the `Files` tab). PWAD order does matter. The game will complain upon connecting if you did something wrong.

The `Merge file` option is the launcher version of the `-merge` command line option. See the Chocolate Doom wiki for more details.

You can specify custom command line parameters in a response file, then load it using the `Override response file` option. Don't forget to select the correct game.

Some static render limits are slightly raised in the Vita port to (hopefully) allow SIGIL to run. The port is still by no means "limit-removing", so you should use SIGIL_COMPAT*.wad.

See the README, the Github issues list and the Chocolate Doom wiki for more information.

Credits
  • these people for Chocolate Doom itself;
  • Vita SDK Team for the Vita SDK;
  • rsn8887 and cpasjuste for the SDL2 port;
  • rsn8887 for some graphics code and the SDL_net port;
  • frangarcj for the Vita2D fork and Vita Shader Collection;
  • maken/tiduscrying for LiveArea assets;
  • KINGGOLDrus for some launcher graphics;
  • everyone on the #henkaku and #vitasdk IRC channels for help and/or testing.
Advertising
Last edited by fgsfds on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MrWeedster

Re: [RELEASE] Chocolate Doom (also supports Heretic, Hexen and Strife)

Post by MrWeedster »

This is great, thanks! Just when i needed it for my new ps vita :)
Runs great.
Advertising
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

Awesome release, thanks!
sega dude

Post by sega dude »

Very happy to see this. Chocolate Doom is my favorite Doom port. I've also been wanting a way to play Heretic on my Vita. Thanks for this!
Vita 1101 3.60
PlayStation TV 3.60
PS3 Phat 4.76
Chris_Highwind

Post by Chris_Highwind »

Awesome to see a Doom engine other than PrBoom implemented!

Unfortunately, it seems the FreeDoom wads are not supported, and I'm too broke to buy the actual wads. Disregard, if you change FreeDoom Phases 1 and 2's filenames to doom.wad and doom2.wad respectively, they load and run fine. Still would be nice to differentiate them if you have the original Doom games and want the content FreeDoom has as well.
PS3 Super-Slim 500 GB
PS Vita (32 GB Memory Stick): Henkaku Enso 3.60
PS4
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

Chris_Highwind wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm Awesome to see a Doom engine other than PrBoom implemented!

Unfortunately, it seems the FreeDoom wads are not supported, and I'm too broke to buy the actual wads. Disregard, if you change FreeDoom Phases 1 and 2's filenames to doom.wad and doom2.wad respectively, they load and run fine. Still would be nice to differentiate them if you have the original Doom games and want the content FreeDoom has as well.
Yeah, FreeDoom and Chex Quest are supported, but the launcher doesn't recognize them. I will fix that in the next release.
Chris_Highwind

Post by Chris_Highwind »

fgsfds wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:03 pm
Chris_Highwind wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm Awesome to see a Doom engine other than PrBoom implemented!

Yeah, FreeDoom and Chex Quest are supported, but the launcher doesn't recognize them. I will fix that in the next release.
Can confirm that Chex Quest is supported, however, the episode names, in-game messages, and quit message all still use regular Doom messages, with the episode names using the Doom font and color (Swapped out the Shareware Doom wad for Chex Quest). Not sure if it's because of using it in Shareware Doom's slot, or if the original Chex Quest did that too. (You'll need to find "chex.deh" and add it in the Customs tab for the in-game and quit messages to display Chex-related messages. Episode names are still Doom names, font, and color). Everything else works fine, and you can even select episodes other than 1. Going to test Chex Quest 2.

EDIT: Chex Quest 2 also works, but it needs to be in the PWAD/doom folder and run alongside whatever game you have Chex Quest renamed to. chex3.wad (a ZDoom mod with Chex Quest 1, 2, and a 3rd installment) closes Chocolate Doom without a crash dump when trying to boot it up
PS3 Super-Slim 500 GB
PS Vita (32 GB Memory Stick): Henkaku Enso 3.60
PS4
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

so I'm not saying this in a d.ick way but is there no way to scale the graphics so they aren't pixelated? I mean even the 3ds version is less pixelated
fgsfds

Post by fgsfds »

deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm so I'm not saying this in a d.ick way but is there no way to scale the graphics so they aren't pixelated? I mean even the 3ds version is less pixelated
There will be multiple different scaling modes in the next release. There's no way to do that in R1.
deathblade200

Post by deathblade200 »

fgsfds wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 pm
deathblade200 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm so I'm not saying this in a d.ick way but is there no way to scale the graphics so they aren't pixelated? I mean even the 3ds version is less pixelated
There will be multiple different scaling modes in the next release. There's no way to do that in R1.
good to know man

Return to “HENkaku”